Why work for the Federal Bureau of Prisons?
You can have a meaningful career with an agency that truly values a diverse workforce. You will find a diverse workforce employed from entry level jobs to senior management positions. We protect public safety by ensuring federal offenders serve their sentences of imprisonment in facilities that are safe, humane, and provide reentry programming. Employees at correctional facilities perform correctional work regardless of their specific occupation.
Learn more about this agency
Plans, organizes, conducts and reports on evaluations of agency programs and operations within the area of Food Service. Findings and recommendations are aimed at substantive improvements to operations or program efficiency.
As a team leader, he/she is the agency expert, on site, in the area of Food Service regarding any issue that surfaces during the course of a program review.
Gives direction to a team of evaluators who are at the department head level or who are specialists in a particular component of the discipline.
Develops or modifies evaluation objectives, work plans, guidelines, scope, methods, staff requirements and time schedules to meet project needs. Schedules evaluations to effect the most efficient and economical use of resources.
Coordinates all aspects of the evaluation, including interviews, gathering facts and other data, reviewing a wide variety of records and reports, analyzing data and determining sufficiency, reliability and relevance of evidence used to support the conclusions and re- commendations.
Prepares or oversees the drafting of reports, summaries and memos, and reviews reports for conformance to policy and procedures, evaluation plans and guidelines.
Occasional travel – Travel may be required for work related issues.
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship is Required.
- See Special Conditions of Employment Section.
The Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provides eligible surplus and displaced competitive service employees in the Department of Justice with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. If your Department of Justice component has notified you in writing that you are a surplus or displaced employee eligible for CTAP eligibility, you may receive selection priority if: 1) this vacancy is within your CTAP eligibility; 2) you apply under the instructions in this announcement; and 3) you are found well qualified for this vacancy. To be well qualified, you must satisfy all qualification requirements for the vacant position and score 85 or better on established ranking criteria. You must provide a copy of your written notification of CTAP eligibility with your application. Additional information about CTAP eligibility is at: Click Here
How Do I Qualify for this Position? To be considered for the position, you must meet the following qualification requirements:
There is no substitution of education for specialized experience for this position.
You must have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and complexity to the next lower grade level in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Specialized experience is directly related experience that included substantial involvement with a correctional program and provided a thorough knowledge of correctional techniques, or experience in meeting and dealing with people that demonstrated the ability to work effectively with inmates and associates in a correctional environment.
Experience must have also demonstrated the ability to perform supervisory or administrative duties successfully. This includes (1)understanding the problems of custody, treatment, training, and release of inmates of penal or correctional institutions;(2)a thorough and comprehensive knowledge of an institution's internal policies, programs, regulations, and procedures; and (3) training subordinates, coordinating and directing activities and functions, evaluating performance of operations and the effectiveness of programs, and maintaining high standards or work objectives. This experience must have been gained in an administrative position, or in other positions that included the successful direction, or assistance in the direction of, an entire correctional program or a major phase of such a program.
Some examples of this qualifying experience are:
- Experience that demonstrates knowledge of review standards, concepts, principles, practices and theories to evaluate Food Service operations.
- Experience conducting and reporting on evaluations of programs and operations within the area of Food Service.
- Experience assessing the significance of evaluation and assessment findings, discerning trends and systematic concerns for further analysis.
- Experience in reviewing problem areas and recommending changes in policies and program direction to correct deficiencies, strengthen controls, and improve operational efficiency and effectiveness.
If applicable, credit will be given for paid and unpaid experience. To receive proper credit, you must show the actual time (such as the number of hours worked per week) spent in activities.
**Your eligibility for consideration will be based on your responses to the questions in the application.**
This position IS NOT included in the bargaining unit.
In accordance with 5 U.S.C. 3307, a maximum entry age of 36 has been established for initial appointment to a position in a Bureau of Prisons institution.
The representative rate for this position is $112,930 per annum ($54.11 per hour).
Special Conditions of Employment Section:
The incumbent is subject to geographic relocation to meet the needs of the agency.
Appointment is subject to satisfactory completion of a urinalysis, physical, and background investigation. All applicants are subject to National Crime Information Center (NCIC) and credit checks.
The Core Value Assessment (CVA) is an in-person assessment that must be facilitated at a Bureau of Prisons Human Resource Servicing office. On the day of the scheduled interview, a CVA will be administered. The applicant assessment must be completed within a 70 minute time period and a passing score must be obtained. Further employment consideration will not be extended if the applicant fails to complete the examination or fails to achieve a passing score. Note: The Core Value Assessment will not be administered to current BOP employees.
The addresses listed on the USAJOBS account/resume must be the primary residence at the time of application. You may be required to provide proof of residence.
Additional selections may be made if vacancies occur within the life of the certificate.
This is a secondary law enforcement coverage position. Individuals that DO NOT have three years of law enforcement coverage gained in a primary law enforcement position by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, will not be eligible for this position.
NOTE: Telework eligible after 6 months.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
If your composite score exceeds the average score for this job, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your online assessment questionnaire responses and utilized to determine whether you meet the job qualifications listed in this announcement. If you rate yourself higher than what is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job. If you are found to be among the top candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
There are several parts of the application process that affect the overall evaluation of your application:
- Your resume, which is part of your USAJOBS profile;
- Your responses to the eligibility questions;
- Your responses to the online assessment questionnaire;
- Your supporting documentation, if required.
Time-in-Grade: Federal employees must meet time-in-grade requirements for consideration. You must meet all qualification requirements upon the closing date of this announcement.
If you applied to more than one grade level, BE ADVISED that you may be selected at ANY grade level for which you applied and are found qualified (i.e., if the job is announced at the 9/11 grade levels and you apply for the GS/GL-9 and the GS-11,and you are found qualified at BOTH grade levels, you may be selected at either grade level).
What Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities are Required for this Position?
The following Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA's) are required:
- Ability to communicate orally.
- Ability to communicate in writing.
- Ability to analyze information and make recommendations particularly in regards to the formulation of policies, plans, and/or programs.
- Knowledge of correctional institution management and administration.
- Knowledge of the functions of a Food Service Department.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- Resume showing relevant experience (cover letter optional).
- In order to receive credit for experience contained in an uploaded resume, your employment history must be documented in month/year format (MM/YYYY), reflecting starting date and ending date and include the number of hours worked per week. Failure to follow this format may result in disqualification.
- Current or former Federal employees NOT employed by the Bureau of Prisons MUST submit a copy of their SF-50 Form which shows competitive service appointment, tenure group, and salary. If you have promotion potential in your current position, please provide proof. If you are applying for a higher grade, and your experience was gained at a Federal agency other than the Bureau of Prisons, you MUST provide the SF-50 Form which verifies the length of time you have been in your highest grade and supports your claim for time in grade.
- Employees applying with an interchange agreement must provide proof of their permanent appointment.
- Current federal employees NOT employed by the BOP and former federal employees MUST submit a copy of their latest yearly performance appraisal/evaluation.
- CTAP, Click Here , if applicable.
- A college transcript which includes the School Name, Student Name, Degree and Date Awarded, if applicable. (Note: If you are selected for this position, official transcript(s) will be required prior to your first day.)
Failure to provide these documents could possibly result in removal from consideration for this vacancy. If uploading documentation, do not identify/save your documents utilizing a special character such as %, #, , etc. Documentation should be identified/saved as VA Letter, DD214, or Transcripts.
We cannot be held responsible for incompatible software, delays in mail service, applicant application errors, etc.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.