Corporate Counsel, Tax
9.4 billion spend on Research and Development. That dedication resulted in 24 major regulatory approvals in 2019 in the US, EU, Japan and China.
As the Tax Director joining the Tax Planning team you wo;; play an integral role in M&A for acquisitions, business development and licensing deals, collaboration transactions, divestitures and restructurings including due diligence, design and implementation of structuring, financing and post-acquisition integration.
This role requires strong tax technical skills including the application and interpretation of U.S. federal income tax law as it relates to C corporations, consolidated tax groups and U.S. international tax, including those related to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (e.g., 163(j), BEAT, FDII, expense apportionment) and cross-border tax. You will report directly to the Executive Director, Tax Planning and actively partner with cross-border and cross-functional business leaders.
YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
– Be an integral part of the cross-border M&A tax team focused on acquisitions, business development and licensing deals, collaboration agreements, divestitures and restructurings including due diligence, structuring, financing, contract review and post-merger integration.
– Identify, develop and implement strategic tax planning initiatives and coordinate with key partners, including senior management, legal, finance, treasury, operations, supply chain, commercial, regulatory affairs, human resources and government affairs, to ensure projects are completed timely and accurately reflected on the Companys financials.
– Provide technical leadership & assess the impact of the changing legislative environment, expansion of the business, M&A transactions, corporate initiatives, accounting methods and pronouncements on the Company.
– Conduct research and draft tax memoranda on a variety of tax matters. Build and manage complex models for purposes of assessing the tax impacts of transactions and strategic initiatives. Communicate impact of transactions to team members and leadership.
– Demonstrate a global mindset. Communicate and collaborate with cross-functional team members colleagues affiliates around the world.
– Support the transfer pricing team with assessing multitude of intercompany transaction flows, supply chain and cross-border IP planning. Review intercompany agreements. Assist as needed with U.S. international tax controversies and IRS audit defense.
– Collaborate across the tax department to develop staff and cultivate a work environment which provides supervision and development opportunities for tax staff.
– Build and maintain close working relationships across corporate and business functions throughout the organization to help facilitate timely and accurate tax reporting and execution of tax strategy. Lead continuous improvement practices deployment for the tax planning function. Provide ongoing support to global and local tax groups related to tax planning.
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
WHAT YOU WILL BRING TO THIS ROLE:
– JD with LLM in Taxation or Masters of Science of Taxation required; Bachelors degree in Accounting or Finance preferred.
– Minimum of 10 years progressive strategic tax experience in U.S. and international tax planning with a Big 4 accounting firm or major law firm, and in the tax department of a large publicly-held multinational corporate tax department. Pharmaceutical proven experience preferred.
– Strong technical knowledge and legal research and writing skills, with experience covering a broad range of complex tax matters.
– Experience with M&A, spin-offs, divestitures, licensing and collaboration transactions. Familiarity with transfer pricing, tax controversy, financial reporting and tax compliance. Shown experience developing and implementing cross-border transactions.
– Outstanding business communication skills to effectively relate tax issues to senior leadership; ability to form relationships and collaborate extensively with key business partners and stakeholders.
– Leadership and management experience, including development and mentor of teams and individuals.
– Excellent organization, project management, and interpersonal skills.
– Forge strong collaborative and credible relationships with external auditors, external tax and legal advisors, and taxing authorities.
– Able to handle and manage change in a proactive way. Strong team player who generates passion, collaboration, credibility and dedication.
– Strong proficiency with PowerPoint and Excel.
POSITION WILL COMMENSURATE ACCORDING TO EXPERIENCE
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you are given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data, empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where youre surrounded by people who share your determination to seek the worlds toughest medical challenges.
JOIN US AS WE RE-IMAGINE MEDICINE
Global Corp. Finance
East Hanover, NJ
Legal & Intellectual Property & Compliance