The incumbent of this position is a Training Instructor assigned to the Police Operations Division, Training Branch, Office of Security, Washington D.C. The Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP) is the Federal agency tasked with being the most secure and efficient producer of U.S. currency and government securities.
Learn more about this agency
This opportunity is also open to Status eligibles under Announcement 21-BEP-61. Please refer to that announcement for details on open period, eligibility, and how to apply.
The following are the duties of this position at the GS-11. If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
- Research, develop, plan, and instruct assigned training courses.
- Produce a complete self-contained training product that includes training objectives, lecture content, training aids, student activities, instructional methods and testing instruments.
- Review and evaluate professional and technical guides, reports, manuals, and other recognized sources of information.
- Research and evaluate Federal law and regulation, departmental and Bureau security manuals and directives, and law enforcement materials from a variety of Federal, state, and local law enforcement and security organizations.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be U.S. Citizen or U.S. National
The experience may have been gained in either the public or private sector or volunteer service . One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/day/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week on your résumé.
SUITABILITY, CLEARANCE & REQUIREMENTS: A background investigation will be required for all new hires. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for disqualification in the hiring process. The background investigation process conducted by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing is very thorough. Therefore it is imperative that applicants exercise candor and honesty when answering background questionnaires, especially as it relates to arrest, employment, education, finances, illegal drug use, and/or other criminal history. Falsification discovered in security documents or during the background investigation process may result in an immediate negative suitability determination or immediate revocation of your interim clearance (if applicable).
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
Specialized experience:For the GS-11, you must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-9 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes:
- Developing training courses and lesson plans; AND
- Updating training materials; AND
- Training law enforcement or security courses to police officers or security personnel.
You may qualify on education: Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.M., if related (If applicable). As indicated in the Individual Occupational Requirements, the Graduate Education must include a major study in education or a subject area related to the position to be filled.
You may qualify with a combination of qualifying education and specialized experience. For example, the completion of 50% of the requirements for a Ph.D. and six (6) months of Specialized Experience (50%) totals to 100% and meets the minimum qualifications requirement.
Specialized experience:For the GS-9, you must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-7 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes:
- Developing Training courses and Lesson Plans; AND
- Updating training materials
You may substitute education for specialized experience as follows: Masters or equivalent graduate degree OR 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree OR LL.B. or J.D. if related.
You may qualify by a combination of experience and education. Only graduate education in excess of 18 semester hours (27 quarter hours) may be used in combination with experience.
Specialized experience:For the GS-7, you must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-05 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes:
- Assisting in developing training courses and lesson plans; AND
- Assisting with updating training materials
You may substitute education for specialized experience as follows: One full year of graduate level education OR superior academic achievement.
You may qualify with a combination of education and experience in which the percentage of specialized experience and education totals to 100%.
– We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
– This is a bargaining unit position.
– We offer opportunities for telework.
– The facility typically shuts down annually between Christmas and New Year's Day. As such, all BEP employees must take leave for work days during the shutdown period.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
– A one year probationary period may be required.
– Public Trust – Background Investigation will be required.
– Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency
– If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
– Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
– Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9 . Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
– Submit to a drug test prior to your appointment and random drug testing while you occupy the position.
– Weekend work and overtime, if applicable, will be scheduled when needed based on production requirements as determined by Management.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your résumé, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your résumé includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a "not qualified" determination.
Rating: Your application will be evaluated in the following areas: Communication, Project Management, and Analytical. Category rating will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. If qualified, you will be assigned to one of three quality level categories, Gold, Silver, and Bronze depending on your responses to the online questions, regarding your experience, education, and training related to this position. A subject matter expert may be used in the evaluation. Your rating may be lowered if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
Veterans' preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Preference-eligibles will be listed at the top of their assigned category and considered before non-preference-eligibles in that category. Qualified preference-eligibles with a compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest category.
Referral: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. You may be required to participate in a selection interview. We will not reimburse costs related to the interview such as travel to and from the interview site.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP )) you must be assigned the middle category or better to be rated as "well qualified" to receive special selection priority.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
A complete application includes 1. A résumé, 2. Vacancy question responses, and 3. Submission of any required documents. Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you may not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
All applicants are required to submit a résumé either by creating one in USAJOBS or uploading one of their own choosing. (Cover letters are optional.) To receive full credit for relevant experience, please list the month/date/year and number of hours worked for experience listed on your résumé. We suggest that you preview the online questions, as you may need to customize your résumé to ensure that it supports your responses to these questions. Please view résumé tips .
VETERANS' PREFERENCE DOCUMENTATION: If you are claiming veterans preference, please see applicant guide for required documentation . In order to be considered for veterans preference, you must submit all required documentation as outlined in the applicant guide.
CAREER TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PLAN (CTAP) OR INTERAGENCY CAREER TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PLAN (ICTAP) DOCUMENTATION: If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee, click CTAP/ICTAP for eligibility and a detailed list of required documents.
EDUCATION DOCUMENTATION: For positions with an education requirement, or if you are qualifying for this position by substituting education or training for experience, submit a copy of your transcripts or equivalent. An official transcript will be required if you are selected.
A college or university degree generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools which meet these criteria, please refer to Department of Education Accreditation page . If you are qualifying based on foreign education, you must submit proof of creditability of education as evaluated by a credentialing agency. Refer to the OPM instructions .
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.