The incumbent serves as a Strategic Policy Officer (Cyber and Emerging Technology) and subject matter expert on cybersecurity and emerging technology issues in the Office of Strategic Policy (OSP) of the Policy Division (PD) of the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network.
Learn more about this agency
4- Security Clearance: This position has been designated National Security Level IV, Special Sensitive and requires the incumbent to obtain and maintain eligibility for a Top Secret (TS) clearance with Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) access. Applicant must meet and continue to adhere to the requirements of a Tier 5 level background investigation. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination. Continued employment with FinCEN is contingent upon satisfactory completion of the Tier 5 level background investigation, the results of which fully meet the FinCEN's special employment criteria. All employees are subject to satisfactory completion of periodic reinvestigation and a continuing life style in conformity with applicable national and FinCEN directives. Any unfavorable information developed during an investigation or other official inquiry may result in termination of employment in accordance with established security policies and procedures.
The following are the duties of this position at the GS-14 . If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
- Provide expert advice on cryptocurrency, virtual currency, and emerging technology-related illicit finance threats, risks and
vulnerabilities to assist in the development of policy responses to these challenges. Provide subject matter expertise on regulatory technology, financial technology, and digital identity issues.
- Perform a range of extremely complex, sensitive assignments related to virtual currency, cryptocurrency, and emerging technology-related including the issuance of advisories and other guidance to financial institutions.
- Collaborate with partners and stakeholders, including regulated institutions, examining and regulated agencies, government and industry entities, and law enforcement, on an array of cryptocurrency, virtual currency, emerging technology, digital identity, and illicit finance policy issues.
Occasional travel – Occasional travel may required
Conditions of Employment
- Please refer to "Conditions of Employment." Click "Print Preview" to review
- Must be U.S. Citizens or U.S. Nationals
This opportunity is also open to Status eligibles under Announcement 21-FinCEN-30. Please refer to that announcement for details on open period, eligibility, and how to apply.
The experience may have been gained in either the public or private sector. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/day/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week on your resume.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
Specialized experience for the GS-14: You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-13 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience is defined as:
– Conducting research and analysis of regulations or policies related to Cryptocurrency, Virtual Currency, Digital Identity, Regulatory Technology, or Financial Technology which comply with the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) or similar laws; OR
– Developing strategies to mitigate threats related to Cryptocurrency, Virtual Currency, Digital Identity, Regulatory Technology, or Financial Technology.
Specialized experience for the GS-13: You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience is defined as:
– Participates in developing virtual currency and other emerging technologies advisories, policies, or regulations which comply with the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) or other similar laws; OR
– Assisting in the development of written materials containing research findings and recommendations related to virtual currency and other emerging technologies; OR
– Research and analysis of regulations or policies related to Cryptocurrency, Virtual Currency, Digital Identity, Regulatory Technology, or Financial Technology.
Become part of the team that safeguards the financial system from the abuses of financial crime. At the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN), we are at the forefront in preventing and detecting terrorist financing, money laundering, and other financial crime. Serve at the nation's financial intelligence unit and protect the United States financial system from criminals and terrorist financiers.
– We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
– This is a non-bargaining unit position.
– A recruitment incentive may be offered.
– Student loan repayment may be offered.
– We offer opportunities for telework.
– We offer opportunities for flexible work schedules.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
– A one year probationary period may be required.
– Must successfully complete a background investigation.
– Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency
– If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
– Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
– Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9 . Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
– Submit to a drug test prior to your appointment and random drug testing while you occupy the position.
– Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
– File a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report within 30 days of appointment and annually from then on.
– Undergo an income tax verification.
All candidates will be considered regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, protected genetic information, status of a parent, lawful political affiliation, marital status, physical/mental disability (if not a job factor), membership, non-membership in an employee organization, or any other non-merit factor. To file a complaint of discrimination, contact FinCEN, Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity on (703) 905-5052 or TDD (703) 905-3838.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your resume, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a "not qualified" determination.
Rating: Your application will be evaluated in the following areas: Technical, Analytical, and Communication. Category rating will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. If qualified, you will be assigned to one of three quality level categories, Gold, Silver, or Bronze depending on your responses to the online questions, regarding your experience, education, and training related to this position. Your rating may be lowered if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
Veterans' preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Preference-eligibles will be listed at the top of their assigned category and considered before non-preference-eligibles in that category. Qualified preference-eligibles with a compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest category.
Referral: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. You may be required to participate in a selection interview.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) ) you must be assigned the middle category or better to be rated as "well qualified" to receive special selection priority.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Sensitive Compartmented Information
Drug test required
A complete application includes 1. A resume, 2. Vacancy question responses, and 3. Submission of any required documents. Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you may not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
All applicants are required to submit a resume either by creating one in USAJOBS or uploading one of their own choosing. (Cover letters are optional.) To receive full credit for relevant experience, please list the month/date/year and number of hours worked for experience listed on your resume. We suggest that you preview the online questions, as you may need to customize your resume to ensure that it supports your responses to these questions. Please view resume tips .
VETERANS' PREFERENCE DOCUMENTATION: If you are claiming veterans' preference, please see applicant guide for required documentation . In order to be considered for veterans preference, you must submit all required documentation as outlined in the applicant guide.
CAREER TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PLAN (CTAP) OR INTERAGENCY CAREER TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PLAN (ICTAP) DOCUMENTATION: If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee, click CTAP/ICTAP for eligibility and a detailed list of required documents.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.