This position is located in the Department of Health And Human Services, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR), Division of Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear Threats, Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA) located in Washington, District of Columbia.
This announcement will remain open for 10 business days OR until the first 200 applications have been received, whichever happens first.
Learn more about this agency
- Serve as an Officer Technical Representative (COTR)/Project Officer (PO) for program management, administration, and evaluation of advanced development, and acquisition of medical countermeasures as assigned by senior leadership of BARDA.
- Coordinate/manage work through functional areas including technical oversight of manufacturing, testing, clinical and non-clinical, regulatory and quality aspects of advanced development/acquisition programs of a multi-faceted acquisition process.
- Analyze the expected impact of contemplated budget revisions, program adjustments, economic trends, or directives to provide information to senior leadership such as cost, schedule and performance aspects.
- Manage a variety of comprehensive development programs that require the utilization of milestone-driven contracts and incremental funding to support multiple medical countermeasure candidates in the advanced stages of product development.
- Provide scientific oversight for acquisition of assigned vaccine or other medical countermeasures including providing a programmatic interface to logistics support.
- Evaluate the licensure process of existing medical countermeasures that were developed originally by the private sector which may have utility for addressing CBRN threats, pandemic influenza, and emerging infectious diseases.
25% or less – You may be expected to travel 20% of the time for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship required
- Registered or exempt from Selective Service (www.sss.gov)
- If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication.
- One year probationary period may be required
- If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System.
- All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choice.
- Financial disclosure statement may be required.
- Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses may be paid: Maybe
- Bargaining Unit Position: No
- Drug Screening Required: Maybe
- Recruitment incentives may be authorized: Maybe
- Student loan repayment incentive may be authorized: Maybe
- Annual leave for non-federal service may be authorized: Maybe
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance.
Applicants must demonstrate that they meet the Basic AND Specialized Experience requirements as noted below.
Basic Requirement: You must meet one of the items listed below (A or B):
A. Possess a bachelor's or higher degree in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position. (Must provide transcripts)
B. Possess a combination of education and experience — education equivalent to one of the majors shown in A above plus appropriate experience or additional education. (Must provide transcript)
GS-15: You must possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and responsibility to the GS-14 level in the Federal service that includes the following:
- Analyzing and verifying the feasibility of advanced system design and integration within established and planned architectures throughout an organization;
- Evaluating and integrating scientific policy into guidelines and criteria in the area of vaccines or other medical countermeasures;
- Formulating and utilizing various project/program management control and tracking techniques to establish and monitor program/project performance;
- Developing, scheduling, coordinating, and managing projects and resources, including monitoring and inspecting costs, work and contractor performance;
- Interpreting and applying regulations, internal acquisition policies, and reviewing acquisition materials including statements of work (SOWs), sole source justifications, cost estimates and other documentation to support acquisition requests for goods and services; and
- Giving advice to internal/external stakeholders related to developing, communicating, and/or enhancing program matters involving interaction with all counterparts.
- Education: You must submit a copy of your college transcripts (official or unofficial) to document meeting the Basic Requirement.
- Experience: Your resume must explicitly indicate how you meet this requirement, otherwise you will be found ineligible.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through national Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to gain employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. If such experience is on a part-time basis, you must provide the average number of hours worked per week as well as the beginning and ending dates of the experience so it can be fully credited.
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
If you are claiming education as any part of your qualifications for this position, you must submit an official transcript, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned.
This position requires specific coursework and/or a degree to meet the basic education requirement. You must submit an official transcript, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. Your transcript(s) must clearly demonstrate the course(s) listed in the qualification requirement section. If the transcript(s) does not clearly demonstrate this you must submit a copy of the course description and/or other documentation demonstrating that the courses are equivalent.
Special Instructions for Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. Failure to provide such documentation with your application will result in lost consideration. For further information, visit: https: sites.ed.gov/international/recognition-of-foreign-qualifications/ .
In accordance with Executive Order 12564 of September 14, 1986, The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is A Drug-Free Federal Workplace. The use of illegal drugs, on or off duty, by Federal employees is inconsistent not only with the law-abiding behavior expected of all citizens, but also with the special trust placed in such employees as servants of the public.
Reasonable Accommodation: This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please see Agency Contact Information for whom to contact for more info. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. You must contact the HR contact on the vacancy announcement at least three business days before the closing date of this announcement to receive assistance. For more information on disability employment, please visit https: www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/disability-employment/
Selective Service: Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service – http: www.sss.gov
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http: opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap . To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
Political appointment: Beginning January 1, 2010, agencies must seek prior approval from OPM before they can appoint a current or recent political appointee to a competitive or non-political excepted service position at any level under the provisions of title 5, United States Code. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C, or Non-career SES employee in the executive branch, you MUST disclose that to the Human Resources Office.
If you are unable to apply online, please go to https: help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Alternate_Application_Information for more information on our alternate application method.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Additional selections may be made for similar positions across the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) within the local commuting area(s) of the location identified in this announcement. By applying, you agree to have your application shared with interested selecting official(s) at HHS. Clearance of CTAP/ICTAP will be applied for similar positions across HHS.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Direct Hire Authority: These positions will be filled through the Office of Personnel Management's Direct Hire Authority. The "Rule of Three", Category Rating and Veterans Preference will not apply to this vacancy. For more information on Direct Hire Authority, please see: OPM Direct Hire Fact Sheet .
Veterans: Although the Direct Hire Authority permits hiring without regard to Veterans Preference, applicants who are eligible for Veterans Preference are still encouraged to include that information in their application and submit supporting documentation (i.e. DD-214, or other substantiating documents). View information on veterans' preference .
We will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. If you are qualified, you may be referred to the hiring manager for consideration and may be called for an interview.
To preview the assessment questionnaire, click the following link: https: apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10976631
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
Submission of a resume alone IS NOT a complete application. You must provide a complete online Application Package which includes:
- Your Resume must clearly articulate how your skills and experiences align to the criteria defined in the qualifications section of this announcement and it must support your responses to the assessment questionnaire. For each position you must describe your duties, accomplishments, related skills, and responsibilities. Your resume must also include the day, month, and year that you began and ended as well as hours worked per week (if less than 40) for each position held. Full-time employment will be assumed unless otherwise stated on your resume. Part-time employment will be prorated in crediting experience. Not providing this information may result in the lowering of your assessment score or an ineligible rating. For resume writing guidance, please visit the USAJobs Resource Center or view their video tutorial .
- A complete Assessment Questionnaire ( https: apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10976631 )
Other Supporting Documents: (Only Submit if applicable to you.)
- College transcript (if qualifying all or in part based on your education)
- Veterans' Preference documentation:
- Discharged Veterans: If you are claiming 5 point preference, you must submit a copy of your DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from the armed forces that supports dates of service and discharge status; if claiming 10 point preference, an application for 10-Point Veterans Preference (SF-15) and an official document dated 1991 or later, from the Department of Veterans Affairs or from a branch of the Armed Forces, and/or any other associated documentation based on your preference.
- Active Duty Members: Under the VOW (Veterans Opportunity to Work) to Hire Heroes Act of 2011, if claiming 5 point preference, submit written documentation from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted with your application package.
- ICTAP/CTAP Documentation:
- A copy of your RIF separation notice, notice of proposed removal for failure to relocate, notice of disability annuity termination, or certification from the National Guard Bureau or Military Department that you are eligible for disability retirement;
- A copy of your SF-50 "Notification of Personnel Action'', documenting your RIF separation, noting your positions, grade level, and duty location, and/or Agency certification of inability to place you through RPL, etc;
- A copy of your latest performance appraisal including your rating; and
- Any documentation from your agency that shows your current promotion potential.
You are not required to submit official documents at this time; copies are sufficient.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.