This position is located in the OCC's Economics Department, in Washington, DC.
As a Senior Financial Economist in the Commercial Credit Risk Analysis Division you will serve as a senior staff member with responsibility for conducting and managing activities involving the application of economic theories and principles to plan and conduct publishable academic research, internal white papers and analysis and participate in bank examinations.
Learn more about this agency
As a Senior Financial Economist, you will:
- Conducts complex on-site and off-site bank/thrift savings association-specific analyses that relate to commercial credit risk, regulatory capital requirements, loss forecasting, operational risk, portfolio management, and related macroeconomic forecasts.
- Conducts research and prepares professional papers that can be published in peer reviewed academic journals in such areas of finance, banking, econometrics, other related applied economic or banking/finance fields.
- Retains, develops and enhances knowledge and skills to ensure appropriate quantitative, econometric, and/or statistical techniques are used in banks' and federal savings associations' model risk examinations and policy analysis.
- Initiates, conducts, and manages model risk related research projects to facilitate the development and understanding of new techniques and issues emerging from model risk examination.
- Responds to requests for economic analysis of issues affecting the banking, credit and financial markets and broad CCC operations from the Comptroller and senior managers by contributing to data collection, analysis and interpretation.
Occasional travel – Travel within and outside of the local commuting area to attend meetings, bank exams, conferences and training.
Conditions of Employment
- Complete a 1-year probationary period (unless already completed).
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9 . Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
- Travel occasionally to attend conferences and/or training.
- Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
- File an OCC Financial Disclosure Form.
- Complete a financial disclosure review and resolve any ethics issues.
- Click here for important information about OCC ethics standards, such as the requirement that new hires divest their bank securities.
- Successfully complete a background investigation that includes criminal history, financial history (including a credit check) and other information.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
- Degree (Undergraduate and/or Graduate) in Economics, that included at least 21 semester hours in economics and 3 semester hours in statistics, accounting, or calculus. OR
- A combination of education and experience: Courses equivalent to a major in economics, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education. Examples of qualifying experience include: a) individual economic research assignments requiring planning, information assembly, analysis and evaluation, conclusions and report preparation; b) supervisory or project coordination assignments involving a staff of professional economists, and requiring the evaluation and interpretation of economic information; or c) teaching assignments in a college or university that included both class instruction in economics subjects and one of the following (1) personal research that produced evidence of results, (2) direction of graduate theses in economics, or (3) service as a consultant or advisor on technical economics problems.
In addition to meeting the BASIC REQUIREMENTS above, you must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the NB-V band level or GS-13 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience is experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position and is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. Specialized experience for this position is:
- Conducting and managing research projects and activities involving the application of economic, financial, and quantitative theories, principles and methods; and
- Analyzing and interpreting data related to the banking and financial industry.
This experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector, or through volunteer service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis.
To receive any credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate the number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
Please see Qualifications section for education.
Salary range includes 20% geographical pay.
If you are a current OCC employee who previously received a waiver determination permitting you to retain bank securities due to extenuating circumstances, please note that this determination may be rescinded if the nature of your duties changes. We strongly suggest that you discuss the potential implications of any change in duties on a prior securities determination with your ethics official.
We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more positions.
Click all links in this vacancy announcement to view additional information and instructions.
Please refer to "Conditions of Employment."
Click "Print" to review the entire announcement before applying.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your resume, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a "not qualified" determination.
Referral : All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications for the position will be referred to the selecting official for consideration. You may be required to participate in a selection interview.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) , you must be Well-Qualified to receive special selection priority. "Well-Qualified" means conducting and managing research projects and activities involving the application of economic/econometric techniques and quantitative modeling related to capital markets examination of national banks/federal savings associations.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
A complete application includes: 1) A resume, 2) vacancy question responses, and 3) submission of any required documents. Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you may not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
RESUME: All applicants are required to submit a resume by either creating one in USAJOBS or uploading one of their own choosing. (Cover letters are optional.) To receive any credit for relevant experience, please list the month/year and number of hours worked for experience listed on your resume. We suggest you preview the online questions, as you may need to customize your resume to ensure that it supports your responses to these questions. Please review Resume Tips .
CAREER TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PLAN (CTAP) or INTERAGENCY CAREER TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PLAN (ICTAP) DOCUMENTATION: If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee, click CTAP/ICTAP for eligibility and a detailed list of required documents.
EDUCATION DOCUMENTATION: This position has an education requirement. For positions with an education requirement, or if you are qualifying for this position by substituting education or training for experience, submit a copy of your transcripts or equivalent. An official transcript will be required if you are selected. If you are qualifying based on foreign education, you must submit proof of creditability of education as evaluated by a credentialing agency. Refer to the OPM instructions .
OPTIONAL DOCUMENTS : In addition, you may submit the following:
– Cover letter
– Recent performance evaluation (be sure to redact/remove all sensitive information prior to submitting)
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.