These positions are located at Assateague Island National Seashore, in the Resource Management Division.
This is a Temporary NTE 1039 Hour Position: Employment may be terminated at any time due to fluctuations in funding levels, project needs, employee performance, or other considerations.
Learn more about this agency
Statement of Duties:
The typical seasonal entry-on-duty period for Assateague Island National Seashore is May to November, but can be variable during these months due to weather conditions, project needs, or funding.
Anticipated Entry on Duty: 05/09/2021
Major Duties are as follows:
The incumbent will serve as a vegetation resource technician for Assateague Island National Seashore and will treat invasive plant infestations with herbicides. The technician will assist permanent park staff with conducting vegetation surveys and implement various resource management inventory and monitoring activities. The incumbent will work independently and as a member of a field team in order to complete daily field activities.
The incumbent prepares and applies herbicide chemicals and maintains application equipment; maintains detailed records of field activities; uses global positioning systems (GPS) equipment to record spatial and attribute data; processes data; produces summary maps and reports; and operates a four wheel drive vehicle. The technician will also be trained to conduct QA/QC and metadata requirements for all aspects of data collection and work output.
The incumbent must be willing and able to hike through marsh, sand, and forest while carrying up to 50 pounds of equipment; to work outdoors in cold, hot, wet, humid, and/or buggy conditions; to work at a computer for extended periods of time (up to 8 hours),
The position is within the park's Resource Management Division (headquartered near Berlin, MD). For more information go to: http: www.nps.gov/asis .
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The work is partially sedentary with prolonged standing, walking, and bending often required. Heavy items (e.g. packs and equipment up to 50 pounds) must be lifted and carried on a routine basis.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work is performed in an office, laboratory, and in the field. Field work includes exposure to extreme weather conditions and terrain, pesticides, poisonous plants, biting insects, and wild animals. Laboratory work may involve exposure to hazardous chemicals.
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship required.
- Appointment subject to background investigation and favorable adjudication.
- Meet Selective Service Registration Act requirement for males.
- DIRECT DEPOSIT: Selectee will be required to participate in the Direct Deposit Electronics Funds Transfer Program.
- DRIVER'S LICENSE: You will be required to operate a government (or private) motor vehicle as part of your official duties; a valid driver's license is required. You may also be required to submit a Motor Vehicle Operator's License and Driving Record. You must also submit (within a State sealed envelope or submitted directly by the State authorities), and at your own expense, all certified driving records from all States that disclose all valid driver's licenses, whether current or past, possessed by you.
- VEHICLE OPERATION: You may be required to complete training and operate a four-wheel drive vehicle.
- UNIFORM: You will be required to wear a uniform and comply with the National Park Service uniform standards. A uniform allowance will be provided.
- MINIMUM AGE: Applicants must be at least 18 years old due to the hazardous work (ie. driving a motor vehicle, etc.).
- RELOCATION: Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will not be paid. All travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the sole responsibility of the selected employee.
- WORK SCHEDULE: You may be required to work on-call, evenings, weekends, holidays, overtime and shift work.
- TRAVEL: You may be required to travel locally.
- HOUSING: Government housing may be available.
All qualifications must be met by the closing date of this announcement-01/08/2021-unless otherwise stated in this vacancy announcement.
Credit will be given for all appropriate qualifying experience.
To qualify for this position at the GS-05 grade level, you must possess at least one of the following minimum qualifications by close of the announcement:
EXPERIENCE: At least one full year of specialized experience comparable in scope and responsibility to the GS-04 grade level in the Federal service (obtained in either the public or private sectors). Examples of qualifying specialized experience include conducting field investigations; utilizing various techniques to gather biological samples or plants, animals, insects, fish, etc.; identifying, measuring and counting vegetation or plant life, and recording data; entering and editing biological data in a computer database; and using equipment and supplies necessary for biological field investigations. You must include hours per week worked.
EDUCATION: Successful completion of at least four years of education above high school (120 semester hours or 180 quarter hours) leading to a (full four year course of study) bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, with coursework related to the biological sciences such as: biology, chemistry, statistics, entomology, animal husbandry, botany, physics, agriculture, mathematics, etc. (You MUST submit a copy of your transcripts indicating the degree earned, credit hours, and course titles in order to qualify based on education). . You must include transcripts.
Successful completion of a COMBINATION of education and experience as described in A and B. To combine education, take the number of semester hours (or equivalent) earned towards a bachelor's degree, in excess of 60 semester hours, and divide by 60 semester hours (or equivalent). Then take the number of months of full-time experience and divide by 12 months. Add the percentages together. The total must equal at least 100 percent to qualify. You must have at least 24 semester hours in any combination of courses such as biology, chemistry, statistics, entomology, animal husbandry, botany, physics, agriculture or mathematics. At least 6 semester hours of courses must have been directly related to the position. (You must submit a copy of your transcripts indicating the number of credit hours in order to qualify based on the combination option).
Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
****PLEASE NOTE CREDITING EXPERIENCE INFORMATION: You will not receive any credit for any experience that does not indicate hours per week or is listed as "varies". Your description of experience, education and volunteer experience must be able to support any claim for qualifying for this position. In describing your experience, please be clear and specific. We may not make any assumptions regarding your experience. If your resume does not support your questionnaire answers, we will not allow credit for your response.
ELIGIBILITIES INFORMATION: —You will not be considered for any eligibility that you do not select in the vacancy announcement pre-questionnaire. Please be sure to select all responses that apply to your eligibility.
QUALIFICATIONS INFORMATION: "A review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the Assessment Questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses provided in the Assessment Questionnaire, or if you fail to submit all required documentation, you will be rated "ineligible", "not qualified", or your score will be adjusted accordingly. If a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications or experience, you can lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully; errors or omissions can affect your rating".
To qualify based on education, you must submit a legible copy of transcripts from an accredited institution with your name, school name, credit hours, course level, major(s), and grade-point average or class ranking. Transcripts do not need to be official, but if you are selected for this position and you used your education to qualify, you must provide official transcripts before you begin work.
If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet qualification requirements, you must show that your education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university.
ADDITIONAL SELECTIONS: This announcement may be used to fill additional positions if identical vacancies occur within 90 days of the issue date of the referral certificate.
REHIRE OPTIONS FOR TEMPORARY NTE 1039 APPOINTMENTS:Temporary seasonal employees can only maintain their non-competitive rehire eligibility if they work no more than a combined total of Temporary NTE less than 1039 hours anywhere in the National Park Service (NPS) within their established service year. Accordingly, non-competitive rehire eligibility allows for re-appointment to the same position or another position appropriate for temporary appointment with the same qualification requirements (5 CFR 316.402[b]), based on series and grade, anywhere in the major subdivision (NPS).
TELEWORK: The National Park Service has determined that the duties of this position are not suitable for telework.
PARK CONTACT INFORMATION: .For specific questions pertaining to the position being advertised, please contact Bill Hulslander, Resource Management Specialist at: bill_hulslandernps.gov . Email is the preferred method of inquiry as it provides the fastest response time. When inquiring by email please include the job announcement number (NE-1612-ASIS-21-10994507-DE) in the subject line.
AREA INFORMATION: Assateague Island National Seashore is located on the Atlantic coast of Maryland and Virginia, approximately 130 miles east of Washington, DC. The area is largely rural, with numerous small towns and the seaside resorts of Ocean City, MD and Chincoteague, VA nearby. Complete shopping and medical services are available, as are public and private schools. The small city of Salisbury, MD is about 30 miles west of the headquarters area and has shopping centers, a university and a large hospital. Summers are hot and humid, with high temperatures commonly in the 90's. Winters are mild with little snow and daytime temperatures usually above freezing. For more information go to: http: www.nps.gov/asis
ALTERNATIVE APPLICATION METHOD: If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document that you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application. Click the following link for more information, https: help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Alternate_Application_Information .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
A review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the Assessment Questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses provided in the Assessment Questionnaire, or if you fail to submit all required documentation, you will be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score will be adjusted accordingly. If a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications or experience, you can lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully; errors or omissions can affect your rating.
Candidates will be rated and ranked using Category Rating procedures. These procedures place candidates with veteran's preference above non-preference eligibles within each category. Veterans with a service connected disability of at least 10 percent are listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-09 grade level or higher. Under Category Rating, candidates will be rated and ranked into one of three categories:
- Best Qualified – applicants possessing experience that substantially exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors and are highly proficient in all requirements of the job and can perform effectively in the position
- Well Qualified – applicants possessing experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors and are proficient in most of the requirements of the job
- Qualified – applicants possessing experience that meets the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors and are proficient in some, but not all of the requirements of the job.
You will be evaluated on the following competencies:
- Technical Competence
- Technology Application
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
The following documents are required and must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 01/08/2021:
- Veterans Preference Documentation :
- If you are a Discharged, Non-Disabled Veteran, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 showing character of discharge (Member 4 copy), or other Documentation of Service and Separation under Honorable Conditions, as listed on the SF15 . If you don't have your DD-214, you may request it after discharge from the National Archives .
- If you are a veteran within 120 days of discharge, you must submit signed documentation from the Armed Forces certifying: 1) your expected release/retirement from active duty, 2) under honorable conditions, 3) your pay grade/rank/rate at time of discharge, 4) dates of active duty service, 5) any campaign or expeditionary medals received, & 6) dated within 120 days of your separation.
- If you are a Disabled Veteran, Purple Heart Recipient, or Mother or Spouse of a Disabled or Deceased Veteran , you must submit all additional proof required by the SF15 , and if applicable, a completed SF15 . You may request a copy of your Department of Veterans Affairs letter from www.ebenefits.va.gov or call 1-800-827-1000 to establish proof of disability.
Do not submit photographs with your application package. Documents with photographs may not be seen by hiring officials – you must remove your image from any badges, licenses, etc.
Do not upload Adobe portfolio documents. Adobe portfolio documents are not viewable by our agency's staffing offices.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.