As a Director for Large Bank Licensing, you will be responsible for identifying legal, safety and soundness, and policy issues presented by applications filed by the largest banks.
Chief Counsel's Office / Licensing Division / Washington, DC
Learn more about this agency
As a Director for Large Bank Licensing, you will:
- Review complex/controversial applications submitted by the nation's largest banks in order to control and mitigate bank exposure to safety and soundness, compliance, reputation, and other risks, and OCC's exposure to reputation
- Provide input and expertise on policy matters to influence and inform significant executive level actions affecting licensing.
- Provide expert advice/guidance on technical licensing and policy to OCC senior management, examiners, lawyers, and the industry on complex licensing applications and OCC licensing policy.
- Develop objectives, plans, and resource strategies impacting Licensing to achieve the OCC's business goals and priorities.
- Exercise delegated authority where authorized by licensing delegations for approving a broad range of applications and exceptions to Part 5 processing.
- Lead, motivate and develop a staff of employees. Monitor the progress of assignments and evaluate training/developmental needs. Complete performance evaluations.
Occasional travel – Occasional travel required.
Conditions of Employment
- This is a 5 year rotational position. If selected, you will be required to sign a non-bargaining unit Rotational Agreement that details the conditions.
- Complete a one-year trial period (unless already completed).
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9 . Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
- Travel overnight or locally on a frequent basis.
- Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
- File an Executive Branch Confidential Financial Disclosure Report (OGE 450) and an OCC Financial Disclosure Form.
- Complete a financial disclosure review and resolve any ethics issues.
- Click here for important information about OCC ethics standards, such as the requirement that new hires divest their bank securities.
- Successfully complete a background investigation that includes criminal history, financial history (including a credit check) and other information.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the NB-VI band level or GS-14 grade level in the Federal service. Examples of specialized experience for this position include:
- Analyzing or preparing complex financial institution applications submitted to bank regulatory agencies
- Serving as an advisor/consultant to senior management officials of a regulatory agency or banking institution on licensing matters
The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector, or through volunteer service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis.
To ensure any credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
Education cannot be used to qualify for this position.
- If you are a current OCC employee who previously received a waiver determination permitting you to retain bank securities due to extenuating circumstances, please note that this determination may be rescinded if the nature of your duties changes. We strongly suggest that you discuss the potential implications of any change in duties on a prior securities determination with your ethics official.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- This is an Excepted Service position under Schedule B, 213.3205(a).
- Your required security clearance is Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Salary range includes geographical pay.
- Click all links in this vacancy announcement to view additional information and instructions.
- Please refer to "Conditions of Employment."
- Click "Print" to review the entire announcement before applying.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your resume, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a "not qualified" determination.
Your application will be evaluated in the following areas:
- Bank Supervision Knowledge
- Licensing Policy and Regulations
- Advisement, Collaboration, and Outreach
- Strategic Thinking
- Human Resources Management
Category rating will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. If qualified, you will be assigned to one of three quality groupings (Outstanding, Excellent, or Qualified) depending on your responses to the online questions regarding your experience, education and training related to this position. Your rating will be lowered if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
Veterans' preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Preference-eligibles will be listed at the top of their assigned category and considered before non-preference eligibles in that category. Qualified preference eligibles with a compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest category.
Referral : If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. You may be required to participate in a selection interview.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
A complete application includes: 1) A resume, 2) vacancy question responses, and 3) submission of any required documents. Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you may not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
RESUME: All applicants are required to submit a resume by either creating one in USAJOBS or uploading one of their own choosing. (Cover letters are optional.) To receive full credit for relevant experience, please list the month/year and number of hours worked for experience listed on your resume. We suggest you preview the online questions, as you may need to customize your resume to ensure that it supports your responses to these questions. Please review Resume Tips .
VETERANS' PREFERENCE DOCUMENTATION: If you are claiming veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 (Member 4 copy), or other official documentation from a branch of the Armed Forces or the Department of Veterans Affairs showing actual or expected dates of service and type of discharge. Ten-point preference eligibles must also submit an Application for 10-point Veteran Preference, SF-15 , along with the required documentation listed on the back of the SF-15 form. For more information on veterans' preference view FedsHireVets .
OPTIONAL DOCUMENTS: In addition, you may submit the following:
– Cover letter
– Recent performance evaluation (be sure to redact/remove all sensitive information prior to submitting)
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.