Associate General Counsel, North America
We are looking to hire a Senior Legal Counsel, North America to join our Legal & Compliance team in Stamford who will report to our General Counsel, North America.
We are a global, diversified reinsurer with a local footprint who can step up to any challenge, while remaining small enough to be adaptive and responsive. Reinsurance is a relationship business and we continually strive to live up to the promise of our name, PartnerRe. We are a centralized organization and bring a more personal approach to the marketplace with a distinctive balance of technical skills and client focus, expertise and partnership. We are a true global organization with a multicultural workforce.
In this business facing role you will be primarily providing legal advice and support to our North American Life and Health businesses, assisting the General Counsel, North America in day to day activities and delivering projects, liaising with regulators and clients in the United States and Canada to address regulatory and legal queries.
In more detail your responsibilities will be to:
- Provide transactional, commercial, corporate & regulatory legal support and advice to the Life and Health business units and executive management of PartnerRe in the United States and Canada
- Support and manage regulatory projects and strategic initiatives from a legal perspective
- Oversee and manage material disputes / litigation
- Provide correct and timely assessment of legal and compliance issues and give customer focused and solution oriented legal advice, while retaining independence as legal adviser
- Identify, manage and mitigate legal, regulatory and reputational risks
- Enable the business to achieve PartnerRe’s strategic and commercial goals by providing legal expertise in an efficient and effective way
- Assisting the underwriting units as well as support functions on various cross-jurisdictional initiatives
- Support the General Counsel North America to manage the Legal and Compliance teams in North America
We are looking for a technically strong candidate, who enjoys collaborating with internal and external partners, and seeks a challenging new job in a fast paced environment. As an ideal candidate you possess the following experience, skills and mindset:
- Admitted to practice of law in Connecticut or able to qualify as Connecticut Authorized House Counsel and 5+ years of experience as a practicing attorney.
- Strong life (re)insurance and commercial experience – strong business facing background is essential
- Experience with North American privacy regulation (e.g. HIPAA)
- International, cross-jurisdictional experience and exposure, particularly in Canada
- Strong (re)insurance regulatory experience and exposure with U.S insurance regulators, attendance at NAIC meetings or experience with Canadian insurance regulators (OSFI) an asset
- Prior experience with cybersecurity regulation or health (re)insurance products (employer stop loss insurance, managed care/HMO reinsurance, medical reinsurance) an asset
- Prior experience with property and casualty (re)insurance products and regulation
- Prior experience with the management of contentious matters
- Good project management capabilities
- “Open to change” and “can do” attitude
- Fluent in English, other languages, ideally French or Spanish, are an asset
- Strong interpersonal skills and communication style
- Effective time management and organizational skills with the ability to work under pressure and on own initiative
- Previously demonstrated ability to work well within a team, and to build strong relationships with colleagues
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected
What can we offer you:
An international environment, where you will be challenged, will collaborate with senior specialists and are exposed to multiple sections of our business in a wide range of countries. Our structure fosters empowerment and collaboration with various partners. In our agile team, your impact really makes a difference.