JOB DESCRIPTION / RESPONSIBILITIES
The Vice President, Regional Counsel, serves as a senior legal counsel working full time for the Western US Region and providing timely legal services to all teams in the Western US Region (including Leasing, Asset Management, Property Management, Construction, Development and Accounting) on various transactions relating to the Western US portfolio of properties, including commercial lease and contract negotiations, acquisitions, dispositions, financing, property development and various other legal matters. This position also supports the initiatives of the regional and corporate legal teams, and provides sound business and legal guidance to its internal customers. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Draft, review, negotiate and finalize all kinds of commercial office and retail lease related documentation, with the responsibility of managing both the time-to-execution of leases and the legal resources or costs associated with that effort, working closely with outside counsel (as applicable) and members of Brookfield’s various operating teams.
- Assisting the operating teams with a variety of legal issues such as property management agreements, vendor agreements, construction contracts, and other real estate related contracts.
- Negotiate engagement letters, and manage and monitor outside counsel’s scope of work, billings, and quality of legal services.
- Retain and oversee external counsel in connection with transactional and litigation matters.
- Assisting the legal and operating teams in ensuring that Brookfield meticulously fulfills its fiduciary obligations to its fund partners and other clients.
- Providing sound legal and business advice, and engaging in creative problem-solving.
- Manage outside counsel and provide direction in the resolution of landlord/tenant disputes.
- Serving as a primary point of contact for counsel on insurance defense matters, including responding to discovery requests. Respond to deposition and document production subpoenas.
- Ensuring that documentation goals are met in a timely manner.
- Participating in multi-disciplinary teams to advance team, regional and Company initiatives.
- Providing sound legal advice and guidance to assist decision-making by property managers, asset managers, construction, leasing and senior leaders, while considering practical business solutions.
- Demonstrating a collaborative and proactive communication style to ensure opinions/points of view from all team members are taken into consideration when providing advice or proposing solutions.
- Directing and overseeing the work of paralegal, lease administration, and administrative support personnel
- Provide assistance in connection with corporate matters as they relate to the Western US Portfolio including, assisting with regulatory matters which affect the Western US Region generally
- Provide oversight with respect to ongoing Western US litigation matters, including providing reports as needed.
- Assist with the implementation and continual maintenance of document and lease administration tools such as VTS and Yardi.
- Ensure compliance by client departments with corporate policies including, Corporate Governance, Anti-Bribery and Anti-Corruption, and ensure that all documentation prepared and executed comply with such policies
- Liaise with Canadian Region to work on establishing consistency and best practices wherever practical
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree and a law degree with least 8 years of experience working in a law firm or in house with “hands on” experience with clients drafting, reviewing, and negotiating office, retail, leases; finance agreements; and other real estate related agreements, purchase and sale agreements, and general contract creation and review.
- Excellent written and communication skills with the ability to work with all team members in a collaborative, respectful manner.
- Member of the California Bar Association.
- Possession of a current California Bureau of Real Estate Broker’s license considered a plus.
- Knowledge and experience in area of lease administration processes/procedures a plus.
- Financial and practical business acumen a plus.
- Excellent computer skills and adaptability to new systems and processes is required.