This position will provide a high quality and diverse range of contractual legal services, while exercising discretion, professionalism and solid judgment. The Corporate Counsel, Contracts will draft and negotiate agreements, protecting the company’s interests while ensuring the company’s contractual arrangements are in compliance with applicable State, Federal and International laws, rules and regulations related to research, development, commercial and corporate operations.
• Draft, review and negotiate a wide variety of agreements across many company departments including: Research and Development oriented agreements, Clinical Trial Agreements, Sponsored Research Agreements, Material Transfer Agreements, Licensing Agreements, Manufacturing Agreements, Master Services Agreements, Vendor Agreements, Consulting Agreements, Confidentiality Agreements, Operations oriented agreements and Commercial oriented agreements. Draft and negotiate other types of agreements as needed.
• Provide legal advice to internal teams on contract matters, including structuring, contract interpretation, compliance and enforcement, risk assessment, and legal and regulatory compliance.
• Participate in the development, implementation and monitoring of contracting policies, procedures and programs, working closely with and partnering with the Contracts Manager.
• Resolve legal and compliance issues using negotiation skills and expertise; negotiate with sophisticated counterparties.
• Update and create corporate template agreements.
• Ensure that the Company’s contractual arrangements comply with applicable FDA, HHS/OIG, FCPA, HIPAA, GDPR and SEC requirements and other laws, rules and regulations.
• Maintain a current working knowledge of new laws, case law trends with respect to contracts and regulatory developments.
• Anticipate internal and external business challenges and/or regulatory issues; recommend process, product or service improvements.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Juris Doctor (J.D.) from ABA accredited law school and active licensee of the California Bar in good standing or qualified to practice law as in-house counsel in California.
• Minimum 4-6 years of attorney experience, with combined corporate legal experience at a biotechnology, pharmaceutical, medical device or other life sciences company and law firm preferred.
• Experience drafting and negotiating a broad range of contracts with experience specific to the life sciences industry (Collaboration Agreements, Sponsored Research Agreements, Clinical Trial Agreements, Master Service Agreements, License Agreements, Supply Agreements, Confidentiality Agreements, etc.)
• Strong contract drafting and negotiation skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to address questions and concerns and explain to company personnel the reasons and purpose of contractual language that is in the agreement as needed.
• Strong attention to detail, the ability to see the big picture and recognize cross-functional effects.
• Independent, self-starting individual with a demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
• Must be able to prioritize and work effectively in a constantly changing environment.
• Strong internal and external customer service mentality and sense of urgency.
• Ability to work independently and as a part of a team.