At the Department of Health and Human Services you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere! HHS is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
Learn more about this agency
The Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) is the principal federal entity charged with the coordination of nationwide efforts to implement and use the most advanced health information technology and the electronic exchange of health information. ONC's mission is to improve the health and well-being of individuals and communities through the use of technology and health information that is accessible when and where it matters most.
The ONC Pathways – Recent Graduates Program provides dedicated recent graduates from a variety of educational institutions with a rewarding career in public service. ONC seeks to attract and develop new talent with an interest in the business, standards, technology, policy, and healthcare fields.
For more information on ONC, visit www.healthit.gov/ .
ONC offers the following Recent Graduate positions:
- Policy Analyst (301) – Duties may include performing policy research and analysis, developing reports and briefings, and assisting with logistics of large-scale projects.
- Management or Program Analyst (343) – Duties may include assisting with correspondence, briefing materials, responses to inquiries, and conducting studies to evaluate the effective of administrative or operational policies.
- Public Health Analyst (685) – Duties may include analyzing and evaluating the effectiveness of public health program operations by generating reports, compiling data, conducting surveys, and making recommendations for improvements.
- Information Technology Specialist (2210) – Duties may include assisting with complex IT assignments, and evaluating and recommending the adoption of new or enhanced approaches to delivering it services, and preparing and presenting reports.
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship required
- Registered or exempt from Selective Service (www.sss.gov)
- Suitable for federal employment
- Must have a qualifying degree or certificate
- Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. All information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation.
- Documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System.
- All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choice.
- All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
- Financial disclosure statement may be required.
- One-year probationary period may be required.
PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS :
GPA Requirement: You must possess a cumulative GPA of 3.0 on the unweighted 4.0 scale upon completion of your academic degree or certificate program. (GPA 2.95 is rounded to 3.0 and 2.94 is rounded to 2.9.)
To be eligible as a Recent Graduate:
- Must have completed a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution within the previous 2 years; or,
- A Veteran who was precluded from applying due to their military service obligation, begin their 2-year eligibility period upon release or discharge from active duty. Eligibility for veterans cannot exceed 6 years from the date on which they completed their degrees (or certification).
You may qualify for these positions based on education, experience, or a combination of the two.
More information on the Pathways Programs for Recent Graduates can be found at:
For more information about pay based on locality, please visit the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Salaries & Wages Page .
Conversion Eligibility: Recent Graduates may be eligible for non-competitive conversion to a career, career-conditional, or term appointment upon completion of the Pathways Recent Graduate program if they complete their program requirements to include training and perform their job successfully as documented through performance evaluations. The position to which converted may have a full-performance level up to a GS-12.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics) related to the position.
We will use a method called Category Rating to assess your application. Here's how it will work:
- You will answer job-related questions, which will measure your overall possession of the competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities required for the job.
- If you meet the minimum qualifications and education requirements for this position, your application and responses to the job-related questions will be evaluated under Category Rating and Selection procedures for placement in one of the following categories:
- Well Qualified – for those who excel in the evaluation criteria
- Qualified – for those who only meet the minimum qualification requirements
The Category Rating Process does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three" but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Veterans' preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent will be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of professional or scientific positions at the GS-09 level or higher).
Note: Pathways Recent Graduate candidates will meet the qualification requirement consistent with the OPM qualification standards applicable to the position being filled. Veterans' preference applies to selections made under the Pathways authority in accordance with Part 302 of 5 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). Candidates who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements need not be further evaluated.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
When you apply to this position via the link on our Students and Recent Graduates page, you will be asked to submit documentation of your qualifications and education. This will include:
1. Resume showing relevant experience; cover letter optional. Your resume must indicate your citizenship and if you are registered for Selective Service if you are a male born after 12/31/59. Your resume must also list your work experience and education (if applicable) including the start and end dates (mm/dd/yy) of each employment along with the number of hours worked per week. For work in the Federal service, you must include the series and grade level for the position(s). Your resume will be used to validate your responses to the assessment tool(s). For resume and application tips visit: https: www.usajobs.gov/Help/faq/application/documents/resume/what-to-include/ .
2. College Transcripts. Since this position requires specific education, you must submit a transcript attesting to your possession of the required education. You must submit an unofficial transcript at time of application. An official transcript is required if you are selected for the position. If selected, you must provide an original document before the final job offer may be extended.
College Transcripts and Foreign Education: Applicants who have completed part or all of their education outside of the U.S. must have their foreign education evaluated by an accredited organization to ensure that the foreign education is comparable to education received in accredited educational institutions in the U.S. For a listing of services that can perform this evaluation, visit the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services website. This list, which may not be all inclusive, is for informational purposes only and does not imply any endorsement of any specific agency.
3. Documentation of veterans preference (if applicable). Required documents (e.g., DD-214, SF-15, etc.) are necessary to claim veterans preference for this vacancy announcement. Click here for a detailed description of the required documents . Failure to provide the required documentation WILL result in an ineligible rating OR non-consideration.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.