This position is part of the National Archives and Records Administration, National Archives and Records Administration. As a PERSONNEL SECURITY SPECIALIST, you will be assisting the Personnel Security Officer and fellow security specialists in the day-to-day issues and requirements of the NARA Personnel Security Program.
Learn more about this agency
As a PERSONNEL SECURITY SPECIALIST, you will:
– Review and analyze information developed in background investigations.
– Determine the type of background investigation to initiate based on OPM policies, internal NARA guidelines, and the requirements of other agencies granting clearances to NARA employees.
– Independently conduct and prepare reports of personal interviews for the purpose of allowing the individual under consideration an opportunity to offer an explanation or clarification regarding unfavorable information developed during background investigation.
– Routinely communicate with officials at DCSA, OPM, and security offices at other agencies to monitor on-going investigations, pass security clearances, and exchange or obtain other information of mutual interest.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
This opportunity is also open to Status Candidates under Announcement 21-NARA-45. Please refer to that announcement for details on open period, eligibility, and how to apply.
The experience may have been gained in either the public, private sector or volunteer service . One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/day/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week on your resume.
- A one year probationary period may be required.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation.
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency.
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form i-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
- Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing may be required.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
Specialized Experience For the GS-12, you must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service. for this position includes:
– Recent experience working as a Personnel Security Specialist, performing advanced name checks on applicants for employment by telephone or through OPM's computerized Personnel Investigation Processing System (PIPS).
– Recent experience reviewing monthly Clearance Verification System (CVS) reports, enrolling clearance holders in the Continuous Evaluation System (CES) and performing regular checks of the system to evaluate CES-generated alerts;
– Making recommendations to the Personnel Security Officer to grant or deny granting security clearances based on his/her judgement of the investigative information
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- This announcement may be used to fill like positions in other organizations within the National Archives and Records Administration.
- This is a non bargaining unit position.
- We offer opportunities for telework.
- We offer opportunities for flexible work schedules.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your résumé, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your résumé includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your résumé may result in a "not qualified" determination.
Rating : Your application will be evaluated in the following areas: Communication, Analytical, Technical. Category rating will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. If qualified, you will be assigned to one of three quality level categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, or Qualified depending on your responses to the online questions, regarding your experience, education, and training related to this position. Your rating may be lowered if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
Veterans' preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Preference-eligibles will be listed at the top of their assigned category and considered before non-preference-eligibles in that category. Qualified preference-eligibles with a compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest category.
Referral : If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. You may be required to participate in a selection interview.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) ) you must receive a score of 85 or better to be rated as "well qualified" to receive special selection priority
Background checks and security clearance
Sensitive Compartmented Information
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Critical-Sensitive (CS)/High Risk
Trust determination process
A complete application includes 1. A résumé, 2. Vacancy question responses, and 3. Submission of any required documents. Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you may not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
Please ensure all required documents, including any required work samples, narratives, or other materials as stated in this announcement, are attached to your application package. Documents can be uploaded under the category of "Cover Letter".
All applicants are required to submit a résumé either by creating one in USAJOBS or uploading one of their own choosing. (Cover letters are optional.) To receive full credit for relevant experience, please list the month/date/year and number of hours worked for experience listed on your résumé. We suggest that you preview the online questions, as you may need to customize your résumé to ensure that it supports your responses to these questions. Please view résumé tips .
VETERANS' PREFERENCE DOCUMENTATION: If you are claiming veterans preference, please see applicant guide for required documentation . In order to be considered for veterans preference, you must submit all required documentation as outlined in the applicant guide.
CAREER TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PLAN (CTAP) OR INTERAGENCY CAREER TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PLAN (ICTAP) DOCUMENTATION: If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee, click CTAP/ICTAP for eligibility and a detailed list of required documents you must submit in order to be eligible.
EDUCATION DOCUMENTATION: For positions with an education requirement, or if you are qualifying for this position by substituting education or training for experience, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or equivalent. An official transcript will be required if you are selected.
A college or university degree generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools which meet these criteria, please refer to Department of Education Accreditation page .
If you are qualifying based on foreign education, you must submit proof of creditability of education as evaluated by a credentialing agency. Refer to the OPM instructions .
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.