This position is located in the Executive Office of the President, U.S. Trade Representative. The incumbent works under the direction of the Assistant U.S. Trade Representative to carry out administrative support for the agency mission.
Student Trainee opportunities are located within various offices with a variety of administrative and office support disciplines at the U. S. Trade Representative.
Learn more about this agency
As a Student Trainee (Admin Support), GS-0399-05, your typical work assignments may include the following:
- Responsible for variations from prescribed policies and procedures in the solution of problems encountered involving office administrative matters.
- Prepares a variety of correspondence, memoranda, and information.
- Assists in developing material for briefings, reports, presentations and conferences for division/office staff and supervisors.
- Provides research, analysis, statistics and legislative markups.
- Assists in day-to-day operations through performing a mixture of routine and sometimes complex tasks.
These positions are 100% remote, therefore, temporary relocation to the DC area is not required. Selected applicants must complete the term working within the United States.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national
- Selective Service registration is required if you are a male born after December 31, 1959.
- Subject to pre-employment and random drug tests.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Executive Office of the President will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify/.
- May be required to successfully complete a trial period.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final security clearance. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must sign a Pathways Program Agreement.
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
To be eligible for consideration, applicants must meet the Pathways Program Requirements listed below:
Student Trainee: To be eligible, applicants must be:
- A student that is accepted for enrollment or enrolled and seeking a degree diploma, certificate, etc. in a qualifying educational institution, on a full or half-time basis (as defined by the institution in which the student is enrolled). A copy of an official transcript must be submitted with your application to verify your qualifications.
- At the time of appointment and upon request, students must demonstrate an overall Grade-Point Average (G.P.A.) of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale as recorded on the official transcript. Transcripts must be submitted.
To qualify for the GS-05, applicants must meet on of the minimum qualification requirement below:
GS-05: Specialized experience is defined as the skill of using word processing software to create, copy, edit, store, retrieve, and print forms, memos, and letters; uses existing database or spreadsheet software to create, enter, revise, sort or calculate, and retrieve data for reports; preparing a wide variety of recurring correspondence, internal reports, and other documents from information obtained from files, reports, or research; and processing incoming and outgoing correspondence and materials;
Enrolled in a 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree;
A combination of education and specialized experience.
Note: An academic year of undergraduate education is defined as 30 semester hours, 45 quarter hours, or the equivalent in an accredited college or university.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service program (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
To be creditable, education must have been obtained in an accredited college or university. You must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions that are recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services at the time of application. National Association of Credential Evaluation Services .
As a Student Trainee, the following applies:
You must continue to meet these eligibility requirements throughout the duration of your appointment under the Pathways Program.
You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements for the position by the closing date of the announcement.
You are required to show proof of enrollment in a qualified degree/diploma program by the closing of this announcement.
Failure to provide adequate scholastic documentation within the specified time frame will disqualify you from further consideration.
A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to meet the pre-employment requirements.
Student Trainees and their supervisors must sign a Pathways Participant Agreement which outlines expectations for the student program prior to entrance on duty.
Student Trainees appointed for less than 90 days in duration are generally not eligible for benefits.
Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see https: www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx ).
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy Statement: http: www.eeoc.gov/federal/index.cfm
Employment Information Resources – Resource Center: https: help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Main_Page
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternative Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
When the application process is complete, we will review your resume and supporting documents to ensure you meet the hiring eligibility and qualification requirements listed in this announcement. You will be rated based on the information provided in your resume and responses to the Occupational Questionnaire, along with your supporting documentation to determine your ability to demonstrate the following competencies:
Education and Training
The Category Rating process gives Veterans' preference eligible who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent to be listed in the highest quality category.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
All eligibility, qualifications, and time-in-grade requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Critical-Sensitive (CS)/High Risk
Trust determination process
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your résumé showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed
2. Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional
- DD-214, SF-15 Form and VA letter, or certification of expected discharge or release from active duty from Veterans for consideration under Veteran hiring authorities. DD-214 must be a Member 4 or Service 2 copy which reflects the type of discharge/character of service.
- College transcript(s) only if the position has an education requirement or if you are utilizing education as part of your qualifications.
A COMPLETE RESUME IS REQUIRED. Your resume must show relevant experience (cover letter optional) where you worked, job title, duties and accomplishments, employer's name and address, supervisor's name and phone number, starting and end dates (Mo/Yr), hours per week & salary. If you are a current Federal employee or previous Federal employee, please ensure you provide the pay plan, series and grade level i.e. GS-0201-09. Note: If you upload more than one resume, the last resume received will be the one utilized for consideration.
YOU ARE REQUIRED TO DOCUMENT IN YOUR APPLICATION PACKAGE EVIDENCE THAT SUPPORTS YOUR ELIGIBILITY AND QUALIFICATION CLAIMS. You are strongly encouraged to upload any applicable documents with your application package.
ARE YOU QUALIFYING BASED ON EDUCATION or A COMBINATION OF EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE? You must provide sufficient documentation of your education in your resume. You must provide a copy of transcripts or degrees in your application package if you are utilizing education as your part of your qualification or if the position has a positive education requirement. It is also acceptable to document your applicable course listing in your resume (course number, credits earned, etc…). Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http: www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html . All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly.
Active Duty Service Members are required to submit a statement of service printed on command letterhead and signed by the command. The statement of service must provide the branch of service, rate/rank, all dates of service, the expected date of discharge and anticipated character of service (Honorable, General, etc.).
ARE YOU CLAIMING SOLE SURVIVORSHIP PREFERENCE OR 5-POINT VETERANS' PREFERENCE? Y ou are required to provide legible copy/copies of the following: DD-214 (member 4 copy), "Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty," showing all dates of service, as well as character of service (Honorable, General, etc.) or Statement of Service/Proof of Service (in lieu of a DD-214) from your command or local Personnel Support Detachment (PSD). The Statement of Service/Proof of Service must provide all dates of service, the expected date of discharge and anticipated character of service (Honorable, General, etc.).
Disabled veterans, veterans, widows, spouses or the parents of a veteran, who are eligible for 10-point veterans' preference must provide legible copies of the following: Applicable supporting documents as noted on Standard Form-15 (SF-15). To obtain a copy of SF-15, go to http: www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf .
Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents contain personal information such as SSN and DOB and some documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove said personal information before you submit your application.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.washingtonpost.com.