Are you interested in a rewarding and challenging career? Join the U.S. Small Business Administration, Office of Inspector General! SBA OIG provides auditing, investigative, and other high quality services to support and assist the SBA in achieving its mission. We promote open and honest communication and encourage a positive work environment. We are listed among the top ranked agencies in the Partnership for Public Service's 2019 Best Places to Work in the Federal Government!
Learn more about this agency
As an HR Assistant, you will be responsible for:
- Reviewing personnel forms for completion and confirms their contents as needed.
- Assisting with conducting new employee orientation sessions.
- Entering data into the NFC personnel/payroll system.
- Inputting employee information into the employee personnel folder (eOPF).
- Providing information on routine personnel matters, such as how to complete a form, status of vacancies, and open season enrollment deadlines.
- Resolving recurring problems and discrepancies, such as reconciling computer records against position descriptions and organizational data.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen.
- You must successfully complete a background investigation. Candidates who do not complete the required background investigation paperwork by the pre-determined due date, will be disqualified.
- You may be required to serve on a one-year probationary period.
- Candidates who are determined to be qualified for this position, must complete an additional online assessment through Talent Plus. You must complete the Talent Plus Assessment within 48 work hours of being sent the email notification.
In order to qualify for this position, your resume must provide sufficient evidence of experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform the duties of the position. Therefore, we encourage you to submit a thorough resume that directly relates to this position.
Specialized Experience Statement :
GS-05: One year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-04 grade level in the Federal service, obtained in either the private or public sector: maintaining employee personnel records in compliance with rules, regulations and established procedures; researching, documenting, and resolving a number of personnel requests using an automated personnel system; ensuring required documentation is accounted for and properly documented; performing quality assurance reviews on personnel records; correcting errors and providing guidance and alternative solutions to problems; OR
A Bachelor's (or equivalent) degree or a full four years of progressive, successfully completed education above the high school level in any field for which high school graduation or the equivalent is a prerequisite may be used to meet the qualification requirements for GS-5. This education must have been obtained in an accredited business, secretarial or technical school, junior college, college, or university; OR
A combination of experience (less than 1 year of specialized experience as described above) and post high school education beyond the second year which combined meet the education and experience requirements or combination of education and experience.
Additional information on the qualification requirements is outlined in the OPM Qualifications Standards Handbook of General Schedule Positions. It is available for your review on OPM's Qualifications web site.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g. professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
If you wish to be considered under Merit Promotion or Non-Competitive procedures, you MUST apply under the Merit Promotion announcement ST-11077553-21-MLJ .
All qualification requirements must be met by 11:59 pm (Eastern Time) on 04/16/2021.
There is not a positive education requirement for this position.
To qualify using education, transcripts that reflect the requirements of this position must be provided with your application.
(NOTE: Transcripts/certificates must be provided to show proof of education. Failure to submit required documents by the close of the announcement may result in an ineligible rating.)
APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Verify School accreditation . All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. *** If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. *** For further information, click on: Foreign Education .
SUITABILITY, CLEARANCE & REQUIREMENTS: A background investigation may be required for all new hires. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
SELECTIVE SERVICE: If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, you must certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System, or are exempt from having to do so under the Selective Service Law. For additional information visit www.sss.gov .
Telework is available. For information on Telework visit: http: www.telework.gov/
Additional vacancies may be filled from this vacancy announcement if additional vacancies occur within 180 days of the date the certificates were issued.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated based on how well you meet the qualifications listed in this vacancy announcement. Your qualifications will be evaluated based on your application materials, the responses you provide on the application questionnaire, and the result of the online assessment required for this position (if you are determined qualified after initial review). You will be assessed on the following competencies:
Clerical, Customer Service, Technology Application, and Writing
Your application will be evaluated under the Category Rating method based on your responses to the assessment questions. You will receive a score based on the responses to the assessment questions. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. If you meet basic requirements for the position, your application will be evaluated and placed into one of three categories:
1. Best-Qualified: highly proficient with an overall comprehensive level of knowledge, skills and abilities related to the job based on a complete review of experience, education, and training as described in an applicant's responses to the assessment questions and resume.
2. Well-Qualified: competent in the position with an overall accomplished level of knowledge, skills, and abilities related to the job based on a complete review of experience, training, and education as applicable, as described in an applicant's responses to the assessment questions and resume.
3. Qualified: an overall basic level of knowledge, skills, and abilities related to the job based on a complete review of experience, education, and training, as described in an applicant's responses to the assessment questions and resume.
Candidates eligible for veterans preference will be placed ahead of other candidates in the appropriate category for which they have been rated. Additionally, preference eligibles who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent and who meet Minimum Qualification Requirements will automatically be placed in the Best Qualified Category.
In addition to the application and Occupational Questionnaire, this position requires submission of an Talent Plus Online Assessment by all candidates determined to be qualified. The online assessment measures critical general competencies required to perform the job. The assessment includes a cut score based on the minimum level of required proficiency in these critical general competencies. You must meet or exceed the cut score to be considered. You will not be considered for the position if you score below the cut score or fail to complete the online assessment (if forwarded to you). In order to be considered for this position, you must complete all required steps in the process.
Career and InterAgency Career Transition Assistance Programs: If you are applying for a special selection priority under SBA's Career Transition Assistance Plan (open to surplus SBA employees only) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (open to surplus and displaced Federal employees), you must: meet CTAP eligibility criteria, be rated well-qualified for the position with a rating of 85 or above based on the competencies listed above, and submit the appropriate documentation to support your CTAP eligibility. Click here for more information.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Moderate Risk (MR)
Trust determination process
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed.
2. A complete Occupational Questionnaire
3. A complete Talent Plus Assessment, if required after initial qualification determination
4. In addition to the online application (resume and responses to the occupational questionnaire), you are required to submit the following forms, if applicable. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure all documents are legible:
- If you are using education as a substitution for experience (the announcement will state whether this is allowed), or if there is an educational requirement for this position, you must submit a copy of your transcripts (unofficial or official) that clearly describes your qualifying education. If selected, official transcripts will be required;
- If you are claiming Veteran status, you must submit a copy of all required documents to support your claim (showing character of service)–see VetGuide ;
- Veterans who are still in the service may be granted tentative preference on the basis of information contained in their applications, but they must produce a DD-214 (showing the character of service) or other proof of service to receive consideration for veterans' preference. For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit FedsHireVets.gov .
- For proof of CTAP/ICTAP eligibility, you must provide documentation from each of the following three categories:
- 1. One of the following:
- Your Reduction in Force (RIF) separation notice;
- Your RIF notice offering a lower graded position accompanied by a declination of the offer (the RIF notice must state that declination will result in separation under RIF);
- Notice of proposed removal for declining a directed geographic relocation outside the local commuting area (e.g., a directed reassignment or change in duty station);
- Certificate of expected separation; or
- Other official agency certification or notification indicating that your position is surplus (e.g., a notice of position abolishment or a notice of eligibility for discontinued service retirement).
- 2. Your Notification of Personnel Action(s), SF-50(s), or other official documentation that shows:
- a. You are a current:
- i. career or career-conditional competitive service employee, in tenure group 1 or 2, at grade GS-15 or equivalent and below; or
- ii. excepted service employee serving without time limit at grade GS-15 or equivalent and below who has been conferred noncompetitive appointment eligibility and selection priority by law for competitive service positions; and
- b. The position you may be or are being separated from:
- i. Is equal to or higher than the grade of the job announced; and
- ii. Has the same or higher promotion potential as the job announced; and
- iii. Is in the same local commuting area as the job announced.
- 3. Your most recent performance rating of record (which must be rated at least fully successful or equivalent).
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.washingtonpost.com.