If you’re passionate about being part of a diverse organization that enables a Fortune 100 company to deliver innovative business solutions with excellence, then Nationwide’s Legal team could be the place for you!
Job Description Summary
Would you thrive in an environment where you can deliver top-quality legal services to support the mission of a Fortune 100 insurance company to protect people, businesses and futures with extraordinary care? If you possess the academic credentials, strong analytical skills and legal acumen needed for successful litigation work, our team may be the place for you!
Nationwide Trial Division is a national team with approximately 40 offices through six regions across the United States. Our Senior Trial Attorneys are seasoned litigation attorneys with significant civil litigation experience in property and casualty insurance defense or subrogation. As a Senior Trial Attorney, youll represent clients under both commercial and personal lines insurance policies independently as lead counsel, as well as be part of a larger team as needed. Caseloads are typically including a mix of cases varying in complexity, severity, product lines, and specialized concentrations, throughout all courts and agencies in the assigned jurisdiction(s). Youll be expected to maintain a highly productive case volume that reflects our collective commitment to innovative thinking, effective collaboration, embracing technology and a highly organized and proactive approach to case management.
- Demonstrates the requisite trial advocacy skills independently as lead counsel, or as part of a team, demonstrates productivity, proactive case management, work ethic, and work product quality to properly and effectively handle all matters in accordance with Nationwide Trial Division (NTD) best practice guidelines, as well as claims and client expectations.
- Requires minimal managerial oversight and guidance from the Managing Trial Attorney and NTD Leadership in all aspects of core duties and job responsibilities.
- Adept at effectively utilizing technology and collaboratively working with support staff to ensure efficient case management and productivity.
- Demonstrates consistent awareness of changes to the law, technology, local rules and other procedural requirements, or other aspects of the legal and insurance industries likely to impact liability and recovery litigation strategies in the jurisdictions in which he/she practices.
- Possesses and consistently performs with the subject matter expertise and trial advocacy skills required and specified for all NTD concentrations held. Demonstrates the ability and willingness to develop and learn additional or new NTD concentrations as may be required based on NTD business needs and as specified by NTD Leadership.
- Provides factually, legally and analytically sound opinions consistently on case valuations that are promptly updated and timely communicated to the client and claims.
- Independently establishes, fosters and maintains strong professional relationships with key associates within Office of the Chief Legal Officer and claims partners at the senior director level and below, as well as with colleagues within the legal and insurance industries within those jurisdictions and communities in which he/she practices.
- Utilizes relationships to build and enhance NTDs reputation and expand case referral opportunities within the enterprise.
- Communicates in a highly effective manner, consistently and proactively identifying, understanding and meeting client, claims and internal NTD communication expectations (both written and oral), as well as those commonly expected within the jurisdictions and communities in which he/she practices.
- Serves as a mentor for junior attorneys and NTD staff providing guidance and training, as well as serving as role model in terms of engagement, coaching and feedback, productivity, attitude and collaboration.
May perform other duties as assigned.
Reporting Relationships: Managing Trial Attorney
Typical Skills and Experiences:
Education: Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school.
License/Certification/Designation: Maintains an active license in the state in which the position is located.
Experience: Typically, more than eight years of relevant civil litigation experience in property and casualty insurance defense or subrogation.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills: Has significant litigation experience in property and casualty insurance defense or subrogation. Engages in complex legal practices and procedures throughout all court and agencies in the assigned jurisdiction. Highly effective and professional written and verbal communication skills. Highly collaborative, capable to work with staff and other attorneys on-site and remotely, as well as serving as a role model and mentor to other associates within the office. Significant negotiation skills. Ability to process information efficiently and effectively. Excellent analytical and legal skills. Resourceful, creative thinker. Computer savvy with a working knowledge of basic software and use of same. Capable of adapting to changes in the law and changes to technology in the law and court systems (e.g. electronic filings, etc.) Strong time management and organization skills. Decision making ability to set work priorities and make recommendations. Ability to initiate, organize and coordinate complex projects and cases. Leadership skills used in direct and/or indirect influencing such as motivating, problem solving, business strengthening and development with colleagues, clients and claims partners.
Other criteria, including leadership skills, competencies and experiences may take precedence.
Staffing exceptions to the above must be approved by the hiring managers leader and Human Resources Business Partner.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors. Complies with the private practice of law policy and the ethical rules of the state where the position is located. Must also acknowledge and comply with all corporate and NTD policies and procedures.
Overtime Eligibility: Not Eligible (Exempt).
Working Conditions: Generally, a normal office environment, but depending on the needs of the office the position may be staffed working from home. Frequent travel. Occasional overnight travel. Extended hours are often necessary to meet the demands of the profession.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
Credit Check: Due to the fiduciary accountabilities of this job, a valid credit check and/or background which will be required as part of the selection process.
Job Evaluation Activity: 5/2020 KLG
To apply for this job please visit www.goinhouse.com.