The Civil Attorney Senior Counsel position is responsible for overseeing the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office’s (MCAO) role in hearings on petitions for court-ordered behavioral health treatment and examinations, reviewing cases involving danger to others for referral to law enforcement, and providing legal training and guidance to attorneys learning the civil commitment process.
About the Office of the County Attorney
We believe in integrity. We believe in justice for all. And we are proud to deliver high-quality prosecution, comprehensive victims’ services, crime prevention programs, and more to the residents of Maricopa County. If you would like to utilize your talents and skills to stand up for Maricopa County, apply today, and join our team!
- Juris Doctor or Doctor of Jurisprudence degree from an American Bar Association (ABA) approved law school
- Two (2) years of experience handling civil commitment hearings
- Eight (8) years of litigation or trial experience
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain a current, valid AZ Driver License at the time of hire
- Must have current Arizona Bar license and number, and be in good standing with Arizona Bar Association
- Ten (10) years of litigation or trial experience
- Performs complex legal work and analysis as it pertains to ongoing compliance and litigation issues involving the client
- Conducts research and analyzes legal issues using both computerized legal research and hard copy tools
Develops client discussions and negotiations on various issues to achieve the best outcome possible for the client
- Drafts various documents for the client, including annual reports and updates, motions, and various other court documents as necessary
- Works closely with clients and attorneys in the office
- Attends court to present, and when necessary defend, the client at status conferences, oral arguments on motions, in evidentiary hearings, and at trial when needed
- Provides litigation risk analyses and status reports to the Practice Group Lead and, where appropriate, to the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors, the Maricopa County Self-Insured Trust Fund Board of Trustees, the Maricopa County Risk Manager, and clients
- Responsible for compliance with the continuing legal education requirements and other requirements imposed by the State Bar of Arizona
To apply for this job please visit www.goinhouse.com.