This position provides legal advice to the Company and generally assists the Law Department and individual business units with a wide range of labor and employment matters. The attorney works closely with other members of the Law Department and individual business units to achieve business objectives within acceptable risk profiles. The attorney performs duties consistent with legal and ethical requirements as well as Company values, standards, culture and business practices.
- Advise human resources and other business units within the Company on all matters relating to labor and employment matters, including wage and hour, workplace safety, discrimination, privacy, labor-management relations and immigration.
- Manage the defense of a wide variety of labor and employment litigation matters, in coordination with other lawyers in the Law Department.
- Engage in all aspects of the labor and employment litigation process, including assessing risk, developing strategy, partnering with outside counsel, reviewing pleadings, and ensuring compliance with e-discovery requirements.
- Oversee and/or assist with responses to discovery requests and preparation and dissemination of litigation holds for labor and employment litigation matters.
- Assist in preparing witnesses for deposition and trial testimony.
- Prepare for and attend depositions and mediations.
- Assess and advise the Company on various dispute-resolution and litigation-avoidance matters in the labor and employment arena.
- Stay abreast of laws, regulations and the legal implications of industry trends and help business team develop big picture strategies.
- Draft and review settlement agreements and confidentiality and protective orders.
- Assist with document retention initiatives for the Company.
- Work with the human resources department, Chief Legal Officer and other managers to develop and implement labor-management relations strategies for the Company as a whole as well as strategies that are tailored to particular Company locations.
- Manage outside labor and employment counsel budget, work, and costs.
- Assist Chief Legal Officer in responding to and/or lead in responding to government investigations.
- Assist Chief Legal Officer in various administrative matters, such as planning, budgeting, and strategy for the Law Department.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelors Degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university and 15+ years of relevant experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Must have a JD degree from an accredited law school and be admitted to practice in at least one state.
- Minimum 10+ years of substantive labor and employment experience with a corporate legal department or a well regarded law firm.
- Skilled lawyer with the ability to manage heavy workload in a highly dynamic environment.
- Ability to effectively and efficiently manage multiple matters and changing priorities and to complete projects, in a timely and accurate manner. Detail-oriented.
- Excellent communication (oral and written), organization, analytical and interpersonal skills. Ability to clearly communicate complex concepts to internal clients and external stakeholders.
- Sound judgment, ability to think critically, make and articulate well-reasoned recommendations.
- Ability to counsel internal clients on the risks associated with various options and to present creative solutions to difficult problems to achieve the desired business outcome while appropriately managing risk.
- Performance-driven with good business sense, a strong work ethic and a sense of urgency, honesty and fairness. Strong sense of ownership over matters.
- Collaborative nature and collegial attitude; calm under pressure.
- Self-confident and inspires confidence. Committed to be an engaged partner to internal clients.
- Willing to travel on an occasional basis.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfields benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
About Smithfield Foods
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. Our 40,000 U.S. and 15,000 European employees are dedicated to producing “Good food. Responsibly.” and have made us one of the world’s leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including many industry firsts, such as our ambitious commitment to cut our carbon impact by 25 percent by 2025. We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our neighbors in need. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield, Eckrich and Nathan’s Famous, among many others. For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status, status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job characteristic as directed by law.
To apply for this job please visit www.goinhouse.com.