Pharmacy Technicians function is various areas of the pharmacy, e.g. inpatient, outpatient pharmacy, narcotic vault, procurement, various storage areas, offices and patient care areas, under the supervision of the supervisor, depending upon the area of administrative assignment of s/he or a registered pharmacist in the absence of a pharmacy supervisor. S/he provide various technical support services within the pharmacy department. This position involves proving services related to inpatient.
Learn more about this agency
Major duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Fosters productive and cooperative working relationships by showing understanding, courtesy, tact, and politeness to others
- Regularly cooperates with coworkers and others in meeting commitments and accomplishing assigned work on time
- Assists other employees in the work unit in accomplishing assignments including supporting co-workers when work is done.
- Routinely displays courteous and tactful behavior. Projects a positive and professional image of Pharmacy Service
- Responds constructively to feedback, seeking ways to improve. Consistently raises concerns in a constructive manner and offers potential solutions.
- Performance demonstrates efforts to improve patient satisfaction, and improve quality and timeliness.
- Provides courteous, cooperative, and timely service to patients, visitors, and staff, demonstrating good oral and written communication.
- Screens drug orders for accuracy and assist the pharmacist in solving potential drug related problems.
- Properly processes, fills and packages outpatient prescriptions for window and mail efficiently to achieve a twenty-minute window waiting time and two-day mail turnaround time.
- Fills window and mail prescriptions accurately.
- Distributes medication at the outpatient window after verifying two methods of identification of the patient/caregiver, providing special assistance to those with increased need.
- Correctly processes short stocked, partial supplies, mailed prescriptions and patient returns within stipulated time frames.
- Correctly processes and labels drugs, pre-pack items, bulk prescriptions per policy.
- Processes clinic orders, manages clinic stock inventory and fills clinic orders.
- Performs inventory replenishment, inspection maintenance and security control of crash carts, returning carts that have been serviced to the patient ready storage area.
- Has thorough understanding of code box and EMS box refill procedures. Documents all drug box exchanges properly and thoroughly.
- Maintains all pharmacy areas and equipment in a clean, neat, and organized fashion.
- Functions as first-line telephone contact for patients, providers, and/or the public. Addresses telephone requests in a timely and courteous fashion, processing, for example, refill requests, etc.
- Performs all other pharmacy duties as assigned
Work Schedule: Rotating 8 hour shifts (including Days, Evening, Nights, Weekends, and Holidays)
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Education or Experience. A high school diploma or equivalent; or at least 3 moths experience.
- Certification. National Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB).
- Grandfathering Provision. The following is the standard grandfathering policy for all Title 38 hybrid qualification standards. Some of these provisions may not apply to this occupation. Please carefully review the qualification standard to determine the specific education and/or licensure/certification/registration requirements that apply to this occupation. All persons employed in VHA in this occupation on the effective date of this qualification standard are considered to have met all qualification requirements for the title, series and grade held, including positive education and licensure/certification/registration that are part of the basic requirements of the occupation. For employees who do not meet all the basic requirements required in this standard, but who met the qualifications applicable to the position at the time they were appointed to it, the following provisions apply: Such employees in an occupation that does not require a licensure/certification/registration, may be reassigned, promoted, or demoted within the occupation. Such employees in an occupation that requires a licensure/certification/registration, may be reassigned, promoted up to and including the full performance (journey) level, or demoted within the occupation, but may not be promoted beyond the journey level or placed in supervisory or managerial positions. Such employees in an occupation that requires a licensure/certification/registration only at higher grade levels must meet the licensure/certification/registration requirement before they can be promoted to those higher grade levels. Employees who are appointed on a temporary basis prior to the effective date of the qualification standard may not have their temporary appointment extended or be reappointed, on a temporary or permanent basis, until they fully meet the basic requirements of the standard. Employees initially grandfathered into this occupation, who subsequently obtain additional education and/or licensure/certification/registration that meet all the basic requirements of this qualification standard must maintain the required credentials as a condition of employment in the occupation. If an employee who was retained in an occupation listed in 38 U.S.C. § 7401(3) under this provision leaves that occupation, the employee loses protected status and must meet the full VA qualification standard requirements in effect at the time of reentry to the occupation.
- English Language Proficiency. Pharmacy technicians appointed to direct patient care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English in accordance with chapter 2, section D, paragraph 5a, this part.
- Physical Requirements: This position physical demands are standing, reaching, bending, stretching, walking, and carrying light loads of supplies.
Preferred Experience: None.
Grade Determinations: GS-6 Pharmacy Technician.
(a) Experience. One year experience at the next lower level, and must fully meet the KSAs at the next lower level.
(b) Certification. PTCB certification is required at this grade level and above.
(c) Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities. Candidates must demonstrate the KSAs below:
1. Ability to solve problems and make recommendations, e.g., troubleshoot operational problems and refer for appropriate action.
2. Knowledge of the operation and care of automated equipment.
3. Knowledge of, and ability to follow, written instructions for compounding with aseptic technique for hazardous materials such as oncology agents.
4. Knowledge, and ability to perform, compounding with aseptic technique for routine sterile products.
5. Knowledge of policies and procedures for inventory management in specialized areas such as emergency carts.
6. Knowledge of the computerized prescription process demonstrated by the ability to input prescriptions and medication orders.
(d) Assignments. Pharmacy technicians may be assigned to any area of the pharmacy including expanded distributive function assignments; for example assignment as team leaders for specific process improvement teams involving technical areas or performing more highly complex duties including preparation of oncology agents for clinical pharmacy specialists. For all assignments above the full performance level, the higher-level duties must consist of significant scope, complexity (difficulty), and range of variety, and be performed by the incumbent at least 25% of the time.
References: VA Handbook 5005/15, Part II, Appendix G28The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-6.
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http: ope.ed.gov/accreditation/ . If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http: www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html .
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
Credentialing , Suitability/Fitness
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
VA Form 10-2850c Application for Associated Health Occupations can be found at: http: www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=2850&tkey=&Action=Search .
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's (current/former Federal employees), etc.
- Cover Letter
- Professional Certification
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.washingtonpost.com.