The Salem VA Medical Center is hiring a Practical Nurse for their Outpatient Specialty Clinic, come join our team.
Learn more about this agency
- LPN is responsible for providing nursing care to the veteran within the medicine and surgery clinics.
- Responsible for triaging and maintaining the clinic's flow, assisting with minimally invasive procedures, wound care, and other specialty related procedures.
- Assist with clinic-based procedures, dressing changes, and sterile tray-set up for procedures
- Responsible for review Veteran ( patient) list and coordinate care with other nursing team members
- Promptly return phone calls and secure messages ( i.e., Email)
- Assist surgeon and other providers with patient care and surgery scheduling
- Responsible for following through on schedule surgery and canceled/rescheduled surgeries
- Provide general pre-operative education and discuss VAMC policies
- Demonstration of the high level of personal and professional accountability and the ability to be self-directed
- Excellent nursing skills and effective organizational skills
- Ability to problem-solve, apply critical thinking skills, and resolve conflict
- Manages computerized documentation, medication administration, and leadership responsibilities
- Ability to work independently and within a team structure, Must have excellent interpersonal skills to communicate and coordinate patient care with the interdisciplinary team and follow through on Veterans request
- Communicates and interacts appropriately and courteously with all internal and external customers
- Candidate crossed trained to provide nursing coverage to other surgical specialty clinics as and when needed – required.
- Provides care appropriate to the age-related needs of patients served in the assigned area of practice
- Maintains confidentiality of electronic, written, and verbal patient/employee information
- Conforms to Medical Center and Service/Service Line policies, procedures, and protocols to avoid injury and illness to self and others
- Knowledge and skill sufficient to prepare, administer, and appropriately document actions taken specifically to commonly prescribed oral, topical, subcutaneous, and/or intramuscular, as permitted by approved local facility policies and procedures. Observation and documentation will include the patient's response to medication administered and the reporting of any notable change in the patient's condition to RN or MD/DO.
- Knowledge and skill in performing support duties for complex diagnostic tests and/or specialized practices or procedures, which include preparing the patient, assisting in the diagnostic examination, preparing and handling specialized instruments or other specialized equipment, and monitoring the patient's condition before, during, and following the procedure. Serves as a preceptor in orienting, educating, and training less experienced LPN/LVN's related to support duties for these more complex specialized tests/procedures.
- Reusable Medical Equipment (RME) is any medical equipment designed by the manufacturer to be reused for multiple patients. All personnel who are involved with the reprocessing of RME are responsible for knowing what reusable instruments, equipment, medical devices, or supplies are used (inventory) in their clinical area.
- Serves as a responsible member of the nursing team and interacts in an appropriate manner with patients, family members, professional, and other supportive personnel involved in the delivery of patient care through the use of acceptable and established customer service standards
- Must maintain active BLS certification as per VHA guidance
- Performs additional related duties within the Department of nursing and surgery, as required. Directly reports to the Nurse Manager / Assistant Nurse Manager
Work Schedule: 07:45AM – 04:30PM
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
Education: Graduate of a school of practical or vocational nursing approved by the appropriate State agency and/or accredited by the National League for Nursing [Accrediting Commission (NLNAC)] at the time the program was completed by the applicant.
Licensure: Full, active, current and unrestricted licensure as a Licensed Practical or vocational nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth of the United States, or District of Columbia.
English Language Proficiency: Licensed practical or vocational nurses appointed to direct patient care positions must be proficient in both spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d), and 7407(d).
Grade Determinations: In addition to the basic requirements stated above the following qualification criteria must be met for each grade.
- GS-3 None beyond the basic requirements listed above
GS-4 Six months of qualifying experience as an LPN or LVN; or Graduation from an approved school (which may be waived) and one year of experience that involved nursing care work in a hospital, outpatient clinic, nursing home, or other supervised medical, nursing, or patient care facility that provided a practical knowledge of human body structure and sterile techniques and procedures; or Graduation from an approved school of at least 24 months duration. LPNs at the GS-4 grade level perform all duties expected of employees at the GS-3 grade level; however, they are expected to exercise greater judgment, require less supervision, and to operate in accordance with all established policies, procedure, and technique.
GS-5 Completion of at least one year of qualifying experience at the GS-4 level or equivalent. Demonstrated knowledge and ability to provide a full range of practical nursing care to patients with a variety of physical and/or behavioral problems. Works with the RN and/or MD/DO to appropriately orient/train less experienced LPNs/LVNs and/or Nursing Assistants(NAs)/Health Technicians (HTs) in relation to acceptable standards of practice in promoting optimal patient care delivery. Provides effective education to patients and/or family members in relation to common disease processes, medication, and/or prescribed treatment regimes. Demonstrated ability to serve as a responsible member of the nursing team and interact in an appropriate manner with patients, family members, professional and other supportive personnel involved in the delivery of patient care, incorporating acceptable, established customer service standards into practice. Knowledge and skill sufficient to prepare, administer, and appropriately document actions taken specific to commonly prescribed oral, topical, subcutaneous, intramuscular, and/ or intravenous medications as permitted by approved local facility policies and procedures. Observation and documentation will include patient's response to medication administered and the reporting of any noted change in patient's condition to RN or MD/DO. Knowledge and ability to recognize the need for and to institute emergency measures when indicated, promptly seek the assistance of the RN or MD/DO, and assist in resuscitation procedures in cardiac and/or pulmonary arrest. Recognizes and appropriately responds to breakage/malfunction or loss of equipment, safety hazards, and supply deficiencies, promptly reporting to appropriate personnel for corrective action. Completed work is under the general supervision of an RN or MD/DO. Individuals at this grade level are expected to have a broad working knowledge of practical nursing procedures. However, completion of more complex practices or procedures may be subject to closer higher-level review.
GS-6 Completion of at least one year of additional qualifying experience at the GS-5 level or equivalent, fully meeting all performance requirements for the GS-5 LPN/LVN. Technically proficient initiating, performing and completing assigned duties in providing care to variable patient populations. Knowledge and ability to appropriately carry out assigned patient care based on the patients' conditions; to use judgment in selecting the appropriate order and sequence of procedures and treatments; and to accurately recognize, report and record relevant] patient information. Completed work should need only a general review by a registered nurse (RN) or physician (MD/DO) for appropriateness and conformity with established policies/procedures. Ability to observe, identify and respond to the patient's needs for care, including medication, equipment-assisted care and patient/family education. In organizing and delivering care, the LPN/LVN recognizes and considers emotional, cultural, spiritual, socioeconomic, and age-related factors. Prepares and administers prescribed medications (oral, topical, subcutaneous, intramuscular and/or intravenous) and performs treatments according to established policies/procedures. Observes for physical and/or emotional changes in patient's condition from prescribed medications/treatments, promptly and accurately documenting noted changes, and reporting any deviations from normal to RN or MD/DO. Knowledge and ability to recognize urgent or emergent patient care situations, seek assistance of the RN and/or MD/DO, and initiate appropriate emergency interventions as directed. Knowledge and understanding of human behavior, patient motivations and reactions to situations, and ability to appropriately utilize this knowledge in working effectively with patients, family members, and other staff. Establishes constructive relationships with individual patients and their families to elicit feelings and attitudes, and to promote positive relationships, communication and socialization skills. Fosters an environment of respect for individual patient and family rights to privacy and dignity in all aspects of care delivery. Effectively incorporates knowledge and understanding of established customer service standards in all interactions with patients, family members, and/or other internal/external customers. Knowledge and skill in performing support duties for complex diagnostic tests and/or specialized practices or procedures, which include preparing the patient, assisting in the diagnostic examination, preparing and handling specialized instruments or other specialized equipment, and monitoring the patient's condition before, during and following the procedure. Serves as a preceptor in orienting, educating, and training less experienced LPNs/LVNs or NAs/HTs related to support duties for these more complex, specialized tests/procedures. Actively seeks out educational opportunities to enhance nursing knowledge and skills, sharing new knowledge gained with other staff to improve and advance nursing practice.
References: VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G-13, Licensed Practical or Vocational Nurse Qualification Standard dated April 10, 2003.
The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-06. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is in the range of GS-03 to GS-06.
Physical Requirements: Heavy lifting (45 lbs and over); Straight pulling (8 Hours); Pulling hand overhand (8 Hours); Reaching above shoulders; Use of fingers, both hands required; Walking (8 Hours); Standing (8 Hours); Kneeling (8 Hours); Repeated bending (8 Hours), both legs required; Near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4, Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/40 in the other; Ability to distinguish basic and shades of colors; Hearing without aid; Hearing whispers; Mental and Emotional Stability
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http: ope.ed.gov/accreditation/ . If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http: www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html .
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
Credentialing , Suitability/Fitness
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- VA form 10-2850c
- LPN licensure
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
VA Form 10-2850c Application for Associated Health Occupations can be found at: https: www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850c-fill.pdf ***REQUIRED***
SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action (if applicable for Time in Grade and/or Eligibility):
- Most recent SF-50 if you are a current or former Federal employee
- An SF-50 showing your time-in-grade eligibility must be submitted with your application materials. If the most recent SF-50 has an effective date within the past year, it may not clearly demonstrate you possess one-year time-in-grade, as required by the announcement. In this instance, you must provide an additional SF-50 that clearly demonstrates one-year time-in-grade
- Award 50's do not provide sufficient information and will not be accepted for the purpose of verifying time-in-grade.
Examples of appropriate SF-50's include:
- Within grade increases at the highest grade held; or
- Promotions with an effective date more than one year old; or
- SF-50's at the highest grade held with an effective date more than one year old.
The following documents are accepted.
- Cover Letter
- VA form 10-2850c
- LPN licensure
- Other (3)
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.washingtonpost.com.