We are seeking a skilled, professional IT specialist to serve as the Information Systems Security Officer (ISSO) for the American Battle Monuments Commission (ABMC) worldwide.
Learn more about this agency
This Public Notice may be extended as necessary.
Your general duties will include:
- Serve as a senior IT Specialist, ISSO and Security Risk Manager;
- Evaluate the security of information systems using established processes and automated tools;
- Review and evaluate security incident responses & policies, instituting measures to ensure awareness and compliance;
- Investigate non-compliance issues and provide recommendations to effect compliance;
- Coordinate with external system developers to implement compliance recommendations for systems used by ABMC;
- Ensure the system security policy is available and applicable to all users;
- Provide training for all users on security and other requirements for access to any systems.
You can preview the Assessment Questionnaire here .
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship.
- Suitable for Federal employment as determined by appropriate background investigation.
- Males born after 12-31-1959 must be registered with Selective Service.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary/trial period.
- You must be able to pass an initial drug test, as well as mandatory or random testing thereafter.
- May be eligible for incentive pay.
- May be eligible for superior qualifications/special needs pay setting.
- Direct Deposit of pay is required.
- E-Verify will be used to confirm employment eligibility on new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- May be eligible for Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs.
Individuals must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies outlined below:
- Attention to Detail – Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Customer Service – Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
- Oral Communication – Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
- Problem Solving – Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
In addition to these four competencies, you must have:
One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service, to include: providing expert technical advice on IT security programs; reviewing systems, networks and software designs for potential security risks and advising management on mitigation; performing and observing technical assessment, inspections and reviews of information systems; and developing policies and training on IT security practices.
A Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) is highly desirable for this position.
Time in Grade
If you are a current Federal employee, or were a Federal employee in past 52 weeks, you must meet time-in-grade restrictions. This requires that you must have at least 1 year time-in-grade at the next lower level or equivalent in the Federal service to qualify.
Only experience obtained by the closing date of the announcement, or by the date of application review for open continuous announcements, will be considered.
Annual Leave Accrual Credit
Selectees may be eligible to earn a higher annual leave accrual rate based on prior non-Federal or uniformed service work experience. The amount of service credit will be based on specialized experience or qualifying experience that is provided on the applicant resume and documentation submitted.
This announcement may be used to fill additional or similar vacancies at the same grade level.
Permanent Change of Station (PCS) Costs
The majority of entitlements through a civilian Permanent Change of Station (PCS) with the government will be considered taxable benefits by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). If PCS costs are authorized, any additional taxes incurred will be offset either by government regulations, Agency policy, or both, as applicable.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): If you have never worked for the Federal government, you are not ICTAP eligible. View information about ICTAP eligibility on OPM's Career Transition Resources website. To receive selection priority, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria; (2) be rated well-qualified for the position; and (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. To be considered well-qualified and receive selection priority, applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and have a rating of 85 or above.
Drug Testing Requirement
All applicants tentatively selected for the position will be required to submit to drug testing prior to appointment as a condition of employment. Once notified, applicants should be aware that drug tests must be completed within 48 hours of notification. Refusal to complete the test or a failed test will be grounds for withdrawal of tentative or final job offers. If hired, you will be subject to random testing pursuant to the ABMC Drug-Free Workplace Plan.
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the application process is complete, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine whether you meet the job qualifications listed on this announcement.
You must ensure your experience and qualifications are CLEAR and SPECIFIC.
The first 50 qualified and eligible candidates who apply by 11:59pm EST, April 7, 2021, will be considered for referral to management. Additional applicants may be referred based on management request.
As this position is listed through Direct Hire Authority, Veterans' Preference will not apply and applicants will not be rated or ranked prior to referral.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Attention to Detail
- Customer Service
- Oral Communication
- Problem Solving
- Information Systems Security Certification
- Information Security/Network Security
- IT Customer Support
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Noncritical-Sensitive (NCS)/Moderate Risk
Trust determination process
Credentialing , Suitability/Fitness
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume listing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed, and Grade Level (if Federal employment);
2. Online Assessment Questionnaire, as completed through this Vacancy announcement;
3. Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional;
- College transcript(s), only if qualifying based on education;
- Most recent SF-50 or Notification of Personnel Action, if applicable;
- Most recent Federal Performance Appraisal if you are a current Federal employee;
- DD-214, SF-15 Form and VA letter, or certification of expected discharge or release from active duty for consideration under Veteran hiring authorities.
If you submit multiple copies of the same document, only your most recent uploaded document (by date & time stamp) will be considered. If your resume or supporting documents are illegible or unreadable, or if you fail to include any of the above mentioned required documents, you may lose consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents have been submitted. If your application materials contain sensitive or inappropriate information, including but not limited to: photographs; classified or government sensitive information; copied and pasted portions of this job announcement; obscene information, etc., you may not be considered. Falsifying your background, education, and/or experience is cause for non-selection, disqualification from further consideration or withdrawal of tentative or final job offers.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.washingtonpost.com.