Applied Materials, Inc.
Corporate Counsel Licensing, Technology Transactions, Business Development
Applied Materials, Inc. is the leader in materials engineering solutions used to produce virtually every new chip and advanced display in the world. Our expertise in modifying materials at the atomic level and on an industrial scale enables customers to transform possibilities into reality. At Applied, our innovations make possible the technology shaping the future.
For several years, Applied has been actively exploring growth opportunities to expand its core competency in precision materials engineering, including a wide range of business development opportunities in adjacent and emerging technical spaces.
Reporting to the Licensing & Technology Transactions function within the Corporate Business Development group in the Global Law Department, this attorney will have responsibility for in-bound (inorganic growth) and out-bound (royalty-bearing) technology licenses, IP acquisitions and divestitures, joint development and commercialization agreements, spin-outs, and other complex strategic alliances and IP-related transactions. The person will counsel executives and senior business managers in structuring and implementing new business models, and assessing legal and operational risks. This person will work closely with the Applied Ventures (the venture investment arm of Applied) and Corporate Business Development teams to evaluate new business opportunities in emerging technology areas, invest-to-acquire, license-for-equity, and JDA-for-equity transactions.
Applied is seeking an energetic team player able to provide counseling on a wide range of legal and IP issues, processes, and strategies. The candidate should be comfortable interacting with business executives, technologists, colleagues, subject matter specialists in other functional groups, as well as Applieds business partners and their legal counsel. The Applied Law Department environment is fast-paced, challenging, collegial, and collaborative.
Provide business-oriented legal advice to fast-growing high-tech businesses with an emphasis on actionable insight and recommendations. Work closely with business management to develop and implement new business models, ensure understanding of legal concepts and implications, and formulate negotiation strategies and roadmaps. Draft and negotiate a broad range of IP- and technology-related agreements, manage outside counsel, and ensure proper internal alignment and approval of deals. Conduct or oversee due diligence on IP portfolios, startup companies, and proposed deals. Work closely with attorneys from the IP Dept, Commercial Transactions groups (sales and supplier agreements), Litigation/Investigations, and other legal functions along with representatives from Finance, Operations, Tax, Treasury, Trade, HR, Environmental Health & Safety, Security, and Real Estate/Facilities to analyze and mitigate risks, and coordinate efficient deal execution. Contribute to the development of corporate policies and best practices. Create, implement, and improve processes to mitigate risk, reduce inefficiencies, and improve responsiveness. Provide training on policies, practices, new business models, and legal issues to the business units and within the Global Law Dept.
- Juris Doctorate (JD)
- 5+ years of legal experience in both law firm and in-house corporate legal departments with a focus on technology transactions including IP licenses, joint development agreements, IP purchases and sales, and other strategic alliances.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; active listener; inclusive.
- Excellent negotiation skills including first-hand experience of leading negotiations with parties across multiple jurisdictions.
Preferred Qualifications, Skills, and Attributes:
- Licensed to practice in California.
- Registered US patent attorney or substantial experience in patent and trade secret litigation, and IP-related due diligence for M&A or other transactions.
- Technical acumen, and a capacity to quickly learn new business and technology concepts.
- Experience with IP-related investigations and competitive intelligence.
- Experience working with venture capital firms or investments, or counseling startup companies.
- Familiarity with key US and foreign antitrust and unfair competition issues impacting licenses and other IP transactions.
- Strong intellect and capacity for handling complexity (both in terms of sophisticated legal and business issues and multiple, overlapping projects)
- Sound legal and business judgment, and personal standards of excellence.
- Ability to organize and condense complicated legal and business situations into easily-understandable presentations with clear guidance and recommendations.
- Understand how to translate business needs into contract language, including creativity in finding solutions to help resolve business issues.
- Passionate, proactive, highly-motivated, able to work independently on a wide variety of tasks and drive results.
- Ability to prioritize and manage projects, and shift priorities quickly as business needs evolve.
- Excellent organizational skills, including attention to detail and ability to define specific action plans based on general guidance and deliver results.
- Ability to see the big picture and identify and design-out problems from the outset; continuous improvement mindset.
- Ability to work collaboratively across organizational boundaries, and with a diverse group of colleagues and internal clients in multiple countries.
- Personal presence that inspires trust and confidence; highest integrity; willingness to engage in constructive debate; desire to do things the right way and fortitude to speak out when confronted with challenges.
- Ability to lead and ability to perform as part of a team.
- Flexible, personable, and enjoys a dynamic corporate culture.
Years of Experience:
7 – 10 Years
Applied Materials is committed to diversity in its workforce including Equal Employment Opportunity for Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
To apply for this job please visit www.goinhouse.com.