Top 5 reasons YOU should choose a career with VA:
1. A premium benefits package
2. A fulfilling and challenging work environment
3. Work where you want to live
4. On-the-job growth and advancement
5. To discover the career you want, for the future you deserve.
Learn more about this agency
As a Nursing Assistant with the VAMHCS Community Living Center you will perform a wide range of resident care, restorative services, treatment and charting activities on a regular and continuing basis. The incumbent delivers safe and individualized nursing care to long term care residents with multiple and complex needs and performs in such a way as to promote a sense of dignity and resident preferences. He/she provides care that addresses physical, emotional, rehabilitative and spiritual needs of veterans. Provides competent nursing care in a variety of situations to meet resident needs for personal hygiene, physical comfort, nutrition, elimination and prevention of skin breakdown while participating in a resident treatment team. The incumbent should possess basic understanding of the culture transformation in Long Term Care, and understanding of simple scientific facts and principles, a broad spectrum of technical skills, adaptation of procedures to meet individual patient needs, quality of life , preferences , and recognition of the relatedness to residents ' behavior and physical condition.
Work Schedule: Rotating tours to include nights and weekends
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position for training and/or patient care needs.
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
- The VA Maryland Health Care System is a 24/7 functioning hospital.
- Current/ Valid American Heart Association BLS and ACLS Cards are required
- All employees of the VA Maryland Health Care facility are deemed to be providing critical services. Incumbents of these positions are required to be at work regardless of emergency situations or any general dismissal authorization.
- All VA properties are now a smoke and vape free environment.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Education or Training. One year above high school with courses related to the Nursing Assistant occupation. Completion of an intensive, specialized, occupation-related course of study of less than one year as a nursing assistant may also meet in full the experience requirements for GS-3.
- English Language Proficiency. Nursing Assistants must be proficient in spoken and written English in accordance with VA Handbook 5005, part II, chapter 3, section A, paragraph 3j.
Grade Determinations: GS-05 Nursing Assistant (Full Performance Level):
(a) Experience. One year of progressively responsible assignments and experience equivalent to the GS-4 level which demonstrates knowledge, skills, and abilities that are directly related to the specific assignment. In addition, the candidate must demonstrate the professional KSAs in subparagraph (c) below;
Examples of assignments and experience at the GS-5 level include but are not limited to:
1. Ability to provide a range of patient/resident care and contribute to the completion of the nurse care plan and recovery of patients/residents.
2. Ability to observe patients/residents' or resident's physical or emotional status and refer deviations and/or problems to supervisor in a timely manner.
3. Ability to properly use equipment, materials and supplies in simple diagnostic and treatment procedures such as bladder scan, continuous passive motion device, blood glucose monitoring machine, specimen collection, etc.
4. Ability to communicate effectively with patients/residents, their families and other health professionals.
(b) Education. Successful completion of a 4-year course of study above high school leading to a bachelor's degree that included 24 semester hours of courses related to health care or possession of a bachelor's degree; AND
(c) Demonstrated KSAs
1. Ability to assist in the full range of nursing care to patients/residents with physical and/or behavioral problems in a hospital, long term care or outpatient setting under the direction of a Registered Nurse and/or Licensed Vocational Nurse/Licensed Practical Nurse.
2. Ability to communicate orally with patients/residents, families, interdisciplinary team and other personnel. This includes serving as a preceptor to new CNAs by assisting with the coordination of their orientation and overseeing/assessing their practical experience while in a clinical setting.
3. Ability to recognize and react to emergent patient/resident care situations and intervene while waiting for assistance. For example, recognizing need for basic life support, controlling bleeding and assisting with behavior crisis, etc.
4. Ability to properly use equipment, materials and supplies in simple diagnostic and treatment procedures such as bladder scan, continuous passive motion device, blood glucose monitoring machine, specimen collection, etc.
(d) Assignment. This is the full performance level for CNAs. CNAs at this grade level function as a member of the nursing care team and assist licensed nursing staff in the care of patients/residents receiving outpatient care, home or community living care or other patients/residents who are in acute, sub acute or chronic states of illness. The distinguishing factor is that patient/resident assignments typically involve more complex nursing needs which can vary within a range of predictable to unpredictable requirements. CNAs at this level also assume more of a peer education/mentorship role.
- Geriatric Nursing Experience in Long Term Care in the last 3 years; highly desired
- Current Nursing Assistant Certification; preferred
- BLS Card; preferred
The full performance level of this vacancy is a GS-05.
This position will be filled at the full performance level GS-05
References: Nursing Assistant Qualification Standard GS-621 Veterans Health Administration, VA Handbook 5005 Part II Appendix G46.
Physical Requirements: Physical Requirements: It is VA policy to ensure that all selected applicants and employed personnel are physically, mentally and emotionally fit to perform the duties of the position to which assigned. A pre-placement physical examination is required for all fulltime, part-time and intermittent employees identified by VA Directive and Handbook 5019. The pre-placement physical examination shall be completed prior to appointment to determine the physical and mental fitness for candidates for appointment in VA. The examination will be concerned with the mental and physical ability of the applicant to satisfactorily perform the duties of the proposed assignment and will include requisite laboratory and other screening as required by Federal regulatory agencies.
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http: ope.ed.gov/accreditation/ . If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Receiving Service Credit or Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employee's credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. Such credit must be requested and approved prior to the appointment date and is not guaranteed.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Moderate Risk (MR)
Trust determination process
Suitability/Fitness , National security
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- VA Form 10-2850c Application for Associated Health Occupations
VA Form 10-2850c Application for Associated Health Occupations can be found at: http: www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=2850&tkey=&Action=Search . The application is a requirement in order to be considered.
Application 10-2850c is required to be considered for this position. Please complete the form in its entirety. If you answer "YES" to questions item #15B and/or item #28 through #37, please attach a separate sheet of paper with a brief explanation for each question to which you answered "Yes". Information must be current, not older than six months . Outdated and/or incomplete applications will be ineligible for consideration. Completion of the application includes signing and dating pg. 3 and pg. 4.
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain job title, hours worked per week and the dates of employment with a detailed description of the duties performed (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application will be marked as incomplete and you will not receive consideration for this position.
- If you are claiming licensure, you must include the License Type, Expiration date, Licensure Number.
- If you are using education and or certifications, this information must be clearly stated in the body of your resume. You must include Name, School, type of Degree and Year of Graduation, certifications must include certifying body, certification number and expiration of certification. Credentials beside your name will not be used to meet qualifications.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
HR will not make assumptions when reviewing resumes; please be clear and concise when listing duties and responsibilities.
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's (current/former Federal employees), etc.
- DD-214/ Statement of Service
- Disability Letter (Schedule A)
- Disability Letter (VA)
- VA Form 10-2850c Application for Associated Health Occupations
- Professional Certification
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), 10pt (CP/CPS/XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP) in the questionnaire. You must provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) which shows dates and character of service (honorable, general, etc.). If you are currently serving on active duty and expect to be released or discharged within 120 days you must submit documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), and dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veteran Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. Documentation is required to award preference. For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit http: www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx .
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.washingtonpost.com.