THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This National Guard position is for a AIRCRAFT PNEUDRAULIC SYSTEMS MECHANIC, Position Description Number D1367000 and is part of the MD 175th ANG, National Guard.
Learn more about this agency
This position is located in a National Guard aircraft maintenance organization. Its primary purpose is to perform on- and/or off-equipment maintenance on assigned aircraft pneudraulic systems, components and related aerospace ground equipment.
(1) Performs maintenance operational and functional checks on assigned pneudraulic systems. Troubleshoots, removes, inspects, installs, repairs, modifies, rebuilds, and/or tests pneudraulic systems and components for aircraft pneudraulic systems, associated ground support equipment, and/or related test equipment. Accomplishes periodic and special inspections on hydraulic components. Inspects all components and subsystems for operation, internal, and external leakage and servicing. Operates portable test stands for checkout of pneudraulic system. Removes, installs, and/or repairs Pneudraulic components from aircraft and associated aerospace ground equipment. Removes, disassembles, cleans, repairs, assembles components, and tests completed unit. Operates test equipment for all hydraulic components. Inspects for cracks, scratches, nicks, and holes on seals, gaskets, packings, and hoses. Modifies systems and their components. Rigs, adjusts, and aligns hydraulic components to ensure maximum operating efficiency. Polishes cylinders and pistons to ensure proper fit. Investigates pneudraulic failures to determine causes and accomplishes corrective maintenance.
(2) Performs installation, modification, and/or repair of aircraft pneudraulic systems. Determines proper maintenance, repair procedures and minimum requirements pertaining to parts, clearance and tolerances, and performance characteristics of pneudraulic systems and related aerospace ground equipment. Solves unusual maintenance problems by studying layout drawings, schematic diagrams, applicable technical publications, and analyzing construction and operating characteristics of pneudraulic systems. Determines repair procedures necessary to correct defective equipment. Diagnoses recurring malfunctions and recommends corrective action by initiation of Quality Deficiency Reports, proposed modifications, or other appropriate actions. Performs Time Compliance Technical Orders (TCTOs) related to pneudraulic systems. Accomplishes local manufacture of hose assemblies and provides testing of aircraft tubing. Accomplishes hydraulic fluid sampling on assigned aircraft, test stands, and servicing equipment. Re.
(3) Performs organizational and field level maintenance to include periodic, phase time, calendar ,unscheduled, and special inspection. Provides technical assistance to other shops concerning
complicated interaction malfunctions between other systems, subsystems, and components. Jacks aircraft to simulate flight configuration, connects power sources, and uses cockpit controls, gauges, and additional precision instruments to check the operation of such items as landing gear doors, ground and flight spoilers and steering and brake systems for performance and conformance to operating specifications.
(4) Prepares for and participates in various types of readiness evaluations such as ORI, IG and UE inspections, mobility, and command support exercises. May be required to perform such additional duties as structural fire fighting, aircraft fire/crash/rescue duty, serve as security guard, removes now, load and handle munitions, launch/recover and service of aircraft, operate heavy equipment, maintain facilities and equipment, or serves as a member of a team to cope with natural disasters or civil emergencies.
Works inside and outside, in inclement weather; on icy, wet, and slippery ramps; aircraft surfaces and work stands; and in temperature and humidity extremes. Subject to dangers from exposure to
toxic fumes, high pressure air and fluids, fast actuating metal aircraft surfaces; such as landing gears, speed brakes, missile doors and flaps, engine noise, heat blast, intake suction; rotating propellers; explosive munitions; electrical voltage cartridge actuating devices; liquid oxygen, fire or explosion of aircraft fuels, lubricants, paints, and solvents. Requires moderate to strenuous physical exertion when climbing, stooping, standing, bending, stretching, and working in tiring and uncomfortable positions.
(5) Performs other duties as assigned.
Conditions of Employment
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED. This is an indefinite position. Indefinite employment does not confer permanent tenure and is covered under tenure group 3. Indefinite technicians serve at the will of the appointing officer and may be separated any time, after a 30 day written memorandum is issued by the HRO. this position may be converted to a permanent status without further competition.
If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position. This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard, required prior to the effective date of placement. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement. Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service. Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation. Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
Military Grades: E5 and below
GENERAL EXPERIENCE : Experience or training which demonstrates your knowledge of basic electrical and mechanical principles; knowledge of troubleshooting procedures used to isolate malfunctions in aircraft pneudraulic systems; and ability to use technical manuals, equipment specifications, and test calibration procedures in performing the work
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE WG-08: Experience or training which provided a knowledge of basic electrical and mechanical principles. Experience in fabricating fuel, oil and vacuum hose lines. Experience in servicing, maintaining, disassembling assembling, repairing and testing hydraulic and pneumatic systems. Experience in diagnosing malfunctions and overhauling pneudraulic accessories by disassembling, cleaning part and examining parts. Experience in diagnosing trouble and determining remedies. Experience in servicing, maintaining, disassembling, assembling and repairing pneudraulic ground equipment. Experience using hand tools and test equipment. Experience that demonstrates the ability
to interpret technical manuals, specifications and publications.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE WG-10 : In addition to the WG-08 specialized experience must have, experience in repairing, rebuilding and overhauling major systems of ground equipment and pneumatic and hydraulic systems. Experience in mechanical repairs using hand tools and test equipment.
You must provide transcripts or other documentation to support your Educational claims. To receive credit for Education, you must provide documentation of proof that you meet the Education requirements for this position.
This is an indefinite position. Indefinite employment does not confer permanent tenure and is covered under tenure group 3. Indefinite technicians serve at the will of the appointing officer and may be separated any time, after a 30 day written memorandum is issued by the HRO. this position may be converted to a permanent status without further competition.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency ( https: www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx ).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics): Knowledge of hydraulic and pneumatic principles and physical laws governing the behavior of liquids and gases is required. A required knowledge of aircraft pneudraulic systems and equipment used to maintain and check aircraft pneudraulic equipment. Knowledge of aircraft structures and the relationship of aircraft pneudraulic systems to the structure and to other aircraft systems. Knowledge of basic electrical and mechanical principles. Knowledge of and ability to troubleshoot malfunctions and make necessary adjustments and repairs. Ability to plan work sequence and read and interpret technical orders, manufacturers' specification manuals, schematics, etc. Ability to use hand tools, jigs, and fixtures and skill in operating special tools is required.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates (including Month and Year, e.g., 02/2017, Feb 2017, etc.) of employment and duties performed.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.washingtonpost.com.