Sempra Energy is a California-based energy infrastructure company leading the energy transition and serving more consumers in North America than any other utility holding company. Our mission is to be North America’s premier energy infrastructure company, delivering affordable, reliable and increasingly decarbonized energy to the markets we serve, including California, Texas, Mexico and global power generation markets. We have consistently been recognized for our leadership in sustainability, and diversity and inclusion. Our company is the only US utility company named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. We are also a member of the Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index and recently named one of the “World’s Most Admired Companies” for 2021 by Fortune Magazine, the eleventh consecutive year our company has received this honor. The Sempra Energy companies’ more than 18,000 employees are united by our vision to deliver energy with purpose and live our values every day — doing the right thing, championing people and shaping the future. Visit our sustainability report to learn more about our company, including our bold goals relating to achieving world class safety, championing people, driving resilient operations and enabling the energy transition: https: www.sempra.com/sustainability/sustainability-report
A career at Sempra Energy presents the opportunity to join a team with a unique combination of diverse expertise, top talent and strong management, who all set a powerful foundation for sustainable growth and a bright future.
This attorney will work with the labor and employment law attorneys to provide support to Sempra Energy’s benefits department as well as the human resources personnel at Sempra Energy’s operating companies The successful candidate will be an ERISA attorney with the ability to conduct primary research and analysis; to draft memoranda, plan amendments, and other ERISA documents; and to advise both verbally and in writing on a wide range of operational and compliance matters with a minimum of reliance on outside counsel. This position requires a high degree of independent analysis and judgment and the ability to work directly with a variety of outside counsel, corporate legal staff, accounting and compliance, human resources and benefits staff, and operating company personnel.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Evaluate and advise on questions arising out of the design, implementation, and administration of various ERISA retirement, wellness, and health and welfare plans.
- Draft and update summary plan descriptions.
- Evaluate potential plan modifications to meet client goals, and understand impacts of plan modifications on collective bargaining agreements and internal policies.
- Draft and revise plan documents and amendments.
- Review and advise on plan forms and communications, including 5500s, SARs, affordable care act (ACA) reporting, 404a and QDIA notices, etc.
- Advise on issues related to qualified domestic relations orders (QDROs).
- Manage claims and appeals from plan decisions, including drafting communications and advising the benefits committee regarding claims and appeals.
- Evaluate and respond to government agency inquiries, including department of labor audits and internal revenue service employee plans compliance resolution system (EPCRS).
- Support various company initiatives and programs,
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- JD (Juris Doctor) or L.L.B. from an accredited law school required.
- 8+ years related experience.
- Substantial related working experience as an attorney required.
- Experience in the utility industry preferred.
- Admission to the California Bar, and a member in good standing required.
Licenses and Certifications:
To apply for this job please visit www.goinhouse.com.