This position is being recruited under 10 USC 1599f into the Cyber Excepted Service and does NOT convey eligibility to be converted to the Competitive Service. It has been identified as a position necessary to carry out and support the mission of the US Cyber Command.
It is in the Professional Work Category at the Full Performance Work Level within the CES Occupational Structure. It is located in the DISA MEDIA RELATIONS BRANCH (BDC5).
Learn more about this agency
- Advises senior DISA leaders, including the Director, on matters pertaining to public information. Advises senior management on the most effective methods of communicating information to variety of target audiences.
- Supervises team of public affairs specialists, with meticulous attention detail and command of the Associated Press Stylebook and experience managing crisis communication (internally/externally).
- Oversees development, management, and implementation of a strategic communication plan that promotes name recognition and enhances the DISA image as DoD's full service IT and telecommunications provider.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, including news articles, reports, correspondence with the ability to read content, correct for errors in spelling, punctuation, and grammar per the Associated Press Stylebook.
- Reviews, approves, and authorizes the public release of articles, speeches, and presentations regarding DISA operations and activities; also reviews these products for compliance with established security policies and DoD Directives.
- Assists as appropriate in planning special events, ceremonies, tours, press conferences, story pitching and other activities for internal and external audiences. Works in a fast-paced environment, juggling competing priorities.
- Writes and evaluates communication strategic plans, including execution reports evaluating success at meeting plan goal and SMART objectives.
- Analyzes and prepares speeches for senior-level leaders, key messages, and talking points.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service.
- This national security position, which may require access to classified information, requires a favorable suitability review and security clearance as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain security eligibility may result in termination.
- Drug testing position
In order to qualify for this position, you must meet the requirements described below.
To qualify at the GG-14, your resume must describe at least one year of experience that demonstrates the competencies necessary for immediate success in the position. Experience refers to any paid or unpaid experience, including volunteer work and Military service, that would be considered equivalent to work normally performed at the next lower grade level in the federal service. For this position, qualifying experience is defined as:Planning, management, and development of a communication program; development and implementation of public affairs guidance and strategic communication policy; and informing targeted audiences of the organization's mission, projects, and programs.
Candidates must describe how they meet the qualifying experience and/or selective placement factor(s) within the body of their resume. All qualifications must be met within 30 days after the closing date of this announcement.
There is no substitution of education for the qualifying experienceat the GG-14 grade level
- This position is in the Excepted Service and does NOT convey eligibility to be converted to the Competitive Service. It is being recruited under 10 U.S.C. 1599f into the Cyber Excepted Service (CES) personnel system.
- If you are a current Federal Career/Career-Conditional employee, you will be placed on an Excepted appointment.
- This appointment does not confer eligibility to be non-competitively converted to an appointment in the competitive service.
- A three year trial period may be required if you have not previously completed a trial or probationary period in the excepted or competitive service.
- This position is subject to completion of 1 year probationary period for assignment to a supervisory position.
- Telework availability will be based upon the mission requirements and supervisory determination
- Individuals tentatively selected for drug testing designated positions at the Defense Information Systems Agency will be required to submit to urinalysis for illegal drugs prior to appointment or placement.
- We may use this announcement to fill additional vacancies within 90 days of the closing date.
- Moving costs MAY be paid.
- The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 makes certain reimbursements/payments taxable. For information on these changes and the Relocation Income Tax Allowance (RITA), for which some appointees are eligible, click here .
- Recruitment, relocation, or retention incentives MAY be authorized.
- The Department of Defense (DoD) policy on employment of annuitants issued March 18, 2004 will be used in determining eligibility of annuitants. It applies to former Federal civilian employees receiving a retirement annuity from the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund that are hired within the DoD on or after November 24, 2003. The policy also applies to annuitants (appointed in DoD on/or after November 24, 2003) who move from one position to another within DoD through voluntary reassignment, promotion, change to lower grade or transfer between military departments. Please see this policy here .
- Because this position is in the Cyber Excepted Service, Veterans' Preference will be applied to preference eligible candidates, as defined by Section 2108 of the Title 5 U.S.C. in accordance with the procedures provided in DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 3005, "CES Employment and Placement." If you are a veteran claiming veteran's preference, as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 U.S.C., you must submit documents verifying your eligibility with your application package.
- For more information on the Cyber Excepted Service Personnel System, click here .
- For more information on veterans' preference, click here .
- For more information regarding qualifications requirements, click here .
- If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the application process is complete, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the applicant questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
You can preview the Questionnaire here: https: apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11060142
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Critical-Sensitive (CS)/High Risk
Trust determination process
FOR THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT THE FOLLOWING SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS ARE REQUIRED AS THEY APPLY STATED BELOW AND MUST BE RECEIVED BY THE CLOSE OF THE ANNOUNCEMENT. NOT ALL DOCUMENTS WILL APPLY TO EVERYONE.
Your complete Application Package (containing the above required documents) must be received no later than 11:59 pm Eastern Time on 04/12/2021.
WARNING: Failure to submit a complete application package including any required documentation by 11:59 PM (EST) on 04/12/2021, or at the time of application for announcements with an extended closing date, may result in an ineligible rating and loss of consideration. To verify that your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, select Application Status and More Information. The Details page will display the status of your application. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered, uploaded is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.washingtonpost.com.