County of Santa Clara
Under direction, to perform professional legal work in the Office of the Public Defender.
- Provides legal counsel to clients in serious and complex criminal and civil matters in Superior or Juvenile Courts;
- Conducts research and writes motions required for trials, hearings, and other legal proceedings;
- Conducts preliminary hearings;
- Evaluates investigation results and works closely with investigators and paralegals to prepare cases for trial and other hearings;
- Handles all aspects of felony cases from plea through trial including post trial sentencing;
- Tries cases when necessary and appropriate to protect client’s interests;
- Performs specialized legal work in serious and complex criminal cases;
- Provides courteous, high quality service to members of the public by personally responding to requests for service;
- Identifies and addresses competency and other mental health issues and needs;
- May be assigned as a Disaster Service Worker, as required;
- Performs related work as required.
Active membership in the California State Bar is required upon appointment.
Two years of experience as an Attorney II with Santa Clara County.
Four Years of experience in the full time practice of law in a government agency or in private practice.
* Experience as an attorney in a Public Defender’s Office in another public agency may be considered equivalent for appointment or promotion in the corresponding Public Defender’s Office in the County of Santa Clara.
To apply for this job please visit www.goinhouse.com.