Navy Gateway Inns & Suites (NGIS) is a Non-Appropriated Fund Instrumentality (NAFI) of the Department of the Navy (DON) that provides professionally managed business-based lodging- for a mobile defense community. The NGIS program provides services, amenities and accommodations that are similar to those provided by quality, commercial hotels. This Position is located at the Navy Gateway Inns & Suites operation at Dam Neck Annex.
Learn more about this agency
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Performs varying degrees of complexity in cleaning processes.Demonstrates proficiency related to daily service, check-out, deep cleaning, and special project cleaning assignments based on Lodging program cleaning standards.
- Vacuums, sweeps, and mops floors; dusts, polishes, cleans, and moves furniture.
- Removes trash, places in dumpsters, and replaces liners.
- Places proper number of amenities in room to include consumables/non-consumables, linen, kitchen, and bathroom.
- Removes and replaces bed linen, inspects mattresses and pull-out sofas, and moves/re-positions beds upon guest checkout, weekly, or at a guest's request. .
- Cleans walls, doors, ceilings, stand-up/ceiling fans, light fixtures, exterior of air vents, windows, sills, tracks, blinds and curtains.
- Cleans coffee makers, ice buckets, beverage kits, refrigerators, stove tops, cookware, utensils, cutlery, cups/glasses, plates, sinks, counters, ovens, ranges, cupboards, drawers, and microwaves to include proper programming of its respective clock/time.
- Ensures dishwashers are clean and in working condition.
- Cleans vanities, mirrors, hardware, cabinets/shelving, toilets, bath tubs/shower stalls, tile, and bathroom exhaust fans. Replaces bathroom terry and linens to include shower curtains.
- Cleans irons, removes excess water and replaces as necessary, cleans ironing boards and replaces covers as necessary, cleans and ensures proper functionality of luggage racks and ensures proper numbers of clean male/female hangers are available in closets.
- Cleans washers and dryers and ensures machines are operational.
- Ensures in-room guest directories are clean and organized, TV's are clean and programmed to proper channel and volume, alarm clocks are properly programmed with back-up battery and in-room phones are clean, properly programmed, and in working condition.
- Cleans common area spaces to include vending rooms and ice machines, laundry rooms, elevators, break rooms, walkways, corridors, stairwells, office spaces, lounges, storerooms and storage spaces.
- Performs deep cleaning as required by program standards (e.g. on a scheduled basis and upon check-out of guests in "pet friendly" rooms and in rooms that had an ADA service animal), which includes, but is not limited to: defrosting the refrigerator, cleaning windows (inside and out), replacing and/or cleaning drapes, moving furniture and cleaning normally hidden areas, carpet cleaning (shampoo and/or spot treatment), cleaning walls/woodwork, and other such tasks.
- Counts, sorts, inspects, and prepares linen for operational use.
- Applies Blood Borne Pathogen criteria to determine potential safety concerns related to contaminated linens and applies appropriate NGIS protocols during daily service activity.
- Completes maintenance requests for items broken, defective, or in need of replacing.
- Performs basic, routine maintenance on vacuum cleaners by cleaning all areas and replacing filters as necessary.
- Maintains the cleanliness, inventory, and organization of housekeeping carts and linen carts.
- Reports any damages or valuables (e.g. large amounts of cash, jewelry, or confidential/sensitive information) left out in the open by guests to the Supervisor.
- Reports any activity that appears unsafe, illegal, or suspicious to the Supervisor.
- Interacts professionally with guests and other team members, displays a positive attitude, utilizes effective communication skills, and assists guests to include answering questions concerning hotel facilities and provides information about on base and local attractions.
- Communicates with the front desk when identifying lost and found items by annotating all relevant information to facilitate retrieval of the item for that specific guest.
- Maintains key control for assigned key and reports any issues immediately to the Supervisor.
Conditions of Employment
- Must successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. Any discrepancies must be resolved as a condition of employment.
Resumes must include information which demonstrates experience, knowledge, skills, and ability (KSAs) as they relate to this position.
Applicants are encouraged to be clear and specific when describing their experience level and KSAs.
A qualified candidate possess the following:
- Knowledge of cleaning procedures and proper use of cleaning equipment and approved cleaning chemicals, including familiarity with applicable safety Data Sheets (SDS).
- Knowledge of NGIS program standards.
- Knowledge of how to operate all in-room appliances (e.g., coffee maker, television, clock radio, telephone, etc.)
- Ability to utilize Property Management System (PMS) software to update room status using the in-room telephone system.
- Ability to accurately complete daily room status reports and housekeeping assignment sheets.
- Ability to interpret, execute, and document cleaning actions in accordance with NGIS Housekeeping Manual and program policy guidance.
- Ability to apply knowledge of general cleaning procedures to complete housekeeping tasks.
- Ability to safely and properly use common hand and powered tools.
- Ability to apply sound judgement to schedule and prioritize work assignments in order to honor requests for NO Service/Do-Not-Disturb while adhering to program standards for in person service follow-up and cleaning frequencies.
- Ability to navigate web-based Learning Managed System (LMS) and use associated software to complete online and e-learning training.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in English, both verbally and in writing with management, staff and guests.
This position does not have a positive education requirement.
This position may be designated ALPHA personnel for inclement weather or in the interest of national security and may be required to report for work when other employees are excused.
This position is subject to the possibility of workdays on weekends and holidays, as well as, rotating shifts, often consisting of other than normal duty hours.
May be recalled to duty and/or required to work overtime, including on an emergency basis.
Subject to satisfactory completion of physical examination.
May be required to possess a valid state drivers licenses, as travel to other facilities may be required within the normal scope of duties. Applicants will be notified when this is a requirement for appointment.
This position is subject to a favorable National Agency Check (NAC).
This position is required to attend and complete mandatory training programs to obtain housekeeping certification and re-certification. Training is provided in varying environments such as classroom-trainer led, online self-guided courses, virtual-led courses and hands on training.
The incumbent is required to complete any other required annual trainings designated by the Department of Navy.
Salary is dependent on experience and or education.
Some positions have special requirements. Selectee may be required to complete a one (1) year probationary period. Participation in Direct Deposit/Electronic Transfer within the first 30 days of employment is required. We utilize E-Verify to confirm selectee's eligibility to work in the United States. Salary is dependent on experience and/or education.
This announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies within 60 days of issuance of selection certificate. For positions requiring travel more than twice a year, selectee may be required to obtain and maintain in good standing a Government-issued Travel Card for official government travel purposes.
Executive Order 12564 requires a federal workplace free of illegal drugs. According to the Executive Order, all Federal employees are required to remain drug free throughout their employment. Commander, Navy Region Mid-Atlantic Command is a Drug-Free Workplace. The use of illegal drugs will not be tolerated, and use of or intoxication by illegal drugs will result in penalties up to and including removal from Federal Service.
The Department of the Navy (DON) is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Applicants are assured of equal consideration regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, mental or physical disability, genetic information, reprisal, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, or any other non-merit factor. This agency provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Applicants with disabilities who believe they may require reasonable accommodations should email their request to nsapplicationsnhr-ma.com to ensure proper consideration is given. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Resumes will be reviewed to determine if they meet the hiring eligibility and qualification requirements listed in this announcement, and will be rated based on the information provided in the resume to determine the level of knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) related to the job requirements. Using the qualifications of the position, a predetermined rating criterion of KSAs will be used for each resume. Best qualified applicants will be referred to the hiring manager. The selecting official may choose to conduct interviews.
Click the following link to preview the applicant questionnaire: Preview Applicant Questionnaire .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
The following documents are required at the time of application:
OF-306 – Declaration for Federal Employment
If current Federal Employee, a copy of your most recent Personnel Action Report (PAR) or SF-50 and evaluation report is required.
If claiming Military Spouse Preference, a copy of sponsor's orders and marriage certificate is required.
If claiming Veteran's Preference, a legible copy of DD-214 (pg. 4) as well as any other supporting documentation (disability, proof of service, SF-15, etc.) is required.
If claiming Department of Defense (DOD) Non-appropriated Fund (NAF) Business Based Action (BBA) Priority consideration, submit a copy of the notice of separation
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.washingtonpost.com.