Senior Counsel, Commercial
Founded in 2013 and based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Zymergen is a leading technology company unlocking the power of biology. We deliver better economics for products made from biology that are used across industries, bring new products to market faster, and develop novel products. Our proprietary platform uses robots and machine learning to engineer microbes faster, more predictably, and to a level of performance previously unattainable. These microbes, and the products they produce, have broad applications across industries such as chemicals and materials, agriculture, home & personal care and healthcare. For more information visit www.zymergen.com.
Zymergen is seeking an attorney to join its dynamic legal department to support the needs of its rapidly growing business operations. Reporting to the Legal Senior Director, Commercial, you will work collaboratively with all attorneys in the legal department and the teams responsible for Zymergens global operations and product commercialization, including Sales & Marketing, Sourcing, Compliance and Regulatory. Beyond your day-to-day responsibilities, you will work on special projects such as strategic transactions, business process improvements, training and implementing company policies.
- Review, draft and negotiate agreements supporting build-out of global product sales and supply chain operations, including buy-side and sell-side commercial agreements.
- Primary legal counsel for assigned business unit(s), such as consumer care, electronic films, adhesives and/or other commercial product lines.
- Be a trusted business partner and legal advisor supporting international product sales & marketing, including negotiations with customers, distributors and other commercial partners in consumer care, electronics and other sectors.
- Be a trusted business partner and legal advisor building international product supply chains, including negotiations with raw material suppliers, toll manufacturers, contract manufacturers, logistics partners and others.
- Advise on day-to-day legal issues (including the intersection with regulatory and compliance) related to new products and business lines, supporting products from the end of the development cycle through commercialization.
- Develop form agreements, contracting standards, playbooks and other tools to streamline and standardize purchasing and commercial sales processes and related contract terms and counseling.
- Manage outside counsel providing local counsel and supporting strategic transactions.
- Develop and support implementation of company policies, such as vendor policies, contract compliance, product stewardship, marketing claims and trade compliance.
- Partner with Compliance and Regulatory Affairs team members for seamless service to the business.
- J.D. from a top 50 law school
- Member of the California Bar (or CA registered in-house counsel eligible)
- 5-10 years of experience, with 3+ years at in-house legal departments of multi-national companies and/or Top-100 US national law firm
- Strong commercial experience, including consumer marketing, global sales and distribution, and providing advice & counsel to marketing, sales, manufacturing and supply chain professionals and executives.
- Experience drafting, negotiating and advising on sophisticated and complex contracts, including multi-jurisdiction distribution and reseller agreements, e-commerce, contract manufacturing, strategic sourcing, and other goods and services agreements supporting global product commercialization and supply chain operations (e.g., manufacturing scale-up, product testing, regulatory compliance, logistics, professional services, and other partner and vendor agreements).
- Demonstrated expertise advising on the legal aspects of product commercialization and supply chain operations in the consumer care, electronics, materials, biotechnology, manufacturing or life sciences sector.
- Drafting, maintaining and deploying form agreements, standard terms and conditions (buy-side and sell-side) and negotiation playbooks.
- Developing and deploying systems, tools and training for consistent and efficient delivery of legal services and support for global commercial operations.
- Experience with diverse international commercial business models and supply chain structures and related contracting, particularly in Europe and Asia, for consumer care or electronics products is a plus.
- Highly responsive and service-oriented attitude
- Sound and practical business judgment
- Ability to quickly gain fluency in new subject matter areas
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally, between 5% 25%
- Comfortable with a start-up environment, or willing to adapt
- A sense of humor and adventure
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. Zymergen may agree to sponsor an individual for an employment visa now or in the future if there is a shortage of individuals with particular skills for this job.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Founded in 2013 and headquartered in the SF Bay Area, Zymergen is a science and material innovation company rethinking biology and reimagining the world. A World Economic Forum Tech Pioneer, Zymergen partners with nature to create never-before imagined materials and products across industries from agriculture to consumer electronics, personal care to pharmaceuticals, and more. The companys materials are in use today, creating value for Fortune 1000 companies and major corporations across the globe. Our clients have sold over $1 billion worth of products using Zymergen microbial strains. For more information visit: www.zymergen.com.
To apply for this job please visit www.goinhouse.com.