Do you want to change the world? We do, too.
The energy market is roughly $4 trillion globally, and solar penetration is less than 1%. But just one hour of sunlight, if harnessed, could power the entire world for a year. We have the opportunity to completely change the way energy is produced, distributed and consumed on a global scale, and were looking for talented, committed people to help us drive our growth and achieve our goals.
SunPower is a global solar energy solutions company with a rich heritage of pioneering the best energy technologies in the world. Our solutions are unrivaled in terms of long-term reliability, efficiency and guaranteed performance, and our company is unmatched in terms of global reach and scale. Through design, manufacturing, installation and ongoing maintenance and monitoring, SunPower provides its proprietary, world-record efficient solar technology to residential, commercial and utility customers worldwide.
SunPower is changing the way our world is powered every day with a brilliant, passionate and driven team of more than 2,000 in North America and the Phillipines. In an industry that is reshaping the worlds energy future, theres no better place to be than SunPower.
We believe that our employees create our brand with each project, each communication, each task completed and each interaction. Experience is critical to SunPower in regards to not only our customers but also our employees and dealer partners. As such, we strive to hire candidates that are service focused. The experience we would expect the ideal person to deliver is:
SUMMARY OF ROLE
We are seeking a highly experienced transactional attorney with extensive knowledge in renewable energy project development, construction, finance and operation. This attorney must have an in-depth understanding of all aspects of commercial solar projects and tax equity structures and be comfortable with complex and unique deals in markets across the United States. This position will report to the Associate General Counsel, C&I Solutions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following (other duties may be assigned):
- Support the legal needs of SunPowers Commercial & Industrial (C&I) Solutions business
- Draft, review and lead negotiations of affiliate/value-added reseller agreements, engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contracts, subcontracts, operation and maintenance (O&M) agreements, service agreements, consulting agreements, solar power purchase agreements (PPA), equipment sales agreements, government grant agreements, and other company contracts.
- Lead the negotiation of financing agreements with various investors.
- Advise on and provide support for tax, real estate, permitting, regulatory and other issues associated with the development phase of solar energy projects.
- Maintain and implement company contracts and assist with licensing processes.
- Supervise other legal matters associated with C&I solar installations.
The ideal person for this role will possess the following:
- Demonstrated success in drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts for complex projects while working with the accounting and project finance groups to structure and negotiate projects for future project financings and asset sales.
- Extensive experience drafting and negotiating power purchase agreements, engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) agreements, real property leases, equipment leases, licenses, sales agreements, nondisclosure agreements, indemnity agreements, amendments and operations and maintenance agreements.
- Deep knowledge of membership interest purchase agreements and other contracts for sale-leaseback, partnership-flip and asset sale transactions.
- Strong confidence as an advisor on all aspects of renewable project construction issues, real property issues, Federal tax issues and state tax issues in multiple jurisdictions.
- Creativity to research, analyze and solve unique issues for which no precedent exists.
- Ability to work independently while being available to put in long hours on a regular basis, all while retaining the flexibility to re-prioritize projects at the drop of a hat.
- History of working well under pressure and meeting deadlines with customers and internal departments while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Long track record of effectively communicating with external stakeholders such as senior counsel, Fortune 100 customers, lenders and investors.
Education and License
- 15+ years experience working on legal aspects of structured tax-based financings, project financings, asset-based financings or renewable energy project development.
- US-credentialed Juris Doctor degree.
- Active license to practice law in at least one US jurisdiction.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and makes employment decisions, including but not limited to, hiring, firing, promotion, demotion, training, and/or compensation, on the basis of merit. Employment decisions are based on an individuals qualifications as they relate to the job under consideration. The Companys policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions, the actual sex of the individual, or the gender identity or gender expression), race, color, religion, including religious dress practices and religious grooming practices, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, familial status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected veteran or military status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws, ordinances, or regulations. The Company is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. This commitment applies to all persons involved in the operations of the Company and prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee of the Company, including supervisors and co-workers.
Accommodation for Applicants to SunPower Corporation
SunPower Corporation is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and provides reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures. If you have any difficulty using our online system and you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, you may use the following alternative email address to contact us about your interest in employment at SunPower Corporation: jobssunpower.com. Please indicate in the subject that line of your email that you are requesting accommodation. Only candidates being considered for a position who require an accommodation will receive a follow-up response.
NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS AND EMPLOYEES
Availability of Affirmative Action Plan for Review
SunPower is a federal government contractor. As a part of the Companys obligations under law, it must develop a written Affirmative Action Program (AAP) for the Disabled, Recently Separated Veterans, Armed Forces Service Medal Veterans, Disabled Veterans and Active Duty Wartime Or Campaign Badge Veterans and for Women and Minorities as specified by law. Non-confidential and non-proprietary aspects of the AAP are available for inspection by applicants and employees, consistent with applicable law, which will be made available during office hours by contacting the EEO Officer.
To apply for this job please visit www.goinhouse.com.