You will serve as a Supervisory Research Physicist.
This is a public notice flyer to notify interested applicants of anticipated vacancies. Applications will not be accepted through this flyer. Interested applicants must follow the directions in the "How to Apply" section of this flyer to be considered. There may or may not be actual vacancies filled from this flyer. Notice of Result letters will not be sent to applicants who respond to this flyer.
Learn more about this agency
- You will be responsible for the organization and supervision of the Optical Physics Branch and its mission.
- You will be providing the Navy and Marine Corps with advanced research in nanotechnology.
- You will be providing the Navy and Marine Corps with advanced optical concepts and materials; organic, inorganic and hybrid optoelectronics.
- You will be providing the Navy and Marine Corps with quantum information science and technology and sensor development.
- You will be responsible for supervision of the branch members and maintaining the financial health of the branch.
- You will be the first line supervisor for three section heads (all NP-IVs), as well as the Branch secretary.
- You will be the second line supervisor for the other government employees of the Branch (currently 21 people of whom 6 are presently NP-IVs).
- You will be responsible for most aspects of personnel management including evaluating staff performance, interviewing potential employees, and recommending promotions and hiring.
- You will determine the strategic direction for Branch research, insuring that they are well-aligned with Navy and Marine Corps applications and of high scientific importance.
- You will provide leadership for branch members concerning project conception, preparation of proposals, marketing to internal / external sponsors, allocating resources for programs, and reporting to the project sponsors and scientific community.
- You will perform technical and programmatic evaluations to monitor the progress of programs across the branch.
- You will initiate and monitors contracts for research when needed.
- You will represent the Branch to other government agencies and sponsors.
- You will perform research in areas of current or future interest to the branch.
- You will ensure their branch is in full compliance with EEO/Safety/Security and all other NRL policies and regulations.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment drug test (including marijuana) is required. A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if you fail to report to the drug test appointment or pass the test. You will be subject to random testing.
- You will be required to complete ethics orientation within three months of appointment and submit a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report, OGE-450, within 30 days of appointment.
- Supervisors in the executive branch have a heightened personal responsibility for advancing government ethics. You will be required to review the 14 General Principles of Ethical Conduct at 5 CFR 2635.101.
You will serve as a Supervisory Research Physicist within the Optical Sciences Division, Code 561000 of the NAVAL RESEARCH LABORATORY
In addition to the Basic Education Requirements your resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the grade level or NP-03 pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector performing most or all of the following duties: (1) Supervision of the Optical Physics Branch and its mission to provide the Navy and Marine Corps with
advanced research in nanotechnology; advanced optical concepts and materials; organic, inorganic and hybrid optoelectronics; quantum information science and technology; and sensor development; (2) Determining the strategic direction for Branch research, insuring that they are well-aligned with Navy and Marine Corps applications and of high scientific importance; (3) Providing guidance and leadership for branch members concerning project conception, preparation of proposals, marketing to internal and external sponsors, securing and allocating resources for program execution, and reporting to the project sponsors and scientific community; (4) Performing research in the following fields: nanofabrication science and technology; quantum science and technology; novel nonlinear optical and electro-optical materials for sensor protection, optical switching and processing; semiconductor quantum well structures for high temperature mid-IR diode lasers and detectors; development of optical instrumentation for real-time in-situ detection of airborne bacteria; sensor development for oil and hydraulic fluid debris monitoring; and synthesis and development of bioconjugated quantum dots as unique biological and environmental probes; and (5) Reporting of research results at scientific meetings and program reviews and publishes results in the scientific literature.
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management website: https: www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/1300/physics-series-1310/
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.
Basic Education Requirements
Degree: physics; or related degree that included at least 24 semester hours in physics.
Combination of education and experience — courses equivalent to a major in physics totaling at least 24 semester hours, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
This position is covered by the Department of Defense Priority Placement Program.
Several vacancies may be filled.
This position is eligible for part time, full time or ad-hoc telework at the discretion of management.
A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to meet the pre-employment requirements, including failure to report to any of the scheduled appointments.
Federal annuitant information: The selection of an annuitant is subject to the Department of Defense and Department of the Navy policy on the employment of annuitants. Policy information may be found at: http: www.secnav.navy.mil/donhr/Documents/CivilianJobs/FedCivAnnuitants.pdf .
A supervisory pay differential may be granted up to 5%.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
In order to qualify for this position, your resume must provide sufficient experience and/or education, knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are being considered. Your resume is the key means we have for evaluating your skills, knowledge, and abilities as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your experience.
As vacancies occur, the Human Resources Office will review your resume to ensure you meet the hiring eligibility and qualification requirements listed in this flyer. You will be rated based on the information provided in your resume, along with your supporting documentation.
If selected, you may be required to provide additional supporting documentation.
If after reviewing your resume and supporting documentation, a determination is made that you inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may be found ineligible/not qualified.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
All qualification requirements must be met before being considered for any vacancies.
Background checks and security clearance
Sensitive Compartmented Information
Drug test required
A complete resume is required. Your resume must show relevant experience, job title, duties and accomplishments. Your resume must show complete information for each job entry to support minimum qualifications. The following information should be provided in your resume, but it is acceptable to provide elsewhere in your application package: employer's name, starting and end dates (Mo/Yr), hours per week, and pay plan, series and grade level (e.g. GS-0201-09) for relevant federal experience.TIP: A good way to ensure you include all essential information is to use the Resume Builder in USAJOBS to create your resume.
Are you claiming membership in any professional organizations, or possession of a license, certificate or credentials? Check the Conditions of Employment section above to see if any are required. If you claim membership, license, certification, or credentials, you must submit a copy of said document in your application package.
Are you using education as a substitute for some or all of the experience requirement? Is there a basic education requirement for this position? Check the Education section above to see what is allowed and what is required. Any claims you make in your resume or assessment questionnaire regarding education or degrees MUST be supported by submitting with your application official or unofficial transcripts or a list of courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned issued from your school. While unofficial transcripts are acceptable for initial application, an official transcript will ultimately be required if you are selected for the position. You may submit a copy your degree(s) if specific coursework does not have to be verified.
Are you a veteran claiming 5-point veterans' preference or claiming sole survivorship preference? You must submit a copy of your latest DD-214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (any copy that shows all dates of service, as well as character of service [Honorable, General, etc.] is acceptable) OR a VA letter that shows dates of service or service connected disability AND character of service. If you have more than one DD-214 for multiple periods of active duty service, submit a copy for each period of service. If you were issued a DD-215 to amend aforementioned information on the DD-214 you must submit that too. If you are not sure of your preference eligibility, visit the Department of Labor's website: Veterans' Preference Advisor
Are you a disabled veteran or claiming 10-point veterans' preference?
If you are eligible to claim 10 point veterans preference you must submit a DD-214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty as described above for 5-point preference.
You must also provide the applicable supporting documentation of your disability (e.g. disability letter from the VA) as described on Standard Form-15 (SF-15). http: www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf .
Are you an active duty service member? Active Duty Service Members are required to submit a statement of service printed on command letterhead and signed by the command. The statement of service must provide the branch of service, rate/rank, all dates of service, the expected date of discharge and anticipated character of service (Honorable, General, etc.).
Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents contain personal information such as SSN and DOB and some documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove said personal information before you submit your application. You must provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.washingtonpost.com.