Bring YOUR energy to Alliant Energy!
At Alliant Energy, our purpose is to serve customers and build strong communities. We are passionate about powering beyond the market challenges of today, while powering whats next in energy.
When our employees say I am energy, it means they take pride in the work we do when disaster strikes, as well as all the days in between. We reward our highly hardworking and dedicated teams and give them the support they need to ensure their safety, wellness and financial security for themselves and their families.
If youd like to work at a place where you matter and where you can use your talents and passions to advance your career, join the Alliant Energy team.
What sets us apart?
- Competitive pay and an excellent benefits package
- A dedication to career growth and development
- A culture that elevates our core values of live safety, do the right thing, care for others, make things better, act for tomorrow, and think beyond be bold.
- The chance to create a positive impact on our local communities
Alliant Energy has an exciting opportunity for a Corporate Counsel to join our legal team. In this position, you will be an essential member of our team performing substantive high-level legal work that supports and implements the strategic plans of the organization. Our ideal candidate has strong corporate/transactional background or regulatory expertise, and is highly accountable, strategic, solution oriented, and collaborative. Initially the position location is remote and eventually will report to our office in Madison, WI, or Des Moines, IA.
Alliant Energy will not provide sponsorship for an employment visa (e.g., H-1B visa) now or in the future for this position.
- Provides legal counsel on complex regulatory and/or commercial matters.
- Drafts and reviews a wide range of legal documents. Responsible for specialized role in complex projects involving internal teams, business units and external resources and/or leads highly specialized, complex projects.
- Assignments are carried out with significant independence. Regularly works with executive and top-level management and corporate counsel from other organizations and serves as a primary point of contact for internal clients related to legal issues.
- Collaborates with business units and various staff departments, facilitates compliance with federal and state regulations. Remains abreast of proposed legislation and regulatory changes across a number of disciplines which might affect the organization.
- Develops strategy, advocates and manages regulatory dockets before state or federal regulatory agencies involving multiple parties to achieve successful outcomes.
- Monitors legal and business developments that may affect a project and determines the appropriate course of action. Responsible for assessing project risk. Evaluates the scope and resources used for the project and determines the level of expertise (internal and/or external) needed to complete a project. Manages stakeholder relationships and communications.
- Applies in-depth skills and broad knowledge of the business to solve technical or complex problems. Adapts approach as required to achieve intended outcomes, prioritizes actions effectively in order to respond to numerous, diverse problems and demands. Applies a longer-term perspective to situations and actions. Leads the development of strategic plans. Predicts trends and adapts plans and priorities to address business and operational obstacles.
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge, skills and experience in at least two areas of law. Continues to expand and broaden knowledge about the utility industry, Company, and related disciplines. Contributes to learning and building knowledge the legal department requires.
- Respectfully questions the client, where applicable, or when business decisions create legal risks. Gives direction and offers support. Provides resources to remove barriers to task accomplishment. Supports a knowledge sharing and learning culture.
- Demonstrates adaptability by working creatively to fit specific situations and accepts change even when there is ambiguity. Develops new approaches for job or area. Generates new ideas to enhance legal processes.
- Takes on substantial commitments/projects and works to achieve results. Takes accountability for driving results with and through others; makes things happen.
- Juris Doctorate (J.D) from an accredited law school, college or university is required
- Certificate(s) of Admission to practice law in Wisconsin or Iowa, or ability to become licensed within six months, is required
- 5 years of experience in a wide range of legal issues after receiving law degree.
- Must be a licensed attorney.
- Experience in working effectively with senior management.
- Experience either drafting and negotiating complex commercial transactions, or leading the strategy, development, drafting, and advocacy in regulatory dockets.
- Solving problems of diverse scope and moderate to high complexity requiring in-depth analysis to determine appropriate solution.
- Promotes and supports diversity initiatives and equal employment opportunity.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities
- Proven ability to plan and carry out complex and non-routine legal work at a high level with minimum direction.
- Demonstrated excellent legal research skills.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to use computer software programs (e.g., e-mail, word processing, spreadsheet, and project management).
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse and inclusive work environment.
It’s not just what we do; it’s how we do it.
- Live safety. Everyone. Always – Our first priority is that nobody gets hurt.
- Do the right thing – We keep our promises and conduct our business openly and honestly.
- ?Care for others – Together we create a workplace where people feel like they belong and can use their unique backgrounds, talents and perspectives to their fullest potential.
- Make things better – We partner with our customers and communities to solve problems, create opportunities and help make life better.
- Act for tomorrow – We use resources wisely, care for the environment and continuously improve ourselves and our company.
- Think beyond. Be bold – We create and embrace change, innovate beyond current practices and use our curiosity to find new solutions.
*NOTE: All candidates selected for employment with Alliant Energy will be required to successfully complete a drug screen and background check.
We are committed to providing an inclusive work environment for all and are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Protected Veteran.
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
To apply for this challenging opportunity, please complete our online application at www.alliantenergy.com/careers.
Applications will be accepted until a qualified pool of candidates is received.