Thornburg Investment Management
Thornburg Investment Management is a privately owned global investment firm offering a range of solutions for investors around the world. Founded in 1982 and headquartered in Santa Fe, NM, we manage U.S. mutual funds, separate accounts for high-net-worth investors and institutional accounts, and UCITS funds for non-U.S. investors.
At Thornburg, its more than what we do; its how we do it. A flexible perspective built on collaboration and cross-pollination of ideas, an unconventional approach to portfolio construction, and a reputation of integrity are important aspects of how we do business. Far from the groupthink of Wall Street, Thornburg is positioned to offer a different point of view and a broader frame of reference in our global search for relative value opportunities.
We are seeking an analytical General Counsel to optimize our organizational efficiency regarding legal matters. The General Counsel (GC) will apply expertise across all of our business areas, working to protect the interests of our business, customers, and employees. The GC will ensure that the company operates within applicable law at all times, offer counsel on various legal issues (including employment matters, mergers and acquisitions, and global business issues), and facilitate business strategy development. A successful GC is a self-starter with an exceptional ability to manage and coordinate competing demands, and the ability to analyze and clearly communicate complex legal concepts. Top candidates will be team players with outstanding advocacy and people skills.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Developing and leading corporate legal strategy to promote and protect the company’s long-term interests.
- Providing expert and strategic legal advice to executive management and board on various matters such as legal rights, and new and existing laws.
- Evaluating and weighing multiple inputs and impacts of any decision or course of action.
- Maintaining knowledge of organizations operations and legal documents.
- Creating new entities and managing organization’s intellectual property.
- Provides in-house legal counsel on employment related matters, which may include, but is not limited to, human resources issues, wage and hour law, workers compensation, unemployment and other state agency claims, employee benefits, workplace policies, FMLA and employee leave matters, and employment related litigation including arbitration, mediation and administrative processes.
- Provides advice and guidance on high-risk employment related matters including involuntary terminations and other employee relations matters.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations.
- Drafts, reviews, revises, and makes recommendations regarding employment policies to ensure ongoing compliance.
- Identifies and assesses legal risks and opportunities within the employment area and provides appropriate advice to Thornburg Human Resources Director and/or leadership.
- Supervises, manages, evaluates, and coordinates with outside counsel on all employment law related matters.
- Exercises independent judgment on the need for additional legal research and periodic review of litigation strategy.
- Establishes and maintains relationships, credibility and trust within the organization, with outside contacts including outside counsel, and within the local community.
- Provides other legal advice and expertise as requested.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND FORMAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school
- Membership in good standing in at least one state bar (New Mexico preferred)
- Prefer candidate with experience in handling employment matters before federal, state courts and administrative agencies
- Ability to simply and clearly communicate complex legal and compliance issues
- Experience providing practical, step-by-step application of employment laws and regulations
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong analytical and leadership skills
- Ability to develop and evaluate legal strategy and objectives
- Ability to anticipate legal issues or risks and to see around the corner
- Ability to work independently while being able to contribute successfully to cross-functional teams
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to manage multiple projects at once, follow through and meet deadlines
- High level of integrity
- Strong interpersonal skills able to effectively interact with all levels of the organization
- Highly adaptable
- Strong business acumen
- Ability to demonstrate sound judgment and common sense, even in ambiguous situations
- Ability to travel and work extended hours when necessary.
- Ability to sit at a desk and work on a computer for extended periods of time.
Santa Fe is the capital of New Mexico. Founded in 1610 and nicknamed “The City Different,” Santa Fe captures hearts and minds with its museums, restaurants, theater, opera, and adobe-style architecture. With an average of over 300 sunny days per year and picturesque landscape, it’s no wonder that outdoor activities such as skiing and hiking in “The Land of Enchantment” attract visitors from around the world.
Thornburg believes that diversity and inclusivity are vital to positive long-term success for our strategies and the firm’s broader business outcomes. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status. The firm provides annual progress reports to the investment management team, shareholders, and executive management to highlight multiple diversity and inclusivity metrics and continually work to bring awareness to the importance of this issue.
To apply for this job please visit www.goinhouse.com.