- Acts as lead counsel to assigned MedStar Health hospitals, serves on hospital leadership teams and manages day-to-day legal needs of these hospitals. Acts as subject matter expert for Region and/or System on one or more areas of healthcare or other relevant area of law.
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school.
- 7 years experience in healthcare law matters, including 5 years in a law firm, government agency or federal clerkship with direct involvement in relevant matters.
- Member in good standing of at least one U. S. state bar; District of Columbia and/or State of Maryland bar preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent verbal, presentation and written communication skills. Excellent analytical, research and negotiation skills. Proficient in computer software applications and systems, including, but not limited to Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint and Internet-based search and research technologies. Sound independent judgment and the ability to effectively provide legal advice and counsel as a strategic partner to in-house clients. Multi-tasking skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced work environment are critical to this position.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Communicates clearly and promptly, both in writing and verbally, with all levels of hospital management, and with other members of the Legal Department on legal and other business and operational issues.
- Conducts complex legal analyses and develops timely and pragmatic legal solutions to business problems, including contracting, business arrangements, patient care issues and regulatory compliance issues.
- Demonstrates expertise regarding, federal, state and local healthcare laws and regulations.
- Demonstrates strong organizational, prioritization and delegation skills while working with minimal supervision.
- Develops and contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards and safety standards. Ensures compliance with hospital/facility policies and procedures and governmental/accreditation regulations.
- Develops and maintains substantive knowledge regarding the healthcare industry, the business and strategic objectives of the assigned hospitals, the MedStar System and the Legal Department.
- Effectively collaborates with and supports attorneys and other staff to achieve objectives of the hospitals, region, and System, including devoting time to supporting office and departmental administrative functions.
- Exercises sound independent judgment as lead counsel and advisor, responsible for identifying, addressing and managing legal needs in support of business and strategic objectives for assigned hospitals.
- Manages and supports outside counsel, as needed. Supports Systemwide initiatives as assigned.
- Participates in Systemwide multidisciplinary quality and service improvement teams as appropriate. Participates in meetings, serves on committees and represents the department and hospital/facility in community outreach efforts as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Provides advice and counsel to hospital executive staff on wide range of legal issues relating to business and transactional matters such as physician arrangements, laboratory services, accreditation and licensure issues, medical staff matters and credentialing.
- Serves as member of hospital Leadership Team and acts as chief legal advisor to hospital president at assigned hospitals.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
To apply for this job please visit www.goinhouse.com.