CenterPoint Energy and its predecessor companies have been in business for more than 150 years. Our vision to lead the nation in delivering energy, service and value drives our strategy and performance. We have an unwavering commitment to safely and reliably deliver electricity and natural gas to millions of people.
Inclusion and Diversity
CenterPoint Energy is committed to creating an inclusive work environment where business results are achieved through the skills, abilities and talents of our diverse workforce. At CenterPoint Energy, individuals are respected for their contributions toward our company objectives. We strive for an inclusive work environment across all levels that is reflective of the available workforce in the communities we serve.
Learn more in the About Us section of our careers web site.
The CenterPoint Energy legal department is looking for a Senior Counsel with a strong background in securities law compliance and governance matters, especially with regard to Exchange Act and other required public company disclosures and supporting the Office of the Corporate Secretary. This attorney would report to the Associate General Counsel and Corporate Secretary.
Specifically, youll have the opportunity to:
Provide legal advice on and support for:
- Securities laws and public company disclosure matters, including reviewing and drafting filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (e.g. Annual Reports on Form 10-K, Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, Current Reports on Form 8-K and Section 16 filings). Function as a member of the Disclosure Review Committee.
- Public company corporate governance matters, corporate governance documents, and compliance with stock exchange listing requirements
- Support Corporate Secretary, including preparation for board, committee and shareholder meetings; drafting meeting notices, agendas and minutes; reviewing and drafting board presentations; and assisting with various other governance / board processes.
- Support subsidiary governance management, including drafting written consents, resolutions, secretary certificates and governing documents; maintaining proper records; and forming/dissolving legal entities.
- Assist with the review of investor materials including earnings and other financial materials, various press releases, and other public disclosures.
- Assist with the provision to the board of strategic support, advice and analysis, as well as play a role in the companys shareholder engagement efforts.
- Assist with corporate transactions and review of contracts, as needed.
- Support various departments, including Accounting, Treasury, and Investor Relations.
- Participate in and lead legal department initiatives.
- Interact with, and establish the respect and confidence of, senior business leaders and members of business functions
- Exercise strong leadership ability and conflict resolution skills
- Keep company updated and advised on general legal issues and best practices
- Develop standardized forms and procedures for assigned area
- Participate in the definition and development of policies, procedures and programs, and provide continuing counsel and guidance on implications of all legal matters
- Required to learn company policies, procedures and safety rules
- Manage a high volume of matters at any given time, work well under pressure, successfully handle and prioritize multiple competing assignments, and effectively manage deadlines
- Oversee and manage outside counsel and staff, as required
- Requires an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university and a J.D. (Doctor of Jurisprudence) degree from an accredited law school.
- Minimum 3 years of corporate experience at a large law firm and/or as in-house counsel.
- Must be eligible to practice in at least one state in the United States, preferably Texas.
- Significant experience with matters relating to securities law compliance, public disclosures and corporate governance
- Experience in energy and utilities, including with electric generation, transmission and distribution and natural gas distribution, work, is a plus.
- Managing outside counsel law firms is a plus
- Demonstrated commitment to pro bono and community activities
This position is located at our corporate office in Downtown Houston, TX.
This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a), and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or disability.
US-TX-Houston-CenterPoint Energy Tower
Apr 6, 2021
Posting End Date
Apr 21, 2021