As Corporate Counsel you will provide legal advice and support with a focus on commercial transactions and corporate governance. You will develop a system to manage all contracts for the companys North American operations that includes evaluation and tracking of third-party alignment with Patagonias commitment to equity and antiracism and with the companys mission: Were in Business to Save our Home Planet. You will also help evolve a corporate governance structure centered around Patagonias status as a Benefit Corporation and advocate for multi-stakeholder, values driven models of governance with the goal of transforming capitalism.
What Youll Do
- Act as primary point of contact for all contracts for the Companys operations.
- Develop a user-friendly digital contracts management system that includes a mechanism for evaluating vendors alignment with the Companys equity and mission-driven metrics.
- Provide legal advice on material terms of key contracts for the company.
- Provide legal advice and analysis for any corporate transactions, such as acquisitions, joint ventures, international distributorships or partnerships.
- Provide support and advice in carrying out duties relating to effective governance, as well as information on governance best practices through the lens of the Companys mission and values and its Benefit Corporation status.
- Oversee Patagonias Benefit Corporation requirements, including its Annual Benefit Corporation Report and, in partnership with various partners throughout the company, the third-party certification provided by B Lab.
- Advocate for the advancement and adoption of the Benefit Corporation Model and other goals and initiatives that advance responsible capitalism.
- Maintain corporate minute books and required corporate filings.
Who You Are
- Innovative and not bound by convention
- Comfortable working outside of templates and precedent
- Committed to transforming capitalism
- Passionate about all life on earth and ensuring an inhabitable, just and equitable world
- Flexible and adaptable
- Able to see big picture but willing to get into the weeds
Experience You Bring
- JD from an accredited law school
- At least 3 years of experience practicing corporate law, either with a firm or a company
- Experience negotiating deals
- High level of comfort working with technology and systems
- Understanding of multi-stakeholder, values driven corporate governance models
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive, inclusive work environment through equitable, cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.