ABOUT HAPPY MONEY
Hey, weary applicant!
Are you rummaging through job descriptions while asking yourself, “What is Happy Money?” or “What does Happy Money do?” or “Why is this job description asking me questions?”
In short, we change the way that people think about and use money.
Happy Money is a next-generation financial service that uses psychology and financial happiness products to help borrowers become savers.
Our goal is to disrupt revolving credit card debt and maximize happiness for people along the stages of their financial life through three primary experiences: Payoff, Joy, and Happy Money Score.
Payoff offers loans as a simpler way to say goodbye to credit card debt by reducing multiple high-interest payments into one low-rate monthly payment.
Joy is a mobile app that helps you track your finances and boost your well-being at the same time. Joy offers money coaching, a savings strategy, a unique way to track your spending, and shareable reads on finances and happiness, giving you a place to get organized, get on track, and get inspired. By breaking down purchases into “happy spending” and “sad spending,” you can tap into the psychology behind your buying—which can help you can spend happier and save more!
Happy Money Score incorporates a person’s psychology and motivation to make credit decisions and financial recommendations that are more human. We’re focused on the intersection between a person’s psychology and how they make financial decisions.
ABOUT THE JOB
Happy Money is seeking an exceptional, motivated attorney to join our legal and compliance team. In this role, you will work closely with the Company’s General Counsel and key members of our legal and compliance team to navigate the wide range of issues involved in growing and protecting Happy Money’s business. You will partner with other business teams to develop new products while managing legal risk and ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Provide guidance to product and engineering teams on issues related to new and existing products and features throughout the entire product development lifecycle
- Negotiate commercial agreements affecting Happy Money’s products and services
- Provide ideas and insights into how Happy Money can create amazing product experiences while managing legal and business risks
- Remain up-to-date on relevant industry, consumer protection, advertising, IP, and privacy laws and regulations to help us stay ahead of the game
- Work on ad hoc legal compliance projects, that may be assigned from time to time which contribute to the overall success of Happy Money
- JD from an accredited US law school with excellent academic credentials and references
- 4+ years of combined, relevant experience in law firms, and/or in-house legal departments
- Familiarity with launching financial services products and advising on the legal and regulatory aspects of product development in the technology spaceKnowledge of regulations in the financial services area, including FCRA, state lending and payments laws, TILA, with experience advising on advertising and marketing
- Excellent commercial negotiation and drafting skills
- Fluency translating legal advice into actionable guidance for innovative product and business teams
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and manage projects effectively
- Sound and practical business judgment, intellectual creativity, and problem-solving skillsPassionate about tech, finance and the law
- Currently eligible to practice in California
- Willing to work on-site in our Costa Mesa, CA headquarters
WHY WE’RE AWESOME
- Rich employee medical benefits offering—most paid 100% by Happy Money!
- Unlimited vacation policy!
- Unlimited snacks, coffee, teas—whatever you’re into, we’ve got it!
- Weekly Happy Money Hour—we love to mingle and enjoy great brews!