The Transaction Management team is responsible for leading negotiations from the term sheet through to lease signing. Given the company’s deal volume, the Transaction Management team is responsible for driving the process, making business decisions, drafting leases and ancillary documents, and providing day-to-day counsel to internal teams on construction/design, risk management and dispute resolution issues. As a dedicated member of a territory deal team, this role requires a deep understanding of commercial leasing terms and passion for working cross-functionally to meet region and territory goals. This person will report to the Senior Director, Real Estate and Special Counsel, Headquarters by WeWork who is based in New York City.
- Negotiate, draft and structure lease and occupancy agreements, as well as ancillary documents such as SNDAs, estoppel certificates and access agreements, across a large domestic and international portfolio.
- Confer with stakeholders, including construction and design, building operations, and finance to ensure each department’s needs are met to secure the best possible WeWork member experience
- Manage outside counsel and leverage them for drafting and in-person or teleconference negotiations as needed
- Contribute to investment committee presentations (and other meetings) and have up-to-date knowledge of major projects, deals and goals
- Create and facilitate processes so we can work towards the smoothest and fastest possible transactions
- Escalate cross-departmental or business issues to the real estate regional head and global head of transactions
- JD required
- Member of State Bar required (CA or NY preferred)
- Either 5 or more years of relevant work experience in commercial real estate law at a top-tier firm or in-house legal department, or 3 or more years of significant leasing experience at a top-tier law firm or in-house legal department
- Strong desire to contribute to a cross-functional team which is responsible with handling a mix of business and legal objectives
- Excellent drafting and negotiation capabilities in leases and alternative deal structures
- Strong understanding of both the commercial real estate industry and the interplay between legal and business risk
- Impeccable and concise communication and presentation skills, verbal and written
- Reliable, focused and detail-oriented
- Demonstrated ability to consistently meet deadlines under pressure
- Strong time-management skills and experience managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to understand business needs, demonstrate sound judgment and partner with the business teams to formulate solutions
- Ability and willingness to travel to negotiation sites in LA area and to New York City for training purposes.