The Office of Enforcement Operations (OEO) provides investigative and prosecutorial support, legal advice, and statutorily required review and approval in almost 40 distinct subject areas. OEO oversees the use of the most sophisticated investigative tools at the federal government’s disposal, including electronic surveillance, the Federal Witness Security Program, media subpoenas, attorney subpoenas and search warrants, and witness immunity requests.
The incumbent will serve as a Trial Attorney in the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)/Privacy Act (PA) Unit. Duties include:
- Assisting the Unit Chief and Deputy Chief in processing of Division records, requested pursuant to the FOIA or PA, and ensuring searches and processing are conducted in accordance with applicable laws, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Assisting in preparation of pleading and in the defense of the Criminal Division in litigation brought under the FOIA/PA.
- Providing direction to staff by providing technical direction when needed. Planning and assigning work to subordinates, evaluating work performance, providing advice and instruction to staff, making recommendations to the Chief and Deputy Chief on training needs.
- Reviewing Division records located as a result of FOIA or PA requests and having first-line responsibility for determining whether these records should be released in full, in part, or withheld. Recommending whether or not a document should be classified or declassified in whole or in part.
- Making recommendations to supervisors in presenting the Division’s views to reviewing official where an appeal from the Division’s initial FOIA or PA determination is being challenged by way of an administrative appeal within the Department. Ensuring that any subsequent release of Division information is properly coordinated within the Division.
- Assisting in the establishment of Division policy. As appropriate, commenting on, or initiating regulations, and preparing or supervising the preparation of Division directives relating to the application and implementation of the FOIA and/or PA. Assisting in the preparation of new PA systems of records for Division components, and working with components to ensure their publication in the Federal Register.
- Assisting in the preparation of statistical reports for both the Congress and internal use to reflect Division’s activities under FOIA and PA during each fiscal year.