Who we are:
KeepTruckin is on a mission to modernize the trucking industry. With the leading fleet management platform, we are bringing trucks online and fundamentally changing the way freight is moved on our roads.
We are a Forbes Cloud 100 company and we’ve been recognized by Glassdoor as a “Best Place to Work” in 2019. We’re on the hunt to find talented individuals to join our growing team.
Located in the city’s South of Market (SOMA) neighborhood, the KeepTruckin headquarters is a walk away from Oracle Park (go Giants!) and Union Square. Our building—built in 1923—has a unique industrial, open feel made comfortable with countless comfy couches and beautiful greenery. When they’re not working, you can find fellow team members playing pool, enjoying the rooftop view, and exploring this historical city.
KeepTruckin is looking for an experienced, self-motivated, and forward-thinking Senior Counsel – Labor & Employment to join its growing in-house legal team and support the company’s global workforce. The Senior Counsel will report to the Assistant General Counsel and work closely with KT’s business and operations units, in particular its Human Resources team, to deliver the highest quality legal advice and strategic business guidance on a broad range of labor and employment matters. The ideal candidate will be a natural communicator and team player with extraordinary business judgment, unquestioned personal integrity, and the ability to lead as well as collaborate.
- Supporting all aspects of KT’s employment activities and playing a leading role in ensuring the company’s compliance with U.S. and local foreign laws
- Providing day-today legal advice and counsel to the HR and other business teams on a variety of employment matters
- Providing risk assessment and strategic guidance to internal clients, including partnering with HR to conduct workplace investigations
- Drafting and managing all employment-related templates, including offer letters, commission plans, separation agreements, performance reviews, disciplinary documents, employee handbooks and policies, etc.
- Staying current on employment law developments and best practices, and providing training and updates to the HR and other business teams, as needed
- Supporting the Assistant General Counsel to build and scale the legal function at KT
- Strong academic credentials, including a J.D. from a top law school and licensed to practice in California
- 8-10 years of labor and employment law experience (ideal candidate will have a mix of experience at a top-tier law firm plus additional in-house experience)
- Demonstrated ability to provide strategic advice and legal counsel on all aspects of employment law, including: discrimination, harassment and retaliation; disability, FMLA, leaves of absence, ADA and reasonable accommodation; wage and hour and FLSA exemption issues; contingent workers; non-competition and other restrictive covenants; and whistleblowing
- Willingness to think outside of the box and to take on responsibilities outside of your wheelhouse
- Strong interpersonal skills, along with the ability to communicate effectively with others at all levels of the organization (experience interacting at a senior level with business management teams a plus)
- Self-motivated with the ability to work well independently
- Ability to effectively and efficiently manage outside counsel
- An individual with a great sense of humor and no ego who shares our vision that the legal team can be both a center of excellence and fun at the same time!
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity in the workforce. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally recognized basis, including, but not limited to; race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.