VMware seeks to add a highly talented lawyer to its legal team supporting the company’s Licensing and Cloud Services Infrastructure businesses. This Corporate Counsel position will be based in any United States city in which VMware Legal has an office (such as Atlanta, GA, Austin, TX, Bellevue, WA, Broomfield, CO, or Reston, VA) or elsewhere in some circumstances. This position will report to the Director & Assistant General Counsel for Customer Infrastructure and Procurement. The position will be responsible for working with many business and legal teams to help VMware to develop, deploy, and maintain its license, hardware, and cloud service models for sales to end customers. The position may also include assisting with a variety of other legal matters as needed, including negotiation of licensing, goods, services, and procurement contracts.
Job Role and Responsibility:
- Work with business executives and VMware Legal teammates to develop legal documents and worldwide operations infrastructure to support VMware’s licensing and sales models (perpetual, subscription, and other).
- Develop and maintain appropriate license terms for new on-premise software offerings as the company releases or acquires them, and help to develop and maintain negotiation processes and tools for the company’s licensing and cloud services terms, including playbooks and training.
- Support VMware’s legal and business initiatives to streamline and scale the ways that it manages its sales contracting globally and negotiates customer agreements.
- Handle a variety of special projects as needed, including developing business efficiencies, and assisting other members of our legal team with transactions and the development of templates, playbooks and training across the company’s many technology and other sales businesses.
- Perform other projects as assigned.
- 7 or more years of experience with a leading law firm, as in-house counsel, or both.
- Substantial experience with software contract drafting, including licensing (perpetual, subscription, and distribution) and/or cloud services, with proven skills in structuring and negotiating commercial transactions, and working effectively with business teams on the legal aspects of sales contracting.
- Record of excellence and leadership in past jobs and academics, and of enthusiasm for learning.
- Strong business acumen, including ability to exercise good judgment about sensible business risks.
- Demonstrated ability as a self-starter who operates well in a fast-paced business that strongly values teamwork and excellence, as well as execution, customers, community, and utmost integrity.Must also be able to work independently and creatively as a problem-solver.
- Excellent written and oral communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills – including ability to collaborate with, train and influence a wide variety of legal and business colleagues.
- Active bar membership in a jurisdiction in which VMware operates.
- Substantial experience in-house with a cloud services company, and with its terms of service, commercial contracts, and processes for sales and services, is strongly preferred.
- Experience with both U.S. and international transactions, and with developing and improving scalable offerings and programs for sales, support, and channel models, is strongly preferred.
- Experience with global data privacy regulation is preferred.
H1B sponsorship is not available for this position