PURPOSE OF ROLE:
The Corporate Counsel, Employment Law Services position is a Director-level attorney position primarily responsible for providing daily legal support for individual Employment Law related matters while advising various business units and allied businesses regarding the interaction between strategic plans for the business and Employment Law requirements. The Counsel, Employment Law will be responsible for maintaining expertise in this area of law and making broad connections concerning the impacts to the business regarding changes in the legal landscape while also driving to completion projects designed to minimize enterprise risk while increasing employee effectiveness.
This position reports to a Vice President-Assistant General Counsel within the Employment Law group of the Legal Department and works closely with other members of the Department as well as other business units including Human Resources, Operations, Supply Chain, Merchandising, Information Technology, Commercial Sales, Public Relations, Government Relations, Marketing, Business Development, International, Allied Businesses, and Risk Management.
- The responsibilities of this position may include responding to administrative charges and inquires, mediating claims with Federal, State, and Local EEO agencies, providing legal advice and service to business unit Vice Presidents, Directors and Managers in connection with changes in Employment law and/or the interplay with new business initiatives, and other legal and regulatory issues which may be connected.
- The Corporate Counsel will also be expected to leverage their experience and general legal knowledge to identify other issues which may require collaboration with other members of the legal team to accomplish business goals while minimizing risk.
- The successful Corporate Counsel, Employment Law Services candidate must have a strong working knowledge of multi-jurisdictional Employment Law requirements, including familiarity with state leave and break laws, workplace safety requirements, wage and hour mandates, and whistleblower protections while recognizing issues implicating potential enforcement actions by the NLRB, DOL, EEOC, OSHA, and other federal and state regulatory agencies.
- Counsel will also support certain international operations periodically.
- The Corporate Counsel, Employment Law Services position will collaborate directly with business unit leaders and work closely with Human Resources teams, including Employee Relations, Compensation, Benefits, Human Resources Information Systems, HR Shared Services, Leadership and Development, and associated HR generalists.
This position presents a career opportunity to contribute to and develop within a dynamic legal department in a fast-paced, change-oriented omni-channel retail environment.
- JD from an ABA accredited institution
- Licensed to practice law and in good standing in at least one state
- 8 or more years of substantive Employment Law counseling and litigation management with a law firm and/or an in-house legal department.
- Significant prior employment law experience with a law firm or in-house corporate legal department
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to multi-task and manage a substantial work load in a fast-paced environment
- Strong writing, analytical and communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team
Line of Business
0135 – Legal
Employment Type I
Employment Type II
1000 Lowes Boulevard
Lowe’s is an equal opportunity employer and administers all personnel practices without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, age, ancestry, national origin, mental or physical disability or medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other category protected under federal, state, or local law.