Job Location: United States : New York : New York
Role Value Proposition:
In Legal Affairs, we strive to attract, develop and retain diverse talent with the potential to be future leaders of our department and of MetLife as a whole. We seek legal and compliance professionals who demonstrate high intellectual capacity to understand complex matters facing our company, combined with strong leadership competencies to motivate and inspire higher performance by all our professionals. We take an active role in developing the skills of our talent and guiding their professional growth. By promoting skill development and career advancement for our professionals we are better positioned to serve our internal business partners and to help achieve MetLife’s vision of becoming a world-class leader in the insurance, retirement savings and employee benefits industries.
As part of the IP/Global Technology and State Insurance Regulation team of lawyers, the attorney works on a wide variety of legal and regulatory matters affecting MetLife as a global financial services company. The attorney must be a patent attorney admitted to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office who possesses the skill to advise a broad range of business partners on patentability issues and other intellectual property matters.
The attorney must have significant technology and cybersecurity subject matter expertise, including significant experience advising on innovation and enterprise digital strategy and negotiating and documenting IT transactions. As part of the IP/Global Technology and State Insurance Regulation team of lawyers, the attorney works on a wide variety of legal and regulatory matters affecting MetLife as a global financial services company. The attorney must be a patent attorney admitted to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office who possesses the skill to advise a broad range of business partners on patentability issues and other intellectual property matters. The attorney must have significant technology and cybersecurity subject matter expertise, including significant experience advising on innovation and enterprise digital strategy and negotiating and documenting IT transactions.
The attorney will identify and resolve legal issues through research, analysis, creativity and teamwork; developing deep expertise in the technology and digital issues confronting the enterprise and providing candid advice on patent, intellectual property, innovation and cybersecurity issues and on IT transactions.
The occupant of this position will:
- Oversee and manage all aspects of the enterprise patent portfolio, including prosecution, maintenance and licensing.
- Review patents and patent applications in the contexts of mergers, acquisitions and investments.
- Provide business partners with guidance and advice on how to protect the intellectual property of the enterprise, especially with respect to business method patents.
- Develop strategies with respect to exploitation of existing intellectual property and to establishing defenses to allegations of infringement by third party rights holders.
- Advise the innovation team with respect to new inventions, processes and products.
- Serve as a strategic partner to help identify and mitigate risk.
- Help assess acquisition of innovative properties.
- Help enable the roll out of the enterprise digital strategy.
- Identify data integrity and cross-border issues for global initiatives.
- Negotiate and draft IT transaction agreements, including vendor contracts and intercompany agreements.
- Provide support to M&A transactions, including through transition services agreements, licenses and data access arrangements.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
The successful candidate:
Holds the following required credentials:
- Juris dctor degree from an accredited law school;
- NYS (r other appropriate) bar admission;
- admitted t practice before the PTO.
- Has 8 -10 years minimum f transactional and/or regulatory experience at a major law firm and/or in-house legal department, reflecting a record of accomplishment.
- Exhibits good business acumen and familiarity with the market and regulatory landscape affecting global financial services companies.
- Possesses exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively develop and manage various relationships; effectively influence; and develop others via mentoring, coaching and feedback.
- Exhibits crisp, clear oral and written communication skills; in particular, the ability to reduce legal issues to straightforward practical analysis and advice.
- Has significant experience counseling senior executives.
- Is comfortable working in a global environment and shows cultural awareness and sensitivity in interpersonal transactions.
- Balances competing demands and multiple deadline-sensitive matters; helps assess business priorities.
- Works with, guides, and manages outside counsel for MetLife on matters, to the extent they are engaged on those matters.
- Keeps business partners and colleagues apprised of relevant issues, developments and preventative law measures in privacy.
- Communicates frequently with Law Department management on issues and progress of matters in order to maintain effectiveness and to coordinate with those working on other matters.
- Demonstrates skills as a creative problem-solver, self-starter and hard worker, with the desire to grow with the position.
- Exhibits detail-orientation, with very good organizational skills and experience in advising business partners.
- Follows through to ensure advice is acted upon, and that ethical, legal and business issues are raised to appropriate levels.
- Insurance and/or other financial services industry experience a plus.
Domestic and international calls are frequent; some travel may be required.
Number of Openings
At MetLife, we’re leading the global transformation of an industry we’ve long defined. United in purpose, diverse in perspective, we’re dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers.”
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife’s policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
For immediate consideration, click the Apply Now button. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job.