“HP is ranked among the Top Companies to work. Among the recognitions include, One of the World’s Most Attractive Employers by Universum Global, One of the Top Companies for Women Technologists by Anita Borg Institute, One of the Top 10 Fortune 500 Companies Millennials are most excited to work for by SurveyMonkey, and Working Mother 100 Best Companies for 27 years. Furthermore, HP has received two consecutive Diversity Leader Awards from Profiles in Diversity Journal. HP was also awarded the Gold Medal by World Environment Center for International Corporate Achievement in Sustainable Development.”
HP is a proven leader in personal systems and printing, delivering innovations that empower people to create, interact, and inspire like never before. We leverage our strong financial position to extend our leadership in traditional markets and invest in exciting new technologies.
HP has an impressive portfolio and strong innovation pipeline across areas such as:
Blended reality technology – our unique Sprout by HP will change the way people do things
- 3D printing
- Multi-function printing
- Ink in the office
- Tablets, phablets, notebooks
- Mobile workstations
We’re looking for visionaries who are ready to make an impact on the way the world works. At HP, the future’s yours to create!
HP Inc.’s Patent Development Group is seeking a highly motivated patent attorney to join its legal team. In this role, Counsel will support the Patent Development Group’s efforts to build and maintain a high quality patent portfolio that furthers the goals of HP’s dynamic business. More specifically, the successful candidate will be responsible for personally drafting and prosecuting strategic, high quality patent applications, while supporting the department in a number of other activities critical for its success.
This unique opportunity will offer significant promotional and rotational opportunities. Successful candidates begin their careers in the Patent Development group and personally design their career path based on their goals and interests. Future roles can include patent portfolio management in Patent Development, rotations to IP Transactions & Counseling or IP Sales & Licensing, and Director or VP level leadership roles.
- Drafting patent applications and office action responses.
- Managing patent applications throughout the patent lifecycle by working directly with HP’s inventor community, personally drafting and prosecuting high quality patent applications for strategically important inventions, and interacting with worldwide patent offices to secure valuable patent coverage
- Actively participating in HP’s invention disclosure review process to help ensure that HP’s best inventions are identified and patented
- Analyzing pending patent applications to determine their value to HP and to formulate a global filing strategy
- Assisting patent portfolio managers with analysis of HP’s patent portfolio, including preparation of claim charts
- Collaborating with engineers in invention mining sessions, patent scrubs, and patent education sessions
- Actively engaging in training, knowledge sharing, and other career development opportunities to hone technical and legal abilities and prepare for promotional or rotational opportunities
- Participating from time to time as a member of a cross functional team to provide support in licensing, litigation, or other matters
Education and Experience Required:
- A B.S. degree and/or advanced degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Physics, or Computer Science
- A J.D. degree from an accredited university and admission to a state bar
- Admission to practice before the USPTO
- 1 to 7 years of experience preparing and prosecuting patent applications
- Strong academic credentials
- Preference for candidates who have personally drafted at least 10 patent applications
- Ability to work with clients in a team-oriented partnership to help them arrive at elegant solutions to their problems
- Flexibility to accept new and different challenges in a fast paced, high-tech environment
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- A positive attitude, creative spirit, passion for IP law, and strong motivation to excel
Please attach a resume, cover letter, and a recent writing sample, such as a published patent application and/or published Office Action response.