Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The Staff & Retained Counsel division represents policyholders in claims-related litigation/disputes through staff counsel offices throughout multiple states and, when appropriate, through the retention of outside law firms around the country. It also represents the company in a variety of litigation as well. This group is responsible for leading, coordinating and advancing Allstate’s large nationwide staff counsel organization and the strategic management of the Claims panel of retained outside counsel. The Staff & Retained Counsel group works closely with our Claim Department as well as the company’s regions to regularly assess both short and long-term strategic needs, direction and trends.
Represent clients who are customers of Allstate Insurance Company, Encompass, and Esurance (“the Company”) in the defense of bodily injury liability and property damage liability lawsuits. Represent the Company in the defense of certain uninsured/underinsured motorist claims. The Trial Attorney will conduct examinations under oath of claimants asserting claims against the Company under their insurance policies and, acquire broad knowledge of the Company, your business area’s processes and procedures as well as best practices. The Trial Attorney will be primarily responsible for managing your assigned cases by acquiring, compiling and integrating case-related information and legal research, developing and implementing litigation strategies in cooperation with your clients and claims personnel, developing and implementing litigation tactics to obtain prompt resolution of claims, and achieving team objectives.
• Effectively negotiate settlements including all aspects of liability and damages
• Attend hearings and conduct trials
• Argue motions; take effective depositions of lay and expert witnesses
• Consult with clients, opposing counsel and the judiciary
• Coordinate the case handling with claims personnel
• Complete necessary system documentation
• Assist other attorneys in resolving calendar conflicts
• Juris Doctorate degree and member in good standing of New Jersey State Bar
• Up to five years Insurance Defense, Subrogation and/or Personal Injury litigation experience
• Trial and/or Arbitration experience is preferred, with flexibility to work across several disciplines that may include SIU, PIP, EUO’s.
• No Fault and/or SIU experience is a plus.
• Computer skills required; experience with Microsoft Office, Lexis, and the internet
• Ability to work well with others on a team of attorneys, paralegals, administrative assistants, supervised by an attorney Lead Counsel
• Must be able to handle a large caseload
• Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills are key to working with a variety of internal and external contacts as well as for preparing reports, pleadings, and correspondence, collaborating with others, etc. Will work independently as well as part of a cohesive team.
• Ability to travel
• Periodically lifting in excess of 20 pounds throughout the day, depending on court matters being handled. Attorneys are required to cover court matters for each other; attorneys have laptops.
• Bending to pick up the computer bag which sometimes is more than 20 pounds, entering and exiting a vehicle, maneuvering files and computer at security checkpoints
• Turning and twisting at work
• Driving at least 40-50 miles daily depending on the activities being covered, court, doctors’ depositions, discovery depositions, and case evaluations, etc.
• Sitting for pro-longed periods of time en route to court, in court or at court proceedings, depositions, etc.
• Walking and rolling brief case with files from vehicle to the legal proceeding and/or deposition and facilitations, etc.
• Trial preparation could require lifting in excess 20 lbs. because of exhibits, materials, records from plaintiff, etc. These materials are printed for some proceedings.
- At times EUO’s will be conducted which may require more than 60 miles travel
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click “here” for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click “here” for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.