Oak Point is seeking an attorney with bankruptcy and/or litigation experience to fill an in-house position in its Skokie, Illinois main office. Oak Point is a growing private investment firm that specializes in the acquisition of residual assets from commercial bankruptcy estates. Its portfolio includes the remnant assets of more than 700 acquisitions, including those of former Fortune 500 companies, such as Advanta Corp, Borders Group, Inc., Collins & Aikman Corporation, Fleming Companies, Heilig-Meyers, LTV Steel Company, Mervyn’s Department Stores, Refco Securities, Service Merchandise, and Tower Records. The ideal candidate will have strong communication skills, expertise in commercial bankruptcy law or litigation, and the ability to work autonomously.
- Draft contracts, sale motions and orders, affidavits, and legal correspondence.
- Research, analyze, and address bankruptcy and other legal issues that arise in connection with acquisitions.
- Assist with the recovery and collection of acquired assets, including judgment enforcement and general litigation matters.
- Work with sourcing department to negotiate deal terms and respond to objections or overbids.
- Understand the bankruptcy cycle, identify residual bankruptcy estate opportunities and leverage relationships to secure opportunities.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail.
- Must be well organized with the ability to balance multiple tasks simultaneously and efficiently prioritize matters.
- Team player with the ability to work in an entrepreneurial environment and consider both legal and business perspectives of issues presented to ensure resolutions that are in the best interests of the company.
- Strong work ethic and ability to work independently, with discretion to seek guidance on issues requiring escalation to executive and legal department management
- Creative and articulate communicator with the ability to work with people at all levels of understanding.
- Juris Doctorate (JD) with admission to at least one state bar, preferably Illinois.
- At least 4 years of experience as a bankruptcy or litigation attorney in a law firm or within an in-house legal department in an attorney role.
- Expertise in bankruptcy laws and an understanding of the restructuring industry and process under chapters 7 and 11. Alternatively, deep expertise with litigation and judgment enforcement process.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Excel.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience together with a benefits package and discretionary bonus potential. In-house position in collegial and entrepreneurial environment and good corporate culture.
No agencies please.