Who is Taco Bell?
Taco Bell Corp., a subsidiary of Yum! Brands, Inc. (NYSE: YUM), is the nation’s leading Mexican-inspired quick service restaurant (QSR) brand. From breakfast to late night, Taco Bell serves made-to-order and customizable tacos and burritos, among other craveable choices, and is the first QSR restaurant to offer American Vegetarian Association (AVA)-certified menu items. Taco Bell and its more than 350 franchise organizations proudly serve over 42 million customers each week through nearly 7,000 restaurants across the nation, as well as through its mobile, desktop and delivery ordering services.
Overseas, Taco Bell has over 400 restaurants, with plans to add 2,000 more restaurants internationally within the next decade. The brand encourages its fans to “Live Más” and connects with them through sports, gaming and new music via its Feed The Beat® music program. Taco Bell also provides education opportunities and serves the community through its nonprofit organization, the Taco Bell® Foundation™, and connects fans with their passions through programs such as the Live Más Scholarship program. In 2016, Taco Bell was named as one of Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in the World.
About the Job:
Taco Bell is looking to hire an experienced attorney for the role of Legal Counsel, Employment. This position is accountable for providing strategic, business-focused legal support to our Human Resources and Operations teams. The successful candidate will have a passion for providing world-class legal support by collaboratively working across business units while consistently modelling Taco Bell’s unique Live Mas Culture.
- Providing advice and counsel on employment-related matters, including employment discrimination and harassment claims, retaliation, disability accommodations and leave requests, wage & hour claims, personnel policies, compliance and procedures.
- Investigating and responding to employment-related charges, notices, complaints, and demands.
- Supervising outside counsel in the defense of employment related lawsuits.
- Supporting, developing, and implementing employment-related policies and procedures, training, and compliance programs.
- Keeping apprised of, and developing policies for, employment related best practices and newly enacted state and federal employment laws.
- Other tasks as assigned by Director, Legal and also the Global Chief Legal Officer.
Is This You?
- Capability to immediately lead a team and over time assume a leadership role in Taco Bell or another Yum! Brands, Inc. Law Department.
- Juris Doctorate degree or equivalent required.
- Licensed member in good standing of a State Bar, with strong preference for admission to the California State Bar.
- 5-8 years of relevant legal experience required; some in-house experience preferred.
- Experience providing legal support for clients in restaurant or retail industries preferred.
- Must be a team player and relationship builder, with the ability to adapt in a fast paced and rapidly changing environment.
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision, and be willing to work on, and prioritize, a broad range of legal matters simultaneously.
- Strong interpersonal skills required.
- Some travel required.
Why Taco Bell?
We truly believe that where you work matters, and we know a thing or two about what makes employees happy. Join us on our mission of feeding people’s lives with más!
- Year round half-day Fridays
- Free snacks, drinks and bagel & donut Fridays
- Onsite childcare through Bright Horizons
- Onsite dining center and game room (yes, there is a Taco Bell inside the building)
- Onsite dry cleaning, laundry services, carwash, salon services
- Onsite gym with fitness classes and personal trainer sessions
- 4 weeks of vacation per year plus holidays and time off for volunteering
- Tuition reimbursement and education benefits
- Discounts for life’s adventures (ex: theme parks, wireless plans, etc.)
- Generous parental leave for all new parents and adoption assistance program
- Opportunity to taste test new products
- 401(k) with a 6% matching contribution from Yum! Brands with immediate vesting
- Comprehensive medical and dental including prescription drug benefits and 100% preventive care
- Healthcare and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Opportunities to support the Taco Bell Foundation’s educational initiatives and programs.
- Recognition based culture and unique, fun events year round (recess at work, Halloween Spooktacular, employee art show benefiting Taco Bell Foundation, etc.)