KAR Auction Services (NYSE:KAR) is a global Fortune 700 company headquartered in the Indianapolis suburb of Carmel, Indiana, with 18,000 employees across the United States, Canada, Mexico and Europe. Our diverse team helps the world’s largest automotive manufacturers, financial institutions, insurance companies and dealer groups buy, sell and trade used vehicles. Last year we facilitated the sale of more than 5.95 million units valued at over $40 billion through our physical, online, and digital/mobile auction marketplaces.
KAR is seeking an Associate Corporate Counsel to join its legal team. Reporting to the Vice President, IP & Technology Counsel, the Associate Corporate Counsel will be a team-oriented transactional attorney with substantial technology experience that will provide contract drafting, negotiation, and management, as well as general commercial advice and regulatory compliance support, particularly with regard to vendor management and global privacy and data protection.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Draft, review and negotiate a wide variety of commercial agreements, including professional services agreements, technology agreements, software and open source licenses, data processing agreements, vendor contracts and NDAs.
- Provide legal advice and support to a variety of internal groups, including serving as the primary attorney for the IT and procurement teams.
- Advise and assist in administering the organization’s vendor management program in close partnership with the procurement, IT, data science and information security teams.
- Support the company’s data governance and strategic initiatives for data processing and security controls related to data analytics, API integrations and other inbound and outbound data flows.
- Assist with implementing and maintaining the organization’s privacy program, including advising and guiding implementation of process changes, maintenance of policies and procedures, training and monitoring of privacy and data-related compliance and adherence to global privacy requirements and standards.
- Assist with data security incident investigation, response and remediation.
- Support the implementation of the legal department’s document management system, including identifying and implementing process improvements and innovation within the legal department and the enterprise-wide contracts management system.
Educational Requirements and Qualifications:
- J.D. degree and membership in at least one U.S. state bar.
- 4+ years of experience in a law firm or in-house legal department (preferably a mix of both law firm and in-house experience), with significant transactional experience (including negotiating and drafting contracts).
- Must be detail-oriented and organized with excellent communications skills (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills in dealing both inside and outside the organization.
- Must be able to manage a heavy workload in a fast-paced environment, including the ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks with frequent interruptions.
- Must demonstrate a high level of integrity and professionalism in the workplace.
- Must have familiarly with, or willingness to learn, applicable business and matter management systems, including SpringCM, DocuSign, NetDocuments and Salesforce.