How This Role Contributes to Brighthouse Financial:
This position represents the unique opportunity to work for a start-up, but one with long-standing experience in the financial services industry. The candidate must be able to provide excellent legal advice and representation, have demonstrated a high degree of discretion and judgment, have the intellectual curiosity to keep abreast of the changing legal climate on issues relevant to a national provider of income and protection products and services, and to have a strong commitment to personal growth, demonstrating leadership and developing talent.
The attorney will join a team of lawyers responsible for providing insurance-related legal advice to the Insurance Products Group in the Product and Funds Unit in connection with the issuance and maintenance of Brighthouse Financial life and annuity products. This team performs the insurance-related legal work in connection with the development of life and annuity products offered in a variety of tax-qualified and non-qualified markets, including filings with state insurance departments. The team also provides day-to-day legal advice to our business partners in connection with the administration, marketing, and distribution of life and annuity products.
- Handle complex legal matters, analyze legal (and business, where applicable) issues, draft legal documents, and negotiate matters and solve intricate problems using sound legal judgment and expertise, without supervision;
- Build and maintain client relationships with diplomacy and by providing insightful, timely, pragmatic, and proactive counsel without supervision.
- Prepare, initiate, advocate and effectively present legal points and recommendations to influence clients and to represent clients as legal counsel.
- Educate self and business partners on legal developments affecting business and provides innovative strategies to address those developments.
- Regularly interface with other in-house subject matter legal, government relations and compliance counsel for complex issues.
- Work on or lead project or cross-functional teams.
- Guide junior attorneys, paraprofessionals or administrative staff.
- Advise business areas on all aspects of product design and modification.
- Advise business areas on new and existing state regulatory requirements including e-commerce.
- Advise business area on operations issues impacting the life and annuity business.
- Review sales literature.
- Perform other duties as required.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- J.D. and excellent academic credentials.
- Admitted to practice in at least one state.
- At least 5-10 years relevant practice post bar admission.
- Candidates must have an in-depth knowledge of state insurance laws and experience relating to insurance regulatory examinations and a working knowledge of life, insurance, fixed and variable annuities, investment products and contracts law.
- Demonstrated commitment to leadership and developing talent.
- Demonstrated record of attention to detail, sense of urgency, ability to handle substantial workload effectively (i.e., establish priorities, adhere to deadlines).
- Willingness to partner with colleagues and business partners to contribute to success of the company.
- Ability to thrive as a team member and individual contributor in a high-performance culture.
- Provide creative input in culture of continuous improvement with respect to policies and procedures of the Business Law Group and our business partners.
- Candidate will be able to work under the limited supervision of a senior attorney.
- Candidates must have excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to handle multiple projects and assignments effectively and must be able to deal comfortably with business partners and others at all levels within the company.