We are seeking an entrepreneurial, motivated and experienced intellectual property (IP) counsel to play a primary role with the company’s strategic IP efforts worldwide. Reporting to the Senior Director of Patents, this attorney will support 10x Genomics’ business in connection with IP portfolio objectives and management, and contribute on an individual basis to patent and trademark prosecution and maintenance.
- Strategic contributor to the drafting, prosecution and maintenance of 10x’s patents and trademarks. Able to provide hands-on direction and input to outside counsel, and to draft/review a wide variety of work product. Able to contribute to global patent strategy as needed over time with a focus on alignment of the patent portfolio with 10x’s business needs, priorities and resources.
- Identifying and navigating patent and trademark opportunities and risks worldwide for 10x Genomics’ business, programs and operations
- Strategic contributor to IP due diligence, technology assessments and FTO analyses in potential strategic transactions (including M&A, licensing and financing), as well as utilization of outside counsel in the same
- Proactively counseling all levels of the organization on IP matters, ranging from broad strategic objectives to day-to-day collaboration with and input to 10x’s research and development groups and teams
- Collaborating with in-house and outside counsel on IP-related proceedings, challenges, disputes and litigation
Required Skills and Background
- JD degree and member of patent bar
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience in life sciences, biotechnology or closely related patent areas, preferably with some in-house experience
- Skilled at integrating legal advice with business acumen and sound judgment
- Able to serve as a strong business partner, collaborator and project manager
- Excellent writing, communication, organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to strategically educate and support fellow employees
- Self-directed and proactive, comfortable executing on multiple projects independently and in collaboration with others
- Skilled at managing outside counsel